Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
okay: how about your favorite breed of dog?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: okay: how about your favorite breed of dog?
giant dogs (Newfies, Pyrs, Danes, etc.)
big dogs (retrievers, German shepherds, rotties, etc.)
medium dogs (borders, aussies, boxers, pitties, etc.)
small dogs (Yorkies, chihuahuas, mini-anythings etc.)
all of them
mutts
mostly don't care for dogs but there was this one . . .
other people's dogs
no dogs: I'm allergic
no dogs, period
View Results (22 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 16, 3:16pm

Post #1 of 29 (1708 views)
Shortcut
okay: how about your favorite breed of dog? Can't Post

there are too many to list so I offer general categories; you can specify in your answer.

I'm a big-dog person and my favorite (no surprise to anyone who's encountered me) is German shepherds. Not just because they are smart, gorgeous, easily trained, and protective, but because as anyone who's owned one knows, they have a supremely silly side that rarely is shown to strangers.

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 16, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 29 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Doggies [In reply to] Can't Post

i have a coton de tulear mixed with a shih tzu, and he's so cute, i really love him

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 16, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 29 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Interesting about German shepherds [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen quite a few in my life and they seem so serious compared to other dogs, such as labs or retrievers. Intense, even, or at least reserved. They have a silly side???

I prefer big dogs myself. Lab/retrievers mixes are my favorite. My last dog was a retriever who loved hunting more than anything, and her second favorite hobby was catching frisbees, with her being quite proud of herself when she could catch them in the air that led to a great deal of strutting and showing off.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 17, 4:37am

Post #4 of 29 (1593 views)
Shortcut
I like big dogs. That's why I have a Bichon... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Huntaways and Golden Retrievers especially. I haven't been in a position to give a big dog the right sort of life, so I have settled for a teeny tiny dog (now a pirate).When I was growing up, our family dog was a Samoyed Cocker Spaniel cross. He barked a lot, and ate a lot of stupid things, including a needle and thread that nearly killed him. He was gorgeous and I loved him to bits. He was given to us as his father had burrowed under a fence to have a brief but loving relationship with a purebred Samoyed bitch, much to the horror of the breeder. Nowadays he would be selling for megabucks as a 'designer' dog I expect.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17, 4:40am

Post #5 of 29 (1590 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying to imagine what a Samoyed/Cocker Spaniel cross looks like. [In reply to] Can't Post

Small and fluffy?

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 17, 5:06am

Post #6 of 29 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Medium to large [In reply to] Can't Post

He looked a bit like a Golden Retriever with a massive fluffy tail (Mum called him toetoe tail).I have photos somewhere so will post a pic if I find them.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 17, 3:03pm

Post #7 of 29 (1554 views)
Shortcut
indeed they do [In reply to] Can't Post

but they only show it at home. They are serious about their job (YOU), but when they feel like they can relax - as in, everyone is home for the evening and everything is following the same routine as usual - then they get silly. Mine would lie on her back and sing songs, or play hide-and-seek with the cat. She was hilarious with my niece and nephews, treating them like puppies. When we lived with horses, she had a horse buddy who would race her back and forth across the pasture, a game they both loved. And when her bestie (another female GSD) came to visit, they acted just like bratty teenagers, including hiding away from her bestie's brother by going under the porch where he was too big to fit, so he'd come to us and whine, just like a kid going "MOOOOMMMMM they're being mean to me!"

Also: biting the water that comes from the hose, or the waves on the beach. The big guy mentioned above (115 pounds) liked to swim and would splash the water with his front paws and then try to bite the splash - he would keep it up for an hour, going in circles chasing after his own splashes.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 17, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 29 (1555 views)
Shortcut
I encountered a new dog yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

went for a hike with a bunch of women from the local women's club I've recently joined. It was an international group: two Dutch women, one Aussie, and two Americans. One of the Dutch women brought her stabyhoun along:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabyhoun

I was totally enamored. An active but calm, obedient (mostly), sweet-tempered, medium-sized dog. As much as my heart belongs to big dogs, at my age I don't think I could take on another 80+ pound dog, but a dog half the size would be perfect.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 17, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 29 (1545 views)
Shortcut
It looks kind of like a very stocky Border Collie [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe it's because I've always had Border Collies and I see them everywhere.Crazy

I love your story about your G. Shepherd's antics. I think it takes a lot of intelligence to come up with those escapades.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 17, 5:13pm

Post #10 of 29 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I'd never heard of a Huntaway before. [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked them up, and they look so happy and friendly. (I'm partial to herding dogs myself, although I have a soft spot for Beagles.)

