Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you want to see Captain Marvel?
Poll: Do you want to see Captain Marvel?
I really want to see Captain Marvel!
I'll see it because it relates to Avengers 4
I'm not decided yet.
Nope! No way am I going to see this film.
Captain Marvel? What's that?
View Results (25 votes)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 4 2018, 10:56pm

Post #1 of 12 (3994 views)
Shortcut
Do you want to see Captain Marvel? Can't Post

This film has now released two trailers - and both have been receiving backlash. So what do you think about Marvel's newest superhero film, the first one led by a female hero and directed by a woman?

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 11:12pm

Post #2 of 12 (3964 views)
Shortcut
oh, so very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I blog about movies and I've already half-written my blogpost on this movie, referencing the Hindu myth of Durga, the warrior goddess who combats all evils and demonic forces that threaten peace, prosperity, and the good.

As for having a female lead and being directed by a woman: what's not to like?

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 4 2018, 11:20pm

Post #3 of 12 (3962 views)
Shortcut
*thumbs up* Oh yeah, I'm excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watched the trailer last night, those final shots of her flying through outer space, blowing up spaceships with her bare hands - it was so incredible to watch that!

Saruman
Bree

Dec 7 2018, 1:36am

Post #4 of 12 (3841 views)
Shortcut
RONAN THE ACCUSER! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see it so I can see Ronan the Accuser again on the big screen. He has a more comic-influenced suit this time around - it's green. In GotG, it was a similar style but was black and red.

Yeah, I like the bad guys. Evil
Plus, he's played by Lee Pace, our very own Thranduil!

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 7 2018, 1:49am

Post #5 of 12 (3839 views)
Shortcut
OMG, yes! His costume looks much better this time around! [In reply to] Can't Post

And who doesn't love Lee Pace? Laugh I'm so excited to see Ronan the Accuser! In fact, I'm excited to see all the Kree - Annete Benning's character looks really cool too; and JUDE LAW!!!

Saruman
Bree

Dec 7 2018, 1:58am

Post #6 of 12 (3837 views)
Shortcut
The Kree Empire [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I liked his armor in GotG, it has a mature, more sinister look than the green. But I'm loving what I've seen of his "new" armor (technically, it's his older armor, due to the events of CM taking place pre-GotG!) I'm excited to see how they explore Ronan's home world and more of his people. It has so much potential! And the Kree will be good in this movie and stand opposed to the Skrulls. I bet that Ronan is a huge fan-favorite because of his anti-hero role in this film.

(This post was edited by Saruman on Dec 7 2018, 2:00am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 7 2018, 10:28pm

Post #7 of 12 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Well...I will see it [In reply to] Can't Post

because it will undoubtedly tie into the just announced Avengers: Endgame movie. But I have mixed feelings about this. Brie's got such a soft voice, doesn't make me think "badass." Besides, I'm still a little miffed that the Black Widow movie didn't get made first. OTOH, some of the backlash is REALLY annoying! Makes me want to go see it just because!Mad

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 7 2018, 10:55pm

Post #8 of 12 (3769 views)
Shortcut
Black Widow's movie maybe should have been first [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since we know it's going to be a prequel anyway - why wasn't it a Phase 1 movie? But I'm still excited to see that one too; I hope very much that it's like Winter Soldier in tone, very gritty and dark.
As for the mixed feelings about Captain Marvel, I can see where both sides are coming from. Brie does have a soft voice, and I've seen a lot of people complaining about the way she says words; for instance, her line "I'm gonna end it" was getting a lot of heat, and her "Noble warrior-heroes" line. She's powerful, but her voice doesn't seem to match. Granted, for much of the film (or at least, much of what we've seen in the trailers) she's brainwashed by the Kree and trying to figure out why she can't remember her former life on Earth, so maybe that's why she sounds so quiet? The people complaining that she doesn't smile enough though, really annoy me. The people complaining that her physique is wrong for the role - they're really annoying. Mad

Annael
Immortal

Dec 10 2018, 3:31pm

Post #9 of 12 (3394 views)
Shortcut
can't win for losing [In reply to] Can't Post

Women get criticized no matter how they talk. If they're too forceful, they are "shrill." If they aren't, they're too "soft-spoken." If they try to drop their voice into their lower register to have more power, they are guilty of using "vocal fry" which is harmful to the voice.

The issue here is that women are being judged against a male standard (happens a lot) and what do you know, they don't "measure up."

It hadn't even occurred to me. But then, I've always believed actions speak louder than words - and I agree with Teddy Roosevelt on speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 10 2018, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 12 (3390 views)
Shortcut
When your unknown biases are unearthed [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post reminded me of some article I read recently (and I forget these things quickly, so don't remember who/where), where a female actor was asked what is was like acting with so many other women in a movie. She asked why men never get that question, about what it's like acting with other men. Ouch! No, I'd never thought how biased that was before, but she surely illuminated it as a stupid and silly question. And it's 2018. And people still ask things like that. Though female journalists/talk show hosts/etc can ask them too.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 10 2018, 8:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (3372 views)
Shortcut
I love what I've seen of Captain Marvel so far; her voice doesn't bother me at all [In reply to] Can't Post

And as for the smiling - it doesn't honestly matter to me at all whether she smiles or not. You've got it spot on with your analysis; it's pretty much no surprise that even in 2018 women are still being judged against the male standard - Brie Larson's chest isn't big enough, or her suit isn't skintight enough, and she doesn't smile and flirt for the camera enough, etc, etc.

Anyway, they showed some footage from CM at a Comic-con in Brazil yesterday, and people said Brie Larson is actually superb, smiles a lot, and is very humorous. Why it was even a concern to begin with, whether or not she smiles, I have no idea. Then there was the whole outrage about her punching an elderly woman - who, if you know anything about Captain Marvel, is quite obviously a Skrull.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2018, 10:41pm

Post #12 of 12 (3240 views)
Shortcut
duh!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

part of the Marvel saga...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.