Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Aragorn, Aragorn, Aragorn

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2018, 11:11pm

Post #1 of 16 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn, Aragorn, Aragorn Can't Post

With maybe a bit of Gimli and Legolas thrown in! But would 5 series about Aragorn be a bit too much possibly? Although to be fair, we don't know how long a series will be, in some of these programs they can be quite short! But i wonder if there could be a bit of light relief from this very heroic character. Some more normal people perhaps seen as Middle-Earth is very much about how the deeds of normal people affect the greater matters. Even if only as a spin off or a mini part of a series. Maybe some episodes about some Hobbits, yes remember them? In an Inn in the everyday surroundings of the Green Dragon!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 2 2018, 1:18am

Post #2 of 16 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitses? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if the entire series is indeed about Aragorn then we might see Hobbits in the first season and towards the end. For the rest of the time, our hero is likely to be far from hobbit-lands.

On the other hand, there should be plenty of opportunities for Aragorn to encounter and learn from common Men; his journeys are likely to take him to such places as Bree, Wilderland, Lake-town, Dale, Rohan, Dunland, Gondor, Umbar, Dorwinion, Rhn, and Near and Far Harad.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Lucky Luke
Bree

Dec 2 2018, 12:47pm

Post #3 of 16 (2143 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, for a long time, when Tolkien started writing the Lord of the rings, Strider was actually a hobbit named Trotter. He was a wild hobbit, who walked in wooden shoes because his feet has been wounded by the enemy. He is a very cool character, who has been crafted by Tolkien himself and who has a natural link to Aragorn. That could be a way to do it. An adventurous hobbit, Trotter could venture much further than the Shire. Being named Trotter, the hobbit could also be the one who gives Aragorn his surname Strider. Hey, if one of the show's writer's is lurking, I want to be credited and paid fort that idea!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 2 2018, 1:47pm

Post #4 of 16 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Great minds think alike? [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone on the design team for The One Ring Roleplaying Game had much the same idea, adapting Trotter (minus the wooden shoes) as a pre-generated hero for the game.

Larger image here.

And then there is the Easterly Inn, established in Wilderland (in the adventure supplement Tales from Wilderland) with the permission of Beorn by the Brandybuck brothers Dodinas and Dinodas and Dony's wife Agatha and two young sons.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 2 2018, 2:02pm)

squire
Half-elven

Dec 2 2018, 2:03pm

Post #5 of 16 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Poor old Trotter turned out not to pack the gear needed for the beloved Corps [In reply to] Can't Post

Trotter the hero hobbit ranger was abandoned on the snows of Caradhras, where it became apparent his lack of stature and strength made him just as vulnerable and in need of help from Men, Elves, and Dwarves as it did Frodo or the other halflings. Trotter became a Man at that moment, according to the account Christopher Tolkien assembles in his History of Middle-earth.

In short (ha ha), an "adventurous" hero hobbit along the lines of Strider the Ranger is a contradiction in terms. Or at least, a contradiction in Tolkien's terms. As Osaku notes for us, it may not be a contradiction in a game-writing team's terms, or perhaps in a TV-series writers' terms.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 2 2018, 2:09pm

Post #6 of 16 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Oops. Typo! [In reply to] Can't Post

The edit window expired, but the nickname of Dodinas Brandybuck should be Dody. And his brother Dinodas is also known as Dindy.

Lucky Luke
Bree

Dec 3 2018, 12:45pm

Post #7 of 16 (2054 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice. When was that game issued?

Lucky Luke
Bree

Dec 3 2018, 12:56pm

Post #8 of 16 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Trotter [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that is the only explanation for the drastic changes made to the character. The backstory of Aragorn, needed for the expansion of the story, might have played an important role as well. As for adventurous hobbits, we know at least of five (not counting Trotter!) so I'm not sure we can say it'a a contradiction in the author's mind. I'm guessing that Tolkien must have made these changes with mixed feelings.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 3 2018, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 16 (2032 views)
Shortcut
TOR has been around since 2011. [In reply to] Can't Post

The One Ring - Adventures over the Edge of the Wild debuted in 2011 from game company Cubicle 7. Designed by Francesco Nepittelllo with Marco Maggi, and art by John Howe, Jon Hodgson and Tomasz Jedruszek. The second edition of the game was re-titled The One Ring Roleplaying Game and combined the previously separate Adventurer's Guide and Loremaster's Guide into a single, hardcover volume. There have been a fair number of supplements covering various parts of Eriador, Wilderland and Rohan, with more on the way.

Archestratie
The Shire

Dec 3 2018, 2:59pm

Post #10 of 16 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, if the entire series is indeed about Aragorn then we might see Hobbits in the first season and towards the end. For the rest of the time, our hero is likely to be far from hobbit-lands.

On the other hand, there should be plenty of opportunities for Aragorn to encounter and learn from common Men; his journeys are likely to take him to such places as Bree, Wilderland, Lake-town, Dale, Rohan, Dunland, Gondor, Umbar, Dorwinion, Rhn, and Near and Far Harad.

That would be so much fun. I'd love to see a tour of Middle-earth like that. Maybe visit Rivendale too.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 3 2018, 3:22pm

Post #11 of 16 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Rivendale? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the home of Archivel, Betwyn and Veroniel? Tongue

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 3 2018, 4:06pm

Post #12 of 16 (2014 views)
Shortcut
I want the desert [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Far Harad, Forodwaith and the like are interesting to me. I want some Lawrence of Arabia style desert vistas, glacial vistas, etc...

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 3 2018, 4:10pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 3 2018, 4:24pm

Post #13 of 16 (2005 views)
Shortcut
You might have to wait a while. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Far Harad, Forodwaith and the like are interesting to me. I want some Lawrence of Arabia style desert vistas, glacial vistas, etc...

In Tolkien's legendarium Aragorn probably didn't visit Far Harad until sometime after the year 2980 (we do know about the raid on the Corsair fleet at Umbar, just before he left the service of Ecthelion of Gondor), though this could have happened years earlier in the film-continuity. On the other hand, Aragorn could conceivably found a reason to journey to the Ice Bay of Forochel and encounter the Lossoth people during his early travels.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 3 2018, 4:24pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 3 2018, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 16 (1998 views)
Shortcut
I really hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see the Lossoth people!

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 8 2018, 4:31pm

Post #15 of 16 (1657 views)
Shortcut
How many Aragorn's will we see? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure we will get brief looks at Aragorn as an infant and/or toddler (he is two years old when his father Arathorn II is slain). My speculation is that the show will alternate between Aragorn in his twenties or thirties and his youth in Rivendell, perhaps both as a pre-adolescent and as a teen.

Thoughts?

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 8 2018, 5:18pm

Post #16 of 16 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Its certainly not out-of-character [In reply to] Can't Post

There's lots of nonlinearity in the films. It makes sense that a series will follow in those steps.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.