Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
New Zealand filmmaker Geoff Murphy has died.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2018, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 6 (573 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand filmmaker Geoff Murphy has died. Can't Post

Although he may not be a familiar name to all, you've almost certainly seen his work: Geoff did some Second Unit directing on LOTR.

Geoff was an integral part of the development of the New Zealand film industry from the 1970s, and made films that are a huge part of our film history. More about him here.

Rest in peace, Geoff.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2018, 12:14am

Post #2 of 6 (551 views)
Shortcut
A shortened version of Utu exists? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on earth would anyone want to shorten a classic?

RIP, Mr Murphy - and thanks for telling some of our stories.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2018, 12:36am

Post #3 of 6 (548 views)
Shortcut
It's effectively the director's cut [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as having been restored to a better condition (and only a little bit shorter, I think). It's the version Geoff Murphy wanted, but at the time he was overridden by the producers. There was a nice interview on RNZ this morning with Ian Mune, and he talked about how pleased Geoff was to be able to get the version he wanted. Peter Jackson's Park Road Post was heavily involved with the restoration. Article about the restoration here.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Dec 4 2018, 12:37am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2018, 1:20am

Post #4 of 6 (542 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it'll be re-released in homage? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see his favoured version. I remember seeing the original on a class outing to the cinema (I was in first or second form) and it made an impact on my young mind.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 4 2018, 1:20am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2018, 1:32pm

Post #5 of 6 (516 views)
Shortcut
Oh.... *sadness* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so sad. My first thought of him is all the great commentaries by the players in LotR. Talking about his long coat he wore even in the heat and his recliner flying overhead as it was being helicoptered in to film sites. Bless him and peace to his family and friends. And many thanks.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 10 2018, 8:41pm

Post #6 of 6 (379 views)
Shortcut
Goodbye, Pork Pie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen any of Murphy's films, but I always wanted to see that one just because of the title.

I remember when Jane Campion's The Piano was released that legendary film critic Pauline Kael compared it unfavorably to to Murphy's Utu, which I'd never even heard of.

R.I.P.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.