Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Peter Jackson is keen to help out...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 5 2018, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 225 (3987 views)
Shortcut
     Peter Jackson is keen to help out...  

Peter Jackson says he is keen to help with the series once they send him the scripts...
https://metro.co.uk/...817202/?ito=vjs-link

To what extent PJ will help remains ambiguous... but I'd like to know if Weta will be involved at all?

Belegdir
Lorien

Dec 5 2018, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 225 (3780 views)
Shortcut
     That a decision Amazon will have to make [In reply to]  

Will they continue the look of ME developed for the films? If yes then WETA is really the only choice. If they want a new look then they could hire someone else.
I think they should use PJ's help with the scripts, at least until their own writers get a good hold of what they want and need to do.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 5 2018, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 225 (3773 views)
Shortcut
     Please no... [In reply to]  

PJ did an amazing job with LOTR's...BUT...unrestrained with the Hobbit he made some of the most disappointing films of all time! Unimpressed And I know he is not Directing, but you can see his fingerprints all over Mortal Engines and it looks terrible. They are making the same glossy bad cgi mess as The Hobbit films...and mark my words - It will bomb.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 1:32am

Post #4 of 225 (3744 views)
Shortcut
     No way! I've seen good reviews [In reply to]  

Mortal Engines is one of the films I'm most excited to see this holiday season - not a mess, not at all. Hugo Weaving looks incredible, and Jihae - wow, that woman has talent; apart from acting (and she's great in NatGeo's Mars), she's an awesome singer. I hope this movie doesn't bomb. It looks great.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 11:26am

Post #5 of 225 (3689 views)
Shortcut
     No [In reply to]  

In Reply To
BUT...unrestrained with the Hobbit he made some of the most disappointing films of all time!

I'm not going to speak too much about Mortal Engines. If I'm at all excited for it, its simply to see Jackson tackle a science-fiction screenplay, which would be a first for him.

I don't think the issue is that Jackson is unrestrained. That's such a cliche criticism of directors, and what it serves to say is that The Lord of the Rings was as good as it was in spite of Peter Jackson, which is utter nonesense.

The fact of the matter is that Jackson had final cut right since back in the days of The Fellowship of the Ring, and really throughout his filmography.

The question isn't whether the writer/director has full control over his film - clearly, any big-name director has that - the real question is whether the writer/director is beyond reproach by his staff, which Jackson clearly isn't.

Its just the lack of pre-production time required to shape the films, that was a hinderance to Jackson. It means that, production-wise, not enough practical sets and effects could be fabricated (practical effects take more time!) and that the script didn't pass the necessary number of revisions before shooting began.

I personally would like him to go over and aid in the plotting of this series, and certainly that the series will reuse sets, effects and locations from the existing series.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 6 2018, 11:34am)

Archestratie
Bree

Dec 6 2018, 6:09pm

Post #6 of 225 (3634 views)
Shortcut
     Have to disagree [In reply to]  

In Reply To
PJ did an amazing job with LOTR's...BUT...unrestrained with the Hobbit he made some of the most disappointing films of all time! Unimpressed And I know he is not Directing, but you can see his fingerprints all over Mortal Engines and it looks terrible. They are making the same glossy bad cgi mess as The Hobbit films...and mark my words - It will bomb.

The Hobbit movies were fun. Yeah, they looked bad at times with the frame rate and CGI, but they were still a lighthearted adventure story. I'd take them over the Star Wars and Harry Potter prequels any day.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 9:54pm

Post #7 of 225 (3613 views)
Shortcut
     More on the subject [In reply to]  

According to Sir Peter Jackson:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with casting because I know that they, from what I understand, want to try to have a series and a world where it sort of fits with the films; they want to keep the designs. So I guess they’ll just have to find an actor who’s … young Aragorn is hesitant, he hasn’t the confidence of being a king yet, which is obviously the story of The Lord of the Rings — how he becomes the king. And he lives in Rivendell most of the time [in this new series] so…”

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/06/peter-jackson-philippa-boyens-talk-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series/

