Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Peter Jackson on The Dam Busters movie, the LOTR TV series and LOTR film extras

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 11, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 18 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson on The Dam Busters movie, the LOTR TV series and LOTR film extras Can't Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...king-the-dam-busters

I wonder what LOTR extras he's still got in his back pocket?

But I admit that I'm most excited about this: "(H)e was determined that his retelling of the pivotal World War II bouncing bomb raids will take flight in the next two years."

Smile Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 11, 11:42pm

Post #2 of 18 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Dambusters! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if he'll steal any dialog from Star Wars.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12, 3:23am

Post #3 of 18 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Is this an error perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

“But while happy to share his designs and have a look at their scripts, he ruled out further involvement because of the Tolkien estate's insistence on final approval over casting, storylines and scripts. "It would be impossible for me to [direct] without that control," he said.”

If wonder if he actually means to say he would find it impossible to direct WITH the Tolkien Estate exerting that amount of control over the production.

Anyway, I always felt the Tolkien Estate should have some involvement so that the films/TV series don’t stray too far off course from Tolkien’s writings. After experiencing The Hobbit, I’m not surprised PJ would want complete freedom, and as much as I am a fan of him, Fran, and Philippa, I’m glad they won’t be involved if “lack of freedom” is truly his concern. Pirate

Edit: Okay, I got what he’s saying... “impossible to direct without him having that control”. Potato-Patatoe Tongue

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Nov 12, 3:25am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 12, 4:33am

Post #4 of 18 (1381 views)
Shortcut
I read it as you did the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

and thought it was sloppy copy by the reporter, but your second thought is probably correct!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 12, 7:53am

Post #5 of 18 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Yes, has to be an error... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think that's good news for people like me who think that The Hobbit went too far away from the book.

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 12, 7:57am

Post #6 of 18 (1362 views)
Shortcut
LOTR unseen footage [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson also admitted he would love to delve back into his own Rings footage for an extended-extended edition of the trilogy or a documentary, or both but "Warners have so far proven not very excited by the idea". WHY???!!! Frown

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 12, 1:55pm

Post #7 of 18 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't WB want that??????? [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the extended-extended edition of the trilogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 12, 2:35pm

Post #8 of 18 (1335 views)
Shortcut
You want it [In reply to] Can't Post

I need it. Now I'll never be satisfied with the mere extended editions know that there could be an extended-extended version. Come on WB, smarten up.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Nov 12, 10:24pm

Post #9 of 18 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Significant News? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it fairly significant that this seems to confirm that "they plan to be 'set in the same world' as the movies"? The fact that they quote that directly in the article seems to confirm a much debated point--will Amazon start fresh or will they try to harmonize with the visual interpretation already established by Peter Jackson?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 12, 10:50pm

Post #10 of 18 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Good pick-up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had missed the relevance of that comment.

Ataahua's stories

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 14, 7:45am

Post #11 of 18 (1232 views)
Shortcut
PJ hints about them in the EE commentaries... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the EE commentaries, both LotR and The Hobbit, PJ (probably joking) keeps bringing up a 25th anniversary edition. He says things like (paraphrasing) "You know, Thranduil should be there in the Last Alliance... maybe we'll put that in the 25th Anniversary Edition", "The Gollum in Moria looks a little different because we didn't have the design yet, maybe we can go back and touch that up in the 25th Anniversary Edition"

Granted, these were likely jokes. But now we're nearly there it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe PJ wasn't joking, maybe he's way ahead of us all?

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 14, 2:20pm

Post #12 of 18 (1211 views)
Shortcut
25th Anniversary Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope he's not joking, is all I can say! I want that Edition so badly!

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 14, 2:42pm

Post #13 of 18 (1208 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe we're approaching 25 years already [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not at all be surprised if PJ didn't have something tucked away for a super-special-secret 25th Anniversary Remastered in 8K 64FPS edition. I actively hope this is the case.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 14, 6:07pm

Post #14 of 18 (1189 views)
Shortcut
It can't be 25 years [In reply to] Can't Post

I was 11 when it first came out, making me feel old

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15, 8:03pm

Post #15 of 18 (1108 views)
Shortcut
*wink* not quite 25 yrs yet :) [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn's 20th Anniversary is this coming April (Founded in 1999). There's a wee bit of time to go before 25 years. ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 15, 8:05pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 16, 2:30pm

Post #16 of 18 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, 'nearly there' was an exaggeration... [In reply to] Can't Post

25th anniversary would be around 2026. We're more than half way is what I meant. Crazy

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 16, 2:32pm

Post #17 of 18 (1075 views)
Shortcut
25th Anniversary would be around 2026... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not that old yet :)

I just chose my words poorly, sorry Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 16, 3:49pm

Post #18 of 18 (1070 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* No worries :D [In reply to] Can't Post

FIRST.. . I don't do math. SECOND... I've mis-stated something so many times, I've lost count ;)

*high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.