Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**WELCOME TO TORN's 9th ANNUAL HOMECOMING FIESTA!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18, 6:18am

Post #51 of 71 (674 views)
Shortcut
Mostly couples. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also a couple of progressive dances. The people organising the ball have decided to try to move it closer to actual Victorian dancing (some more modern ones have crept in, although nothing past the 1920s, they said), and this year they introduced a quadrille that was popular in Victorian times. That was a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to more like that.

We'd love to find more opportunities for dancing nearer home (this one was at the other end of the country, and is only once a year), but there isn't a lot going on where we live, in the middle of nowhere.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18, 6:19am

Post #52 of 71 (666 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18, 6:24am

Post #53 of 71 (668 views)
Shortcut
Until past pumpkin time! [In reply to] Can't Post

My gown is really fun to wear. Dark red, with lots of lace; narrow bodice, wide skirt held out with tulle; off the shoulder, and laced up the back. I definitely need help getting in and out of it! Mr Kimi looked fab in his white tie and tails. He's 6'4", so does rather stand out in a crowd.

The second dance was a more casual affair, and the music was a bit too loud for us, so we ended up slipping away early, for a welcome early night :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18, 11:44pm

Post #54 of 71 (628 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you showed up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd wondered what you were up to, and if things were okay, but don't like to ask around. I know how private I am.

Dad and I still go out chasing birds, too, just not as often this year. We see more birds than we're able to photograph, but we're interested in all wildlife, so it still works out.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18, 11:46pm

Post #55 of 71 (622 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma. I'm *trying* to. =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18, 11:50pm

Post #56 of 71 (624 views)
Shortcut
Uhhhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't even looked at my current project in weeks (flowered socks). I'd been choosing naps over knitting when I had a little time for myself, but now I just can't face possibly ripping it all out and starting over again with more design changes until after Thanksgiving.

Traffic around here wasn't too bad, but we all figured that this seemingly never-ending rain pattern meant there'd be significant snowfall. We just didn't want it cutting our delayed Fall so short! We still have trees with leaves. And too much water. :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 7:37pm

Post #57 of 71 (588 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*tosses blanket over sherlock's shoulders* I'm sure you've warmed up by now... but I'm VERY impressed that you'd suffer so much for your ticket :) I hope the show is worthy of your dedication! *hugs* Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, m'dear!!! :D

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 8:30pm

Post #58 of 71 (587 views)
Shortcut
Well now... you've just discovered your retirement job ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a comfy chair and display table showing all the other inhabitants of that park :D I have 2 families of hummingbirds that have lived in my yard for 8 years now... and they ARE very entertaining! Vicious fighters as they divebomb each other at full speed. They come a'hovering and watching me as I work outside. Their hum is a little deeper than a bumblebee.

What a beautiful butterfly that Regal Fritillary is! My very first radio handle (short-lived in the 70s) was "flutterby" ;)

That golden wasp makes me shutter. Those similar-looking wasps in my area are VERY aggressive and attack you just for walking nearby.

I'm so happy you'll have more time to spend on your favourite hobbies... birdie and buggie watching. You should do a booklet on cataloguing them for your county :D

Have fun in these final days of watching... and I"m hoping big and little Peter (cool names for someone who LOVES spiders, right?) will reappear in the spring and are just hibernating for a while.

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20, 12:55am

Post #59 of 71 (583 views)
Shortcut
I fully support grabbing time when it's happening [In reply to] Can't Post

When are kids were entering teenhood, my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Now, it all worked out well but we weren't rich and we had just decided to enter a local combat robot competition. He thought maybe we shouldn't spend the money on it and I said NO WAY... this was his time with the kids and he we were going to build that robot.

I don't regret one dime we spent on that thing (a massive, 1,000 lb robot affectionately called 'The Brick').

And truth be told, I decided to retire when I got too frustrated with a particular co-worker. So, it was a form of 'burn-out' for me, too. I'm too old for fools! lol.

I saw your post about Little Eruvande. My sons are now 35 and 32. I think you're taking his leaving the nest better than I did my first sons'. :-)

OMG... I almost missed your 'for old times' sake' link. LOL. He still does it for me.

