The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Stan Lee has died.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2018, 6:59pm

Post #1 of 12 (706 views)
Shortcut
Stan Lee has died. Can't Post

A man who leaves a huge legacy, after a long life well-lived.

May he rest in peace.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 12 2018, 7:02pm

Post #2 of 12 (684 views)
Shortcut
Legendary [In reply to] Can't Post

We have lost a legend and a true genius. May he rest in peace.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 12 2018, 7:17pm

Post #3 of 12 (680 views)
Shortcut
I cannot believe this [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Stan Lee, for everything. You are truly one of my heroes, forever. I will miss you, as will so many. You brought so much joy and wonder to this world.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

(This post was edited by Thor 'n' Oakenshield on Nov 12 2018, 7:18pm)

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 12 2018, 7:25pm

Post #4 of 12 (666 views)
Shortcut
Stan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

he brought so much joy to so many people here and around the world, his legacy will not be forgotten. may he be reunited with his wife, Joan, and daughter. rest in peace Stan Lee.

"Forever and ever my brother,
hail and farewell" - Will Herondale

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 12 2018, 7:34pm

Post #5 of 12 (663 views)
Shortcut
Excelsior, Stan! [In reply to] Can't Post

If there is an afterlife, I can just imagine you in Heaven playing poker with Jack, Steve and other greats of the comics industry who have left us.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2018, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 12 (663 views)
Shortcut
ohhh... no... such a sad day [In reply to] Can't Post

He's like a loveable mascot you can't wait to see in the Marvel films. Peace to him, his family, friends and fans. How strange the probable resolution to the Avengers films would be now.

*tears*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Nov 12 2018, 7:47pm

Post #7 of 12 (657 views)
Shortcut
RIP Stan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrownFrown

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Nov 12 2018, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 12 (653 views)
Shortcut
We knew this day had to come [In reply to] Can't Post

and we had him alot longer than we expected to, but it doesn't make it any less sad. Can't imagine the first Marvel film we'll have without his trademark cameo. Excelsior, Mr. Lee!

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 12 2018, 8:15pm

Post #9 of 12 (650 views)
Shortcut
RIP Stan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

:'(

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 13 2018, 12:17pm

Post #10 of 12 (623 views)
Shortcut
95 years old... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I look at this now, I'm so grateful that he was well enough all these years to be a part of the Marvel films not only as a resource, but for the fun he brought to them with his brilliant cameos. What a brilliant connection with a "Where's Waldo" playfulness. My g'son and I have often played a game of naming off all of his cameos for each Marvel film during road trips or long walks. For Stan Lee to be so strong and to have his faculties as well as he did was a blessing... and a great gift to geeks. Even the writers must have had a blast figuring out how and where to put in his pop-ups.

Some other cameo kings: Alfred Hitchock, Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, Buster Keaton, M. Night Shyamalan, Quentin Tarantino, and Orson Welles.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Nov 13 2018, 2:55pm

Post #11 of 12 (612 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, Gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

A blessing that he seems to have been in such good health for his age for so long, and able to participate. I just read that his Avengers 4 cameo was locked before his death - don't know about any others. Apparently they would shoot several in one day when he was in the area, as he wasn't up to making too many flights.
Stephen King also made cameos in some adaptations of his works, though not as often as Hitchcock and Lee. He even played Jordy Verrill, the lead in one of the shorts in the first Creepshow movie. Sadly, he's suffering aftereffects from his serious accident, so I don't know if or when that might resume.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2018, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 12 (591 views)
Shortcut
a light has gone out of the world... [In reply to] Can't Post

But he lit a lot of candles behind him...

I think Stan Lee embodied Creative Genius... that playful childlike sense of wonder we can still see in those cameos,

I have a quote scribbled in marker on a big sheet of paper on the kitchen wall, by the computer:

"I never wrote for kids.. I wrote for me..."

That's good writing advice, write what's in your heart, that's the most authentic voice.

That's what brought us some of our most iconic and well loved characters and worlds.

Cartoon seen: Stan Lee arrives in heaven, Voice OF God speaks from the clouds: "you're not half bad at creating universes yourself kid"...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/.../001/431/295/b95.jpg

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.