I think we can take this as something of a confirmation that the show is indeed going to focus on young Aragorn. And I do like that the designs and locations will most likely be the same.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 6 2018, 9:58pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 10:45pm

Post #8 of 225 (3592 views)
Shortcut
     Wow! - this does sound exciting! [In reply to]  

If it's based in Rivendell, I'm in.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Furcorn

Dec 6 2018, 10:46pm

Post #9 of 225 (3588 views)
Shortcut
     Please, no PJ [In reply to]  

It's honestly time for new blood, so, please, no PJ. No to the totally unnecessary slapstick comedy and one-liners, no to the gravity-defying action sequences.PJ has no special knowledge of the stories, and besides, the TV series will be largely artisitic license anyways.Time for a fresh perspective.
If you have any doubt, just go watch The Hobbit for Legolas sequences and anything with Alfrid. I'm still bitter.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 11:03pm

Post #10 of 225 (3582 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas sequences were like two minutes out of a great series [In reply to]  

And Alfrid was so incredibly minor as a character. And both PJ and Phillipa Boyens have a good knowledge of the stories at this point.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 225 (3580 views)
Shortcut
     This is just sketching [In reply to]  

At this stage of writing, things don't come down to comic relief or action beats. Its more about sketching the series and the characterizations. I think getting Jackson's help will help keep it unified with the films, while still allowing fresh filmmakers to make up the specifics.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 6 2018, 11:09pm

Post #12 of 225 (3579 views)
Shortcut
     Hopefully! [In reply to]  

I can't wait to see what new characters they create, though I'm really excited to see the new takes on our beloved cast such as Aragorn, Arwen, Elrond, (Glorfindel!), Elladan & Elrohir, Gandalf, Galadriel, Theoden, Denethor, etc. When the casting starts happening, that's when I'll get really hyped - or really disappointed, if they cast Kit Harrington or Nicholas Hoult as Aragorn.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 6 2018, 11:57pm

Post #13 of 225 (3581 views)
Shortcut
     ick [In reply to]  

No thanks, the last thing I want to see is more of the burping and farting, horrendous fan-fic quality dialogue and poorly rendered and completely unbelievable cgi action sequences that PJ has now become synonymous with.

Furcorn

Dec 7 2018, 1:01am

Post #14 of 225 (3557 views)
Shortcut
     The time of the PJ is over [In reply to]  

Amazing how a few minutes of Alfrid and Legolas could do so much damage. I cannot forgive this transgression. Also throwing in the extended Smaug chase with gold in the mountain, and 80% of the final battle. Billy C was absolutely squandered, and so was Bilbo in the 3rd movie for that matter.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 7 2018, 1:24am

Post #15 of 225 (3554 views)
Shortcut
     Did you read what Chen G. wrote? [In reply to]  

At this stage, things probably haven't come down to the comic relief and details like that.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 7 2018, 2:31am

Post #16 of 225 (3541 views)
Shortcut
     Hmmm. [In reply to]  

I had not considered that all or most of the first season might be set in and around Rivendell. My assumption has been that Aragorn would leave the house of Elrond fairly early on. Maybe he will leave and there will be flashbacks to his time in Rivendell. Thoughts?

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 7 2018, 9:53am

Post #17 of 225 (3492 views)
Shortcut
     Sigh... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Amazing how a few minutes of Alfrid and Legolas could do so much damage. I cannot forgive this transgression. Also throwing in the extended Smaug chase with gold in the mountain, and 80% of the final battle. Billy C was absolutely squandered, and so was Bilbo in the 3rd movie for that matter.

Sir Peter Jackson is one of the very best directors of our time. I recently had the pleasure of watching his recent World War I documentary, which was great. Few and far between are directors of his reputation (with regards to producing narrative, tentpole blockbusters) to have succesfully tackled a documentary.

In terms of genre, too, he has proven most diverse: with anything from horror, to high-fantasy, action, creature-features, science-fiction, drama and war films to his credit.

Any career in the creative fields is anything but consistent: one day you turn in an excellent film, the other - not so much. For every Lawrence of Arabis there's a Doctor Zhivago, for every Jaws there's a War of the Worlds, etcetra.