Is Midgie jealous of your secret longings for (gasp) Other Breeds?Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17, 7:45pm

Post #11 of 29 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Kitten v huntaway :) [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY6k7oGVStQ

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 17, 7:48pm

Post #12 of 29 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Love it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 17, 7:52pm

Post #13 of 29 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Midgey has a Huntaway friend [In reply to] Can't Post

He sees him when he goes to the groomer. Unfortunately they are not allowed to play together as Midgey would be crushed immediately!Huntaways are lovely but they are a working dog and need to live on farms, plus they have massive barks. There is a group in NZ that rehomes retired Huntaways and Heading dogs. Maybe one day...

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 17, 8:50pm

Post #14 of 29 (1516 views)
Shortcut
(Sorry I keep spelling his name wrong! Don't [In reply to] Can't Post

tell him . . . Blush)
Perhaps you could get one, and attach a howdah for Midgey to its back. With an ejection seat and plenty of randomly strewn cushions for emergencies.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 17, 8:52pm

Post #15 of 29 (1513 views)
Shortcut
OK, now I want [In reply to] Can't Post

one of each.
The Huntaway and my B. C. could spend time going in circles herding each other with the kitten as referee.Angelic

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 18, 4:36am

Post #16 of 29 (1480 views)
Shortcut
German Shepherds! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a German Shepherd named Gypsy, and I love her so very much. She is the life of my family, and came in when my mom left us. She has filled a void so much, that I will always think German Shepherds will be my favorite dogs, and animals in fact.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 18, 5:31am

Post #17 of 29 (1477 views)
Shortcut
You are a genius [In reply to] Can't Post

You should do TED talks 'n stuff. Cool

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 18, 6:05pm

Post #18 of 29 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Aw, shucks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush
I only learned from the best: (1.35-1.41) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfPZXw5e8g

(And I *usually* prefer to let TED talk on his own.Angelic)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 18, 9:29pm

Post #19 of 29 (1420 views)
Shortcut
OK, that definitely qualifies as silly and playful [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing you reminded me of is how dogs like spectators. Our mother/daughter retriever pair loved to play together, but in particular they liked to have one of them crouch on a mound while the other pranced below it like a deer, so the higher ground one would pounce and attack and they'd have a fake fight to the death, then trade places and repeat the scene. But they would only do this if we were watching. If we turned our backs or went inside the house or whatever, they would stop and wait for us before they'd resume. Drama dogs! Smile

cats16
Valinor

Nov 20, 4:53pm

Post #20 of 29 (1246 views)
Shortcut
My parents have a German shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree re: silliness when they're in relax mode. She's not even 2 years old, so she's very much a brat when I'm back home playing with her. Incredibly smart though (probably too much for her own good).

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 20, 10:38pm

Post #21 of 29 (1187 views)
Shortcut
that's hysterical // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 20, 10:46pm

Post #22 of 29 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Huntaway is a new breed to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

so just how loud is that bark?

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21, 7:00am

Post #23 of 29 (1158 views)
Shortcut
It can be pretty loud, [In reply to] Can't Post

and continuous. They are used on hill country a lot and move stock by barking.Turns out someone is studying their barking abilities.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 21, 4:36pm

Post #24 of 29 (1098 views)
Shortcut
I got mine [In reply to] Can't Post

when my marriage was ending. She was my angel in so many ways through that time.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 26, 10:13am

Post #25 of 29 (770 views)
Shortcut
Mutts [In reply to] Can't Post

Pancho the Wonder Dog, so named because we wonder what the heck breed he is:

Found him abandoned as a puppy in a park. They at least left him a plastic spoon of peanut butter and a yogurt container half full of water. First saw him trying to jump off a 10 ft concrete embankment onto a busy access road as I was driving home from work. Stopped and rescued him before he took the plunge. Wormiest dog I ever saw. Here he is at puppy school. Pretty much flunked. Liked to play with the other dogs too much.

My first dog was a stub-tailed German Shepherd mix. Still can't explain that one. Got him when I was six. He passed away when I was 23. Good dog. Heaven ain't worth the name if he's not there.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 26, 10:18am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.