Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 20 2018, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 6 (4948 views)
Shortcut

I'm a really low tech guy but my daughter is coming home for Thanksgiving and her and her husband are really good with this stuff. I just got done looking at the avatar section (1-10) in the FAQ and it made my head spin but I'm sure they'll understand it. My question is....can they just google anything I want?....in my case, Anduril?...or does it have to come from a particular place? I got my sword from United Cutlery but I would assume I couldn't put their name on it since that would be advertising. I am also considering another sword I own from a different company. As long as their name isn't on it would that be fine?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2018, 1:28am

Post #2 of 6 (4907 views)
Shortcut
I think 'when it doubt, leave it out'. [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't have a specific rule about brand names in avatars but we do about advertising in general, so it's probably best to go the safe route and use an image that doesn't double as marketing (even unintended).

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 21 2018, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 6 (4834 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your response. Maybe I'll just go with an astronomy theme since that is my passion.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 21 2018, 9:42pm

Post #4 of 6 (4812 views)
Shortcut
You can change your avatar whenever you like [In reply to] Can't Post

so don't feel stuck to it. When we were joking around once, I changed mine to cockroaches. I also had one of a fake detergent called Ulmo! that washed away the problems in Tolkien. (Yes, I changed back to the gold leaves after.)

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 22 2018, 2:45am

Post #5 of 6 (4790 views)
Shortcut
Cygnus [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter is awesome. All this stuff is easy to her. I'm blissfully low-tech but it's nice to have a daughter who is so smart. Check out the avatar she set up for me. Cygnus the Swan is magnificent under a moonless dark sky.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 22 2018, 2:59am

Post #6 of 6 (4776 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.