The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
About Battle of the Powers

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 17 2018, 10:27pm

Post #1 of 8 (2960 views)
Shortcut
About Battle of the Powers Can't Post

What were the forces of Morgoth during that time? Since the Valar came to rescue the elves from Morgoth's corruption to them, did he had orcs? Balrogs and nameless thing creatures and trolls were his main forces before the orcs came into his service?

Asger
Rivendell

Nov 18 2018, 10:32am

Post #2 of 8 (2907 views)
Shortcut
Little is told about that battle [In reply to] Can't Post

In my guess Morgoth had millions of orcs summoned from the lands of the east, men in the hundred thousands both enslaved, seduced and corrupted, hundreds of winged dragons, colddrakes and uroloki. One surviving Balrog, Sauron with vampires, werewolves and wargs; corrupted Maiar in the dozens; trained beasts of all kinds and machines of war.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 18 2018, 12:39pm

Post #3 of 8 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Battle of Powers [In reply to] Can't Post

Men didn't came into existence during that time. It was before all that and when the elves came I asked about.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 18 2018, 3:56pm

Post #4 of 8 (2879 views)
Shortcut
The Forces of Morgoth [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth had not yet bred the dragons at this time; and Men had not yet awakened. The army of Morgoth would have consisted of Sauron, Orcs, Balrogs and other creatures of Morgoth.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 18 2018, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 8 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Other servants? [In reply to] Can't Post

What other forces were they? Orcs were kind of useless against the Valinor gods, balrogs may stand a little chance but weren't they just 7?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 18 2018, 6:21pm

Post #6 of 8 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Servants of Morgoth [In reply to] Can't Post

Corrupted Maiar might have taken many forms: Balrogs; Werewolves; Vampire-like creatures; etc. At one point Tolkien imagined there might have been hundreds or thousands of Balrogs, but he later brought that number down to only a few. The first Trolls might have appeared around this time. Boldog might have been one or more evil spirits incarnated in the form of large, powerful Orcs.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 19 2018, 4:25pm

Post #7 of 8 (2826 views)
Shortcut
Wraiths and evil spirits [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think these wraiths and spirits Morgoth made may be similar to the Nazgul or Barrow-Down wights?

I like your theory on maiar taking the form of orcs. I guess these orcs are like 10x stronger and faster than Uruk-hai, if they were going to have a slight chance to hurt a good maiar.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2018, 12:34am

Post #8 of 8 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Like the Nazgūl? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think these wraiths and spirits Morgoth made may be similar to the Nazgul or Barrow-Down wights?

Maybe more like the spirits that became the Barrow-wights; Tolkien used the term 'Wraiths' in a specific way for creatures that were originally mortal but went through a physical transformation that placed them in the spirit realm.

The Boldog Orcs aren't part of a theory of mine but come from Tolkien himself, though I'm not sure that he ever finalized his thoughts on the subject. The term originated as the name of an Orc of the First Age.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.