Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Hey, where is Aiglos these days, anyhow?

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Nov 16 2018, 5:17am

Post #1 of 14 (4288 views)
Shortcut
Hey, where is Aiglos these days, anyhow? Can't Post

Does Elrond have it in a broom closet or what?

squire
Half-elven

Nov 16 2018, 11:19am

Post #2 of 14 (4218 views)
Shortcut
Take a left at the largest stone troll [In reply to] Can't Post

Three caves down, you can't miss it (even if Thorin's company did).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 16 2018, 3:53pm

Post #3 of 14 (4201 views)
Shortcut
Do you suppose it was broken like Narsil was? [In reply to] Can't Post

At the Council of Elrond, he skips over its fate:

‘I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aeglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father’s sword, and took it for his own.’

Broken or not, it probably is in a broom closet.

But here's one for you: how could Narsil's shard cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand but not be destroyed, whereas Strider says of the Witch-King:

all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King.

So Narsil can pierce Sauron and Glamdring can hew the Balrog (and Fingolfin's sword could repeatedly stab Morgoth), but a sword used on a lesser being like the Witch-king will always perish. Why is that?

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 16 2018, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 14 (4188 views)
Shortcut
You see, what Aragorn meant by "all blades" [In reply to] Can't Post

was actually all non-magical unnamed weapons. Magical weapons with names get a saving throw.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 16 2018, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 14 (4162 views)
Shortcut
So when Merry stabbed the Witch-king with a magical blade [In reply to] Can't Post

its warranty wasn't covered because it was unnamed? You did word that carefully!

For some reason I wish Frodo had stabbed the Witch-king with Sting somewhere in the story, because I like Sting, and it's magical and has a name (well, named by Bilbo, though it doesn't have a proper Elven name, so maybe that doesn't count).

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 17 2018, 12:39pm

Post #6 of 14 (4107 views)
Shortcut
I like that Bilbo named Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to believe that even though it was an unnamed Elven blade, the fact that Bilbo named it Sting gave it some Hobbit magic instead. As Francis Bacon said there's power in naming things.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 18 2018, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (4048 views)
Shortcut
I think it says something [In reply to] Can't Post

that neither Gandalf nor the Elves ever felt the name to rename Sting with a real Elven name for Bilbo's sake, which makes me think that its name was valid enough as is.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2018, 11:41pm

Post #8 of 14 (3911 views)
Shortcut
I've thought this one before [In reply to] Can't Post

And that it is quite strange that so much is made of Isildur's sword but Gil-Galard's spear was never mentioned again in deeds of the third age. And it would have been a powerful weapon for someone to have!

No One in Particular
Lorien

Nov 26 2018, 1:30am

Post #9 of 14 (3910 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

always assumed that it was destroyed when Gil-Galad fell.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 26 2018, 11:23am

Post #10 of 14 (3905 views)
Shortcut
Curtain rod [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's shower curtain to be specific.

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in
thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond
all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled
mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!"
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 26 2018, 10:46pm

Post #11 of 14 (3884 views)
Shortcut
I assume Elrond has it [In reply to] Can't Post

And probably wielded it in battle in the Third Age against Angmar.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Dec 12 2018, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 14 (3469 views)
Shortcut
Chestnuts, chestnuts [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's facile to suppose blade-immunity is proportional to evil or to power. Grendel's mother and the dragon are not proof against blades; only Grendel enjoys that particular precaution. In fact, maybe Sauron wove that anti-blade counterstrike into the Witch-King after the Last Alliance for that very reason. After all he was killed somehow; I always assume that owed chiefly to holes poked in him by those very weapons, among others. Or maybe the Witch-King did it himself thereafter.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 13 2018, 12:40am

Post #13 of 14 (3431 views)
Shortcut
When do you mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe it's facile to suppose blade-immunity is proportional to evil or to power. Grendel's mother and the dragon are not proof against blades; only Grendel enjoys that particular precaution. In fact, maybe Sauron wove that anti-blade counterstrike into the Witch-King after the Last Alliance for that very reason. After all he was killed somehow; I always assume that owed chiefly to holes poked in him by those very weapons, among others. Or maybe the Witch-King did it himself thereafter.

Are you referring to when the Lord of the Nazgűl first became a Wraith? Or when he was defeated at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields? Because the transformation from Man to Wraith seems to have been a gradual thing that did not involve dying or being killed in the usual sense.

But back to the original question: If the spear Aiglos/Aeglos survived into the Third Age then it was probably displayed with honor somewhere in Rivendell and might have seen use in later conflicts such as in the defense of Arthedain.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 13 2018, 12:45am)

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Dec 13 2018, 4:47pm

Post #14 of 14 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Whoops [In reply to] Can't Post

I was unclear. I meant after Sauron was--sort of--killed by Elendil, Gil-Galad and their retinue. Maybe after he began to operate again in a new form, he added the blade protections to the Witch-King at some point, much as he augmented him for the assault on Minas Tirith.

Or just as likely the Witch-King did that himself. Mighty in sorcery and all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.