Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the freeze-warning reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 13, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 14 (699 views)
Shortcut
It's the freeze-warning reading thread! Can't Post

A week ago Monday it was 80F. Now we're looking at a high of perhaps 40F. I feel as though I have the temperature equivalent of the bends Smile

I've finished listening to the Oscar Wilde short stories, which concluded with an intriguing essay on a Shakespeare sonnet disguised as fiction. I'm still listening to Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, about the American food and nutrition industry, which is interesting but needs to be ingested in small bites.

On my e-reader I read a McCall Smith e-only Isabel Dalhousie short story. As usual, it has a slight plot and gentle pondering on life and ethics. I'm now 3/4 of the way through Guards! Guards, by Terry Pratchett, a rousing fantasy romp if ever there was one. Every paragraph sparkles like a gem with brilliant word play. I had to consciously slow down or I would have gulped down the entire book at once.

I'll be starting another audio book today, probably. I'm trying to choose between Bill Bryson's Australian travelogue, In a Sunburned Country, and Rob Inglis reading The Two Towers. I don't have an audio book of FotR, but I suspect I'll be able to pick up the story anyway Wink

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 5:45am

Post #2 of 14 (619 views)
Shortcut
I began listening to Inglis' The Hobbit this past week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had the audiobooks for years, but never listened to them beyond a quick sampling. But I've started taking the time to rip the CDs into my iTunes library, and decided to start listening.

I've always preferred reading to listening to audiobooks, because I always enjoy unleashing my own imagination instead of hearing someone else voicing the characters and so forth. But I have so many other things I'm endeavoring to read right now, that I decided to go ahead. I'm enjoying it. Inglis' character voices are not all to my personal preference, but it's such a joy to hear Tolkien's language that it's a minor quibble. He does a very good job overall.

Most of all, it's just wonderful to dive back into Tolkien. As much as I adore PJ's LotR (and, boy, do I), I've felt for a while that I've somewhat left Tolkien behind, if you catch my meaning. My absorption of Middle-earth has, for years, been primarily through the films with the occasional re-read (of The Hobbit more often than Lord of the Rings). And even when those re-reads have taken place, I've almost felt like I was reading them through the lens of the films (in a way, almost imposing the tone and visual of PJ's interpretation on the text).

I've had a desire lately to immerse myself back into pure Tolkien. Listening to these audiobooks is one way of doing that. I've also ordered the recently released book (that co-insided with the Bodleian Oxford Tolkien exhibition) "Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth", which should be arriving on Thursday.

I've also found myself admiring some of Ted Nasmith's Hobbit/LotR artwork, specifically the paintings that adorned my earliest editions of the books (the 1999 mass market paperback set). Those works really bring me back to when Middle-earth was all in my head. A simpler time. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 14 (587 views)
Shortcut
maybe time for a re-read... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read LOTR for awhile, so perhaps this winter I need to dive back in again.

Meanwhile, a whole new season of Doctor Who is nearly the only thing I'm watching (online).

She's a girl, yes!

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sűl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 15, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 14 (563 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been reading LotR repeatedly for over thirty years by the time PJ's films came out, and yet now, when I read a passage, I see PJ's actors, costumes, settings, etc. They're so vivid I don't remember what my mind's eye once visualized.

But yes, the actual words are what really matter.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 14 (546 views)
Shortcut
This films gave the characters a heartbeat. [In reply to] Can't Post

But how I wish Ian McKellen woud do audio books of LotR & Hobbit. He's done other books.

OR Jim Dale who did all of the Harry Potter books. He's so great to listen to. *sigh*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 15, 9:27pm

Post #6 of 14 (542 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don’t quite agree with that sentiment, gramma.

The screenwriters and actors certainly put their own spin on the characters (to great effect), but I don’t feel at all that the book characters themselves were lacking a “heartbeat”.

Film does intrinsically have the ability to elicit emotion in ways that books do not, however the same is true in reverse. I know that the characters in the LotR novel, especially, brought me to tears on more than one occasion prior to ever seeing the films.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 15, 9:33pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 16, 12:57am

Post #7 of 14 (519 views)
Shortcut
I much prefer the books to the films [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean... but that's not what I meant. The books are always first in my... book ;) I'm halfway through FotR in my seasonal read. As I was walking past my nightstand and seeing it there, and I found myself feeling that wonderful resting place I go to every time I read. There's no place like home :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Nomad
Forum Admin

Nov 16, 2:45pm

Post #8 of 14 (465 views)
Shortcut
Somehow I've managed to keep my original mental picture of all the main characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that the movies creep in to my reading experience when I visualize many of the landscapes. Now certain visual elements from the film I make an effort to override with my own imagination (i.e. the paths of the dead... cirith ungal... Weathertop... mostly the evil or creepy places. I prefer my vision to Peter's). Rivendell, Hobbiton, elements of Lothlorien... those are all firmly Peter Jackson's imagery when I read.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 16, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 14 (462 views)
Shortcut
The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart [In reply to] Can't Post

Stewart is one of my favorite authors, but I've not delved into her YA stuff before. This one seems to start out like other young-person-discovers-they-are-a-witch/wizard-and-get-invited-to-a-school-of-magic . . . but things are not as they seem. Stewart's prose sparkles, as ever, and her love for nature and cats is evident.

I recently re-read This Rough Magic, Airs Above the Ground,, and My Brother Michael by Stewart. Endless re-reads of her books are possible.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the illustrated complete
Books of Earthsea, speaking of favorite authors I can re-read endlessly.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Nov 17, 1:28am

Post #10 of 14 (438 views)
Shortcut
A definite reread favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

Still laugh when reading portions of The Moon Spinners

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 20, 11:08pm

Post #11 of 14 (403 views)
Shortcut
The Moon-Spinners [In reply to] Can't Post

was the first 'romance' book I read, because I was besotted by the Disney film back in '63. Imagine my bewilderment when, having seen the fillm several times, I read the book and thought, 'That didn't happen - who's he? Wasn't he a baddie?? What's going on here???' Such a rude awakening... I still have that disintegrating paperback book, as well as most of the books Mary Stewart wrote. I'm very fond of them, particularly the Merlin ones. I was delighted to find, in a charity shop, a copy of The wind off the Small Isles, which is out of print. It's only short, but a complete pleasure to read.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 20, 11:36pm

Post #12 of 14 (403 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Guards! Guards! Classic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have all the Discworld books and revisit them from time to time. The first one I ever read was 'Mort' and I'm glad; if I'd come first to 'The Colour of Magic' I don't think I'd have been drawn to them so much, as that was very self-consciously spoofy. I love the City Guards and the Witches especially - and of course the Tiffany Aching series. They are so cleverly written, with such a wry view of the world and sharp observations interwoven with a wonderful mix of mad spoofery and - sometimes - real darkness. No-one can go on for ever, but Sir Terry with his incredible imagination is very much missed.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21, 3:21am

Post #13 of 14 (387 views)
Shortcut
Discworld! [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of Terry Pratchett, I'm currently re-reading Night Watch.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 21, 8:54am

Post #14 of 14 (363 views)
Shortcut
That's a roller coaster ride! [In reply to] Can't Post

The poignancy of the lilac, the evil of Carcer, the Garden of Inner City Tranquility - and a hard boiled egg. A crazy journey!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.