The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Isildur VS Aragorn

manofmordor
The Shire

Nov 26 2018, 3:50pm

Post #1 of 4 (32334 views)
Shortcut
Isildur VS Aragorn Can't Post

who would win? tbh I'd probably go with Aragorn.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 26 2018, 4:23pm

Post #2 of 4 (32326 views)
Shortcut
Isildur. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda depends if Isildur has the One Ring, who has Narsil/Andúril, and if Isildur's wife is as inspirational to him as Arwen was to Aragorn.

Still, Isildur's Númenorean blood is a lot more purer than Aragorn's, and Isildur's 7' height versus Aragorn's 6' 6" gives Isildur the longer reach.

Isildur wins.

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in
thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond
all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled
mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!"
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 28 2018, 12:04am

Post #3 of 4 (32304 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

These were both great and admirable men. But...Isildur kept the Ring, unable to feel the danger to himself, though he came to understand and repent it at the end. Aragorn did have the advantage of instruction from an early age about the personal danger of corruption by the evil thing. When faced with it, Aragorn had the clear sight and moral strength to reject the deceitful power of the Ring. In a contest, I think Aragorn's mind and heart would not have been as clouded as Isildur's, and therefore brains and heart would somehow have found a way to overcome brawn and bravado.

In our current Age of Men, I very much want to believe that.Evil

snow

Sep 24 2021, 1:12am

Post #4 of 4 (17742 views)
Shortcut
undecided [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a hard one.

Most of us would pick Aragorn because we're more familiar with the character.

Yes Isildur was corrupted by the ring, but he also remained as one of the faithful when a large majority of Numenoreans sided against the Valar, and, it was him that saved the White tree of Gondor. Outside of sheer difference in body size, Isildur portrayed the same brave characteristics as Aragorn.

I think the Amazon Middle Earth Series will cover off on Isildur and potentially make him the main character for at least a season. Maybe ask this question again in 24 months? :p

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.