Here... I'll trade you.
https://youtu.be/Kp3gUnD-IE4

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20, 12:57am

Post #60 of 71 (585 views)
Shortcut
I'm doing well [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly just got a massive attack of introvertiness. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20, 1:02am

Post #61 of 71 (588 views)
Shortcut
I took a look online at a couple of Victorian Balls [In reply to] Can't Post

at least one was doing an English Country Dance - which would make some sense since that style of dancing has been around since (easily) the 1600s.

I'm terrible at couples dancing! I much prefer longways set dances.

You'll have to start your own dance group in the area!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20, 1:03am

Post #62 of 71 (593 views)
Shortcut
*waves to everyone* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about showing up so late to the party, but Real Life is being pesky this week and demanding my attention. Lovely to see all you excellent and admirable folks here once more! Heart

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 20, 1:14am

Post #63 of 71 (597 views)
Shortcut
*adds to room waving* [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that a Magpie I see, returning to the TORN nest? Nice to see you again! I remember years ago you helped me with image posting (specifically, the resizing part, I think). Bummer that your tutorial will eventually come down.

Glad to see people return as well as new people sign up. I will always enjoy this site and its friendly community. And to the Americans here, Happy Thanksgiving week! (My job this holiday is to show up with booze and dessert, and both are taken care of, though I'm also showing up on Thursday with a hobbity appetite.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 20, 1:20am

Post #64 of 71 (586 views)
Shortcut
RL can be SO inconvenient ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

My past weekend was spent doing the same; but visiting family is always a good thing :D

I hope you have some great plans for Thanksgiving that leaves you with happy thoughts and a full tummy ;)

It's great to see you! Cheers!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 20, 1:29am

Post #65 of 71 (584 views)
Shortcut
You are going to be SO popular! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Booze AND Desserts!? Oh yeah... they'll hold the door open for you, fersher!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and great fun at the party! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20, 4:26am

Post #66 of 71 (578 views)
Shortcut
you could bring... [In reply to] Can't Post

a boozy dessert. That sounds good.

mmmm... rum baba; bourban balls; fruit cake...

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 20, 10:06am

Post #67 of 71 (563 views)
Shortcut
*wanders in really late* *blinks* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all, haven't been here in an age.

Life's been pretty crazy in the Kel home for the last few years. I've returned to work - as well as being in my third year of my psychology degree, my two eldest sons have graduated from high school and are also at university, eldest Kel-son is studying commerce and middle Kel-son is studying creative writing, while youngest is completing Year 9 this year, only three more years at high school for him Shocked

Mr Kel and I are about to celebrate our 29th Anniversary, still a bit shocked he's put up with me for that long Laugh

Anyway, good to see you all, hopefully some of you will remember me.

*hugs, love and blessings*
Kelvarhin Heart

This is what happens when your tiger printer slowly runs out of ink Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 20, 1:01pm

Post #68 of 71 (551 views)
Shortcut
Hey Kel!!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's SO GREAT to see you! Wow... that is nuts-busy! Isn't it amazing how time really does fly by when every day is filled with just getting things done. Your boys really are fantastic :D

The beauty of TORn is that you know we're always here when you have a moment to escape the crazy days :)

*massive hug* Take care, m'dear... and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Nov 20, 4:55pm

Post #69 of 71 (532 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you! And congratulations on retirement.

And speaking of "homecoming," since I know you're always on the hunt for good TV, I'd recommend the Julia Roberts show Homecoming on Amazon Prime, if you haven't checked it out.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Nov 21, 12:19pm

Post #70 of 71 (486 views)
Shortcut
delighted to see some oldtimers here, and [In reply to] Can't Post

wishing everyone the best festival season.

(a RL Fell Virus delayed me till today)

Amazing to watch how quickly children blossom into adults. CS Lewis wisely pointed out that we humans shouldn't be surprised by this, and the fact that we are shows that we were made for something greater than time.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 21, 1:26pm

Post #71 of 71 (479 views)
Shortcut
Happy Homecoming :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're feeling better... and just in time for Thanksgiving :D I hope you have some fun plans AND that you've found someone else to do the cooking so you can kick back and... uh... continue recovering from that virus ;)

CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.