Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is Your Favorite Beatle?
Poll: Who is Your Favorite Beatle?
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Ringo Starr
View Results (11 votes)

Saruman
The Shire

Nov 27 2018, 11:13pm

Post #1 of 5 (754 views)
Shortcut
Who is Your Favorite Beatle? Can't Post

Alright fellow Beatles lovers, we all know about how The Beatles loved Tolkien's work and even made a short, silly version of The Lord of the Rings with Paul as Frodo. So, who's your favorite member of The Beatles?

It's a really hard question for me. Throughout my life, I was usually partial to John Lennon, especially for his early Beatles work. I just love the quality of John's voice, the roughness of his delivery and the rage behind his words. The years 1963-1966 are by far my favorite Beatles years. And in that time, John was arguably the "lead" singer (especially on "Please Please Me," "Meet the Beatles," and "A Hard Day's Night.")

So, I will vote for Lennon.

However, I like Paul McCartney's solo work and Wings much better than I like Lennon's solo material. George's solo material is amazing in its own right. But still, I go with Paul in regards to solo portfolio. Granted, Paul had far longer to craft music than poor John and George. Still, even from 1970-1980 I'd take Paul's stuff over John's any day.

To sum up, John Lennon is my favorite member of the Beatles while they were active, but Paul McCartney's my favorite solo Beatle.

(This post was edited by Saruman on Nov 27 2018, 11:14pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 28 2018, 1:00am

Post #2 of 5 (728 views)
Shortcut
That was never actually made. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Beatles' version of LotR, with Ringo as Sam, George as Gandalf, and John as Gollum. I've read that Tolkien himself forbid it from happening.

But it does show what fellow geeks they all were! Cool

My favorite has always been Ringo, the drummer the other three wanted for years (but they were afraid to sack Pete Best, whose basement "club" they were using as a venue at times, until producer George Martin told them to).

I think it's because I've felt a sympathy towards him, he was a fan of theirs and then got caught up in the whirlwind of their success, eventually not handling it well and becoming a post-Beatle alcoholic until one day the reality of his situation hit him, he checked himself into a rehab, and since recovery has re-discovered his musicianship and regularly gone on fun tours with other musicians of the day in his band. (I've seen him twice, you come away happy with your voice sore from singing along. Smile)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 28 2018, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 5 (647 views)
Shortcut
Then and now, George [In reply to] Can't Post

Always the odd one. HUGE crush on him in junior high.

I saw them in concert in '66, which remains a high point. Not that we could hear them over the screams most of the time (concerts then were not amped up nearly as much as they are now).

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 2 2018, 5:12pm

Post #4 of 5 (612 views)
Shortcut
George [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Quiet One"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 6 2018, 7:52pm

Post #5 of 5 (561 views)
Shortcut
George. Mostly because [In reply to] Can't Post

he was an unofficial member of Monte Python.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.