Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Real places/lands in the world that remind you of Middle-earth lands

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 3, 10:34pm

Post #1 of 13 (508 views)
Shortcut
Real places/lands in the world that remind you of Middle-earth lands Can't Post

Does anyone have photos or have seen photos they would like to share that reminds them of the lands of Middle-earth? I know we see many places in LOTR and TH, but I'm curious to see if anyone has "seen" others in either their travels or online :)

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 4, 6:27am

Post #2 of 13 (470 views)
Shortcut
Finland for Forochel [In reply to] Can't Post

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 4, 6:29am)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 13 (444 views)
Shortcut
Craters of the Moon in Idaho: Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

I can never seem to insert a photo anymore (despite MUCH advice) so here's the url instead
https://upload.wikimedia.org/...tional_Monument.jpeg

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 13 (440 views)
Shortcut
Hoh River rain forest = The Old Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/.../hoh-rain-forest.jpg

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 13 (438 views)
Shortcut
Metolius River = Nimrodel [In reply to] Can't Post

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/...ius-River-Oregon.jpg

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (436 views)
Shortcut
the Palouse of Washington = Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.beautifulwashington.com/...rolina-k-smith-2.jpg

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 4, 5:16pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 4, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (427 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in north Idaho so I might be able to visit COTM someday! That would be very interesting (though I wouldn't put Mordor on the highest list of places to visit lol).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 4, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 13 (427 views)
Shortcut
I drove down [In reply to] Can't Post

to see my sister in the Tri-cities back in August and I definitely agree with the Palouse reminding me of Rohan! I think it reminds me more of Rohan when the grass is brown, but I suppose Rohan's grasses would be more green in early spring.

(Though to be fair, your photo is definitely cultivated farm fields and not native grasses). But the Palouse- definitely Rohan!

The photo you posted of the Oregon river reminding you of Nimrodel- if you swapped out the pines for the mellorn trees with yellow leaves, and added a little waterfall, I can totally see that! I need to put that on my list of places to visit someday as well :)

For me, pretty much anywhere in the mountains where I live (I'm just on the other side of the ID/WA border near Coeur d'Alene) reminds me of the western slopes of the Misty Mountains when the company exits the mountain in TH. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say those scenes were filmed in Idaho!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4, 11:06pm

Post #9 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
that Oregon river [In reply to] Can't Post

is the Metolius. The Springs of the Metolius, where the river simply appears out of the ground, is a magical place. It's near Camp Sherman, which is a bit west of Sisters.

-- Gaston Bachelard

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 5, 5:19am

Post #10 of 13 (393 views)
Shortcut
I'm not the only one reminded by this one: [In reply to] Can't Post

Its actual name is Mordor Pound, NT, Australia.

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 5, 9:17pm

Post #11 of 13 (363 views)
Shortcut
Multnomah Falls, Oregon a.k.a Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.travelportland.com/...cle/multnomah-falls/
You see this as you're driving by on the Columbia River Highway and it is breathtaking, especially if you're in a LOTR state of mind - and Oregon does tend to put one there.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 6, 12:40pm

Post #12 of 13 (340 views)
Shortcut
Such an amazing place [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw an article that listed it in the top 10 places you should see in the US, so the Nottasackvilles stopped there once on a family car trip - WOW were we shocked! Wish we would have reserved more than just an afternoon stop-by.

And yes - very much Mordor.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 6, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that is gorgeous. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.