To speak specifically to Jackson's predicament, every director needs time to gear up to a project. You need to fabricate the sets (practical effects take more time!), get the script ready, have perliminary work with the actors, storyboard/previsualize your film, etc. Jackson didn't have this luxury.

With more time, some of the more contrived beats and silly comedy will have been removed in script revisions; some of the more preposterous action beats will have been whittled down during pre-vis, and some of the more unpolished effects shots will have been more polished, or more based in practicality.

At any rate, its easy to exaggerate these issues. Counting all of Alfrid's, Legolas' and Tauriel's screentime would still amount to less than 15% of the screentime of The Battle of the Five Armies. And even some sequences with which I have issues on the level of the execution of specific beats, are still sound in their overall intention - for instance, the showdown between the Dwarves and Smaug, which was essential.

And lastly, lets not forget that at this stage, the screenwriting on the show will have no bearing on such specifics. It'll be more about shaping the characters and their journeys: not about specific beats of comedy or action - those tend to come much later down the line.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 7 2018, 9:56am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 7 2018, 9:57am

Post #18 of 225 (3486 views)
Shortcut
     I love Dr. Zhivago. [In reply to]  

The soundtrack is one of my very favorites.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 7 2018, 12:19pm

Post #19 of 225 (3453 views)
Shortcut
     PJ's involvment is really not necessary [In reply to]  

Other than for name recognition, I really don't see the need to involve PJ in this. I just mentioned all the burping and farting because that sort of thing has come to be associated with his style of filmmaking. But the reality is, PJ isn't the "be all end all" authority on Middle-earth that many seem to think he is. His Hobbit movies were so unlike the book in so many ways, nearly any filmmaker with a copy of the Denny's Hobbit menu as reference could have done as good a job with it as he did.

I think what most audiences will care about, is that it looks like the Middle-earth that they have come to know through PJ's movies, so for this, all they need to do is hire John Howe and Alan Lee, and have Weta do all the effects and props. But at this point, I don't think PJ himself has anything meaningful to contribute.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 7 2018, 1:08pm

Post #20 of 225 (3435 views)
Shortcut
     Middle Earth is so much more than a design project [In reply to]  

There are a lot of narrative devices that we associate with this series, which are distinctivelly Peter Jackson. I'd like to see the series infused with just a touch of that style.

MoreMorgoth
Bree

Dec 7 2018, 1:10pm

Post #21 of 225 (3439 views)
Shortcut
     excellent post [In reply to]  

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sir Peter Jackson is one of the very best directors of our time. I recently had the pleasure of watching his recent World War I documentary, which was great. Few and far between are directors of his reputation (with regards to producing narrative, tentpole blockbusters) to have succesfully tackled a documentary.

In terms of genre, too, he has proven most diverse: with anything from horror, to high-fantasy, action, creature-features, science-fiction, drama and war films to his credit.

Any career in the creative fields is anything but consistent: one day you turn in an excellent film, the other - not so much. For every Lawrence of Arabis there's a Doctor Zhivago, for every Jaws there's a War of the Worlds, etcetra.

To speak specifically to Jackson's predicament, every director needs time to gear up to a project. You need to fabricate the sets (practical effects take more time!), get the script ready, have perliminary work with the actors, storyboard/previsualize your film, etc. Jackson didn't have this luxury.

With more time, some of the more contrived beats and silly comedy will have been removed in script revisions; some of the more preposterous action beats will have been whittled down during pre-vis, and some of the more unpolished effects shots will have been more polished, or more based in practicality.

At any rate, its easy to exaggerate these issues. Counting all of Alfrid's, Legolas' and Tauriel's screentime would still amount to less than 15% of the screentime of The Battle of the Five Armies. And even some sequences with which I have issues on the level of the execution of specific beats, are still sound in their overall intention - for instance, the showdown between the Dwarves and Smaug, which was essential.

And lastly, lets not forget that at this stage, the screenwriting on the show will have no bearing on such specifics. It'll be more about shaping the characters and their journeys: not about specific beats of comedy or action - those tend to come much later down the line.

I read the back and forth between fans who love Jackson and those who do not - your post is very insightful and says a lot of what I myself feel.

I love your comparison with other directors such as David Lean and Spielberg who have gems and less than gems among their work. Why should PJ be any different.

For my money. THE HOBBIT films got a 7.5 and have moments of sheer brilliance and breathtaking beauty mixed in with excess and overreach. To this day I despise the characters of the Great Goblin and Radagast and look at both as some of the worst designed characters in all six films.

But the recut Battle of the Five Armies was amazing and elevated the final film several notches and should be praised accordingly.

I would love to see Jackson have a hand in the upcoming series - particularly to have some continuity of design in the architecture and look of Middle Earth.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 7 2018, 1:53pm

Post #22 of 225 (3429 views)
Shortcut
     I suppose it depends [In reply to]  

The Middle-earth of Tolkien or of the PJ movieverse? I just don't consider PJ to be the supreme authority on all things Middle-earth, and think there may be someone else out there who may have a firmer understanding of the more subtle and deeper aspects of Tolkien's works. PJ is an over the top action movie guy who loves burps and farts and gore. His movies were good when he stuck to what was in the book, and not so good when he went off script and concocted his own material which almost always included crude humor (Gimli farting and probably soiling himself in RotK), cringey fanfic style dialogue (...because it was real.) and totally unnecessary and out of place additions (Tauriel/Kili Legolas love story).

Personally, I would rather see Amazon attempt to defy the status quo with this, and try to do something that feels more Tolkien and less Peter Jackson, but I think it is a long shot and Peter Jackson fans will likely end up getting more of the sort of thing they enjoy with this.

Archestratie
Bree

Dec 7 2018, 3:38pm

Post #23 of 225 (3409 views)
Shortcut
     SWEET! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
According to Sir Peter Jackson:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with casting because I know that they, from what I understand, want to try to have a series and a world where it sort of fits with the films; they want to keep the designs. So I guess they’ll just have to find an actor who’s … young Aragorn is hesitant, he hasn’t the confidence of being a king yet, which is obviously the story of The Lord of the Rings — how he becomes the king. And he lives in Rivendell most of the time [in this new series] so…”

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/06/peter-jackson-philippa-boyens-talk-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series/

I think we can take this as something of a confirmation that the show is indeed going to focus on young Aragorn. And I do like that the designs and locations will most likely be the same.

As far as I'm concerned, this is fantastic news. I wonder if they'll get to use the same soundtrack. I'd love to hear that music again. I'm so glad there's going to be continuity between the films and the show. It's going to enhance the viewing experience so much.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 7 2018, 3:56pm

Post #24 of 225 (3401 views)
Shortcut
     Untrue [In reply to]  

In Reply To
there may be someone else out there who may have a firmer understanding of the more subtle and deeper aspects of Tolkien's works.

There's plenty of subtle thematic work in the films, whether its directly from Tolkien, or infused into his work by the interpertation of the filmmakers.

There's spiritual themes in the suggestion of divine influence in the finding of the ring (as pointed out in Fellowship of the Ring) and elsewhere.

There is a theme of nationality in Boromir's arc and with Thorin and Thranduil, including exploration of patriotism (with the Dwarves yearning to retrieve their homeland) and commentary on isolationism (with Thranduil).

There's commentary on greed, with Gollum and especially Thror. The films suggest that having hoarded so much wealth was wrong from the outset. Essentially, per the films, the dragon-sickness brought the dragon, rather than the other way around.

There are issues of conflict between loyalty and morality (with Denethor, Thorin and Thranduil), and a deconstruction of the Hero's Journey and Adventure genre throughout.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 7 2018, 3:59pm)

Archestratie
Bree

Dec 7 2018, 3:58pm

Post #25 of 225 (3404 views)
Shortcut
     Um, wait a minute. [In reply to]  

In Reply To

And what did Bilbo do during the battle of five armies in the book? He spend the whole thing unconscious.

Ever consider that part of the reason the Hobbit movies weren't as good as the LotR movies is because the Hobbit book isn't as good as the Lord of the Rings?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.