Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
In honour of Armistice / Remembrance / Veteran's Day

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11, 3:38pm

Post #1 of 6 (355 views)
Shortcut
In honour of Armistice / Remembrance / Veteran's Day Can't Post

Many deep thanks to all who have served their countries... and to their families. Their sacrifice of their daily lives has made our freedom possible.

Today marks the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day.

Remembrance / Poppy / Armistice / Veteran's Day Book Spoilers

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 11, 3:39pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 11, 4:54pm

Post #2 of 6 (337 views)
Shortcut
There has been a lot on tv today - [In reply to] Can't Post

the 100th anniversary is momentous. I usually watch the coverage from the Cenotaph in London, where teh sun shone on the thousands marching, but this year I was the 'responsible adult' (yeah really!) in charge of grandson Aidan at the local church service, as he was there on church parade with the Cub Scouts (where the sun also shone, fortunately), so I will watch it on catch-up later. I'm reminded of Galadriel's 'none now live who remember it' line... but the memory is being kept alive in so many ways, through so many people, that I hope it may continue to serve as a reminder and a warning for future generations - Lest We Forget.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 11, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 6 (334 views)
Shortcut
Thank you to my family-members who served in the Great War. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will not forget your memory. And a special thank-you to all who have given up their lives in war across the centuries, and to all veterans. Your sacrifices on this world's battlefields will never be diminished in song, and story, and our hearts.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 11, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 6 (326 views)
Shortcut
Vets [In reply to] Can't Post

forever thankful to Veterans, here and around the world, i thank you
for your service from the bottom of my heart.

"Forever and ever my brother,
hail and farewell" - Will Herondale

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 11, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 6 (307 views)
Shortcut
Another cold, windy day at the cenotaph here. As it should be. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least the sun was out and felt warm enough that it was only uncomfortable, and not miserable.

When I was young, I remember a couple of hundred old men with medals marching in the parade. This year there were about a dozen. The older generations are passing into the west. May they be at peace.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12, 3:40am

Post #6 of 6 (290 views)
Shortcut
Let us never forget. [In reply to] Can't Post

The horrors those young soldiers had to endure...and so many lives lost, who could have made a difference in this world. Frown

Tomorrow at school, we will remember them, and all those who served and are serving. Heart

Gramma, where's that link to your uncle's story? Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.