Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
What if the show flops?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Archestratie
The Shire

Nov 30, 3:01pm

Post #51 of 65 (712 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I have not heard anyone except my father complain about "what could have been". Both of my sisters, devoted Lord of the Rings fans, loved the Hobbit (well, one loved the Hobbit, the other greatly enjoyed it but has problems with certain parts). My mother also loved the Hobbit, as did my other sister who's never read any of Tolkien's works. Most of my friends also enjoy the Hobbit. My orthodontist enjoyed the Hobbit. Laugh The only people I've heard complain about it are purists here and on other forums.

And again, it's your opinion that the CGI looked really bad. Not to me.

That's been my experience too. If this show is as good as the Hobbit movies, that's a success.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Nov 30, 3:49pm

Post #52 of 65 (705 views)
Shortcut
As good as the Hobbit movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Setting the bar that low almost ensures they'll hit their mark!

Cygnus
Bree

Nov 30, 4:08pm

Post #53 of 65 (703 views)
Shortcut
Comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I want to immerse myself in a really enchanting fantasy world that I already know and love, and I want it to feel…I don't know, just nice. Sure, there can be the orcs and goblins and whatnot, the trolls and all that, but I'm okay with that as long as it's just like - a good experience. Something that feels wholesome and good.

You're all making the existing films sound like these escapist adventure films, which they really aren't.

They're filled with violence (quite hightened, by blockbuster standards), with grief (think about how long The Fellowship of the Ring wallows in the grief of Gandalf's death), with death, destruction and hopelessness (say, in the buildup to Helm's Deep). There are characters being corrupted (Thorin, Smeagol, Isildur, Boromir) or damaged being repair (Frodo).

I actually want something that picks up on this and feels appropriately grim. I've said it probably umpteen times, but I think Braveheart should be the role model to look after.

I can't speak for Thor'n' but I think he was using that wording in comparison with Game of Thrones and its level of gloom, violence and nastiness.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 30, 5:03pm

Post #54 of 65 (692 views)
Shortcut
Cygnus is right [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't saying anything about the existing films (I absolutely love those). But I was comparing it to the sort of vicious brutality that you see on GoT - and probably on Amazon's other big fantasy adaptation, Wheel of Time, if it's anything like the books it's based on. I like a grim atmosphere too, but I just want it to be a little less of this dark, gritty stuff that you see on TV especially all the time. I want it to feel - like fantasy! It should have more of a magical quality, which GoT in my opinion lacks sometimes.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 30, 5:06pm

Post #55 of 65 (692 views)
Shortcut
Empire Strikes Back is a very good example [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just because I love that movie, but it really is a masterpiece of storytelling. A little bit of everything; tragedy, humor, romance, violence, great character relationships and development, suspense, shocking revelations, fantasy, etc.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Chen G.
Rivendell

Nov 30, 6:19pm

Post #56 of 65 (679 views)
Shortcut
It is and it isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

I really love that film, and it is appropriately weighty. But - its appropriately weighty for its core demographic, which is considerably younger than that of the Tolkien franchise has been thus far.

I agree that it doesn't need to adopt the cynical outlook of Game of Thrones. But I don't think it needs to be too light, either. One of the things that set this series apart from its contemporaries (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek) was the grim tone and dialed-up violence. That's a keeper.

Braveheart hits it just right.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 30, 6:20pm)

Archestratie
The Shire

Dec 3, 3:16pm

Post #57 of 65 (626 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really love that film, and it is appropriately weighty. But - its appropriately weighty for its core demographic, which is considerably younger than that of the Tolkien franchise has been thus far.

I agree that it doesn't need to adopt the cynical outlook of Game of Thrones. But I don't think it needs to be too light, either. One of the things that set this series apart from its contemporaries (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek) was the grim tone and dialed-up violence. That's a keeper.

Braveheart hits it just right.

One great thing about the Tolkien Franchise, is that its core demographic is constantly being renewed. Unlike Potter and Star Wars, it's not alienating its older base while simultaneously boring young people. It's as healthy as can be.

Mari D.
Bree

Dec 4, 6:12pm

Post #58 of 65 (584 views)
Shortcut
How is the Harry Potter Franchise doing that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have missed it, somehow, so I would be curious about your observation. :)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 4, 6:19pm

Post #59 of 65 (582 views)
Shortcut
I assume it's a reference to the Fantastic Beasts franchise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Which neither alienates nor bores me, but that's beside the point.

Mari D.
Bree

Dec 4, 6:23pm

Post #60 of 65 (579 views)
Shortcut
I'd totally want to watch GoT if ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Game of Thrones?....despite it's success (which I may be foolish to argue with) it could be more successful if it wasn't so brutal and X-rated. Toning it down could open it to a wider audience (it would add more viewers than it would take away)...Which is one of the many reasons the 6 LOTR and Hobbit movies succeeded so well....everybody could watch it except for the very young.

Mari D.
Bree

Dec 4, 6:48pm

Post #61 of 65 (577 views)
Shortcut
I'd really like to watch GoT if, as you say [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Game of Thrones?....despite it's success (which I may be foolish to argue with) it could be more successful if it wasn't so brutal and X-rated. Toning it down could open it to a wider audience (it would add more viewers than it would take away)..

... someone indeed made a toned-down, pg-something version of it. The way it is right now, I don't watch it, although I'd be actually veeery interested to see and experience as a viewer how a plot works when protagonists are not safe, the dynasties, where characters are woven into that fabric of relationships ...

But I know myself, and what makes me feel good, makes me stronger and a better person. It is not waching gruesome, harsh things over extended periods of time.

That's sad, because I guess I'd enjoy the well-written characters, interesting storylines, good CGI, animation, and other technical aspects a lot. But that's that ... it would be like eating yummy strawberry joghurt that's mouldy. It's a shame for the joghurt, but I know what I can digest and what I can't.

I hope to at least read the books one day, though :-) I'm a Bible reading person, I know how to NOT visualize some details as I'm READING. ;-) (if you don't know, there's many passages in the Bible which describe ancient wars)

[Sry for double-post, I wrote this first on my phone and it didn't get saved, by the time I got to edit it using notebook, time was expired]

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Dec 4, 6:59pm)

Archestratie
The Shire

Dec 4, 7:45pm

Post #62 of 65 (568 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Game of Thrones?....despite it's success (which I may be foolish to argue with) it could be more successful if it wasn't so brutal and X-rated. Toning it down could open it to a wider audience (it would add more viewers than it would take away)...Which is one of the many reasons the 6 LOTR and Hobbit movies succeeded so well....everybody could watch it except for the very young.

Or if George RR Martin would just finish the series. That might help it too.

Cygnus
Bree

Dec 5, 5:47am

Post #63 of 65 (534 views)
Shortcut
Did this really happen? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't follow it so you might know the answer to this. I heard Martin got upset with some fans because they are worried that he might die before he finishes it and he was insulted that they would say that. Is that true?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Archestratie
The Shire

Dec 6, 6:11pm

Post #64 of 65 (368 views)
Shortcut
Haven't heard that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't follow it so you might know the answer to this. I heard Martin got upset with some fans because they are worried that he might die before he finishes it and he was insulted that they would say that. Is that true?

I have no idea. I've heard he almost has the next book done, but that he's been stuck on the ending for almost two years now. I just know that hope among the fandom for a completed series is diminishing very fast.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 6, 7:34pm

Post #65 of 65 (357 views)
Shortcut
I'm honestly not too worried [In reply to] Can't Post

I have faith in most authors I like - Patrick Rothfuss is still writing the third installment of Kingkiller Chronicles, and it's been, what, three or four years now?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.