Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:02pm

Post #1 of 35 (570 views)
Shortcut
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!! Can't Post

Greetings to One and All!

Our lovely Altaira is busy with RL activities, so I grabbed the tea-towel and keys to the bar for some special bonding time. Plus... I was really thirsty and didn't want to wait!

It's amazing to realize we're 2 weeks away from Thanksgiving and 1 week away from FIESTA HOMECOMING on November 16th! :D Put the word out to any of our wayward sibbies to stop by anytime over the weekend of November 16th and share a drink and a tale or two.

Fall has officially turned into LATE fall with the snow falling onto my lawn. *sigh* Here comes the long season of cold. My projects have moved to the inside... greatly neglected for many months ;)

Do tell of your past week, weekend plans, and coming week's plans as I pour you the drink of your choice :D

PS My power went out... like... 4 minutes before Fiesta! DRAMA!!!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 9, 5:03pm)

Nomad
Forum Admin

Nov 9, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 35 (529 views)
Shortcut
With the crazy early snowfall in Kansas City... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'd like a hot glogg. I'm not swedish... I just like the stuff. Learned about it one day while wandering around inside a World Market store in Midtown.

cats16
Valinor

Nov 9, 5:16pm

Post #3 of 35 (529 views)
Shortcut
Late fall [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good way of putting it! We're getting the SoCal version of it (the low's are getting down to 50!). Keep everyone out here in your thoughts--very scary fires out near Malibu and upstate by Sacramento. The smoke cloud on the way to work today was towering. Some poor folks who were affected by the shooting in Thousand Oaks briefly thought their homes were going to be destroyed just days later. Thankfully the wind shifted (as of the writing of this post).

I'll take a hot chocolate w/ soy milk, please! :)

It's been another longggg week, so I'm ready to put my feet up and relax. Still on the job hunt. I got an offer a couple of weeks ago, but my gut was telling me it wasn't the right fit so I turned it down. The power of 'no' can be very liberating! I have one other thing percolating at the moment, but it's still in the early stages.

I'm mourning the shutdown of my beloved FilmStruck. For those who aren't familiar, FilmStruck was a beautifully curated site that combined the libraries of TCM and the Criterion Collection. They really made it a place for film nerds to hang out and discover something new every day. AT&T, having purchased Warner Bros., has decided it doesn't impact their bottom line enough to warrant keeping it around. That made a lot of people angry, to say the least. Most of these movies are very difficult--or sometimes outright impossible--to watch anywhere in the world other than via FilmStruck. The service goes dark on 11/29, so everyone is frantically watching everything they can before it's gone.

There's a petition going around to rally to save it. GDT and other filmmakers are sharing it (it's currently above 43,000 signatures--Google "Keep FilmStruck Alive" and it'll be the first result, if you'd like to join.)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Nov 9, 5:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 35 (525 views)
Shortcut
First come, first served :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But even THAT is late when my power keeps going out! Snow has fallen, and so has the internet :)
This looks yummy! If you've got snow, you gotta keep warm... and this should do it :) Have a great weekend!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 5:33pm

Post #5 of 35 (523 views)
Shortcut
Wait...if your power went out, then how are you able to post? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did it cooperate and come back on? I really think you should run a looong cord out to the closest windmill! Laugh

*sigh* It's late Fall here, too...the recent rain and winds have blown most of the lovely leaves off the trees. More rain tonight - your snow is going to warm up slightly before it hits us! Got any hot coffee back there, gramma? I could use a mugful, with some Bailey's of course, please!

And the temps are starting to dip below freezing at night. Still, it will be a nice weekend to bundle up and traipse through some woods, kicking through the drying leaves!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 35 (523 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, glogg! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember my parents making it for parties. Wonderful aroma! And with a squirt of WD-40, it'll keep your innards running smoothly. Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:36pm

Post #7 of 35 (520 views)
Shortcut
You're very brave :D [In reply to] Can't Post

To turn down a job by following your heart is always wise. I'm glad you have something else in the pot, but the not knowing is still hard.

And it's so hard to see what's going on in that part of California. I've been watching it all on the news, and it's beyond words. My prayers are with them all.

I'm sorry about your site. A petition is always a great idea. I can't understand why the bottom line always has to win. Hang in there... and have a great weekend :)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Nomad
Forum Admin

Nov 9, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 35 (520 views)
Shortcut
With a little Black Seal rum... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not even sure WD-40 is necessary. It always seems to loosen me up rather well.

Smile

Nomad
Forum Admin

Nov 9, 5:38pm

Post #9 of 35 (516 views)
Shortcut
aaaaaah // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 5:38pm

Post #10 of 35 (517 views)
Shortcut
Those fires [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching the videos from the northern one - it's so hard to imagine a wall of flames travelling so quickly, you barely have time to get away. And what do you take with you? So many houses and businesses, all in ashes! Frown

Is there any way someone could "purchase" FilmStruck to keep it going?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:43pm

Post #11 of 35 (522 views)
Shortcut
Magic :D I'