The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Real places/lands in the world that remind you of Middle-earth lands

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 3 2018, 10:34pm

Post #1 of 19 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Real places/lands in the world that remind you of Middle-earth lands Can't Post

Does anyone have photos or have seen photos they would like to share that reminds them of the lands of Middle-earth? I know we see many places in LOTR and TH, but I'm curious to see if anyone has "seen" others in either their travels or online :)

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 6:27am

Post #2 of 19 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Finland for Forochel [In reply to] Can't Post

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 4 2018, 6:29am)

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 19 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Craters of the Moon in Idaho: Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

I can never seem to insert a photo anymore (despite MUCH advice) so here's the url instead
https://upload.wikimedia.org/...tional_Monument.jpeg

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 19 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Hoh River rain forest = The Old Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/.../hoh-rain-forest.jpg

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 19 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Metolius River = Nimrodel [In reply to] Can't Post

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/...ius-River-Oregon.jpg

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 19 (1197 views)
Shortcut
the Palouse of Washington = Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.beautifulwashington.com/...rolina-k-smith-2.jpg

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 4 2018, 5:16pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 4 2018, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 19 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in north Idaho so I might be able to visit COTM someday! That would be very interesting (though I wouldn't put Mordor on the highest list of places to visit lol).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 4 2018, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (1188 views)
Shortcut
I drove down [In reply to] Can't Post

to see my sister in the Tri-cities back in August and I definitely agree with the Palouse reminding me of Rohan! I think it reminds me more of Rohan when the grass is brown, but I suppose Rohan's grasses would be more green in early spring.

(Though to be fair, your photo is definitely cultivated farm fields and not native grasses). But the Palouse- definitely Rohan!

The photo you posted of the Oregon river reminding you of Nimrodel- if you swapped out the pines for the mellorn trees with yellow leaves, and added a little waterfall, I can totally see that! I need to put that on my list of places to visit someday as well :)

For me, pretty much anywhere in the mountains where I live (I'm just on the other side of the ID/WA border near Coeur d'Alene) reminds me of the western slopes of the Misty Mountains when the company exits the mountain in TH. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say those scenes were filmed in Idaho!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 11:06pm

Post #9 of 19 (1173 views)
Shortcut
that Oregon river [In reply to] Can't Post

is the Metolius. The Springs of the Metolius, where the river simply appears out of the ground, is a magical place. It's near Camp Sherman, which is a bit west of Sisters.

-- Gaston Bachelard

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2018, 5:19am

Post #10 of 19 (1154 views)
Shortcut
I'm not the only one reminded by this one: [In reply to] Can't Post

Its actual name is Mordor Pound, NT, Australia.

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 5 2018, 9:17pm

Post #11 of 19 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Multnomah Falls, Oregon a.k.a Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.travelportland.com/...cle/multnomah-falls/
You see this as you're driving by on the Columbia River Highway and it is breathtaking, especially if you're in a LOTR state of mind - and Oregon does tend to put one there.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 6 2018, 12:40pm

Post #12 of 19 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Such an amazing place [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw an article that listed it in the top 10 places you should see in the US, so the Nottasackvilles stopped there once on a family car trip - WOW were we shocked! Wish we would have reserved more than just an afternoon stop-by.

And yes - very much Mordor.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2018, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 19 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that is gorgeous. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 15 2018, 4:14am

Post #14 of 19 (767 views)
Shortcut
Waterfall [In reply to] Can't Post

Bushkill Falls in eastern Pennsylvania was fantastic. I've only been there once but climbing the wooden steps and walking on them beside the river was quite an experience. Since I'm not a big traveler this is the only thing I can think of except for my visit to the Rocky Mountains when I went there for military training.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2018, 2:08am

Post #15 of 19 (721 views)
Shortcut
Lots of places in Michigan [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of places in Michigan that remind me of Middle-earth...including my own home.

My walks along the country roads down from my door always remind me of the Shire.

I have lived all around the U.S., and there are some glorious lands in each of those states; but I'm always drawn back to Michigan. Maybe because we're surrounded by water (lakes) large enough to be considered seas. The state is carved by ancient glacial movement from the north that gives it a fascinating topographical personality.

Because of how this state was created, there are some incredible natural landmarks to discover. Here are few of the many that remind me of Middle-earth in or near Michigan's Upper Peninsula are (map at end of post):

Grand Portal Point on Lake Superior makes me think of the Grey Havens. It is part of the shoreline known as Pictured Rocks. I can almost image an elven ship sailing by from the inlet. The Edmund Fitzgerald would have sailed past this point while trying to reach safe harbour.

Tahquamenon Falls (lower) and River reminds me of Rivendell's Bruinen River, while the Tahquamenon (upper) Falls (yep, there are 2 different sets of falls ) reminds me of Rauros. These are near Lake Superior's northern shoreline.

Arch Rock on Mackinac Island reminds me of Rivendell's natural bridge. Other unique things about Mackinac Island is that it's home to a large town, an ancient Fort atop a mountain, and that there are no motor vehicles allowed (except for emergency). Horses, carts, wagons, and carriages are the preferred transport.

At least twice a year, I try to get to Pentwater on the far west side of the state on Lake Michigan. There is usually a brisk to strong wind that comes across the Great Lake, which creates a wonderful experience with hundreds of gulls. This wonderful shoreline and gulls reminds me of Legolas and how enchanted he was with the gulls. They use the wind to hover in place, clustered together. You can literally walk in a cloud of these mystical birds, and they will ease right up to you to take a piece of bread from your fingers. Fantastic!

The Thatch House in Charlevoix on Lake Michigan is also known as the Mushroom House. This Hobbity home is straight out of the Shire, imho. Here's a link to a previous post of this unique home and others.

I've barely touched the Lower Peninsula. ;) Mountains, virgin pine forests, lakes and rivers permeate every area. Sand dunes tower above the northern Lake Michigan shore. The Great Lakes are fresh water, but there are salt mines buried deep under the south-eastern part of the state.

Middle-earth in Michigan Map

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 18 2018, 2:12am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 18 2018, 2:11am

Post #16 of 19 (699 views)
Shortcut
I do envy your property ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks beautiful! We hope to get on acreage someday...hopefully sooner rather than later.

I will check out those other places Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 18 2018, 4:00am

Post #17 of 19 (696 views)
Shortcut
I simply flew into Afghanistan. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77276171@N03/9339791852/sizes/o/

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2018, 12:09pm

Post #18 of 19 (674 views)
Shortcut
I waited a long time for it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My youngest was a senior in high school when I was finally qualified financially to get a HUD loan (low income housing). I went to see it with my realtor during a lunch break. The house went on sale that morning. We pulled in the driveway and I said, "I'll take it!" She asked me if I wanted to go in and look at the house first? I said okay, but I still would take it. It was the second house I looked at (saw one the day before). She put in my bid by 12:45, and it was followed by 4 other bids by the end of the day. That was 28+ years ago. Things always seem to fall into place when it's meant to be :)

My neighbour, who is 1/4 mile away and owns all the farmland around me, was very upset when he found out I bought it. He wanted it himself for his daughter, but he didn't even know the house was for sale. It was put on the market and sold (bid offered) within 5 hours. We've been good friends all these years, but I still haven't met his wife ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2018, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 19 (658 views)
Shortcut
Cool :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping and praying for acreage someday hopefully soon. I want to be a small farmer, and garlic farmer (with animals and the like too- a subsistence farm as well as an acre or two of gourmet garlic for a cash crop). Plus I'm not a fan of the city...I prefer country living for sure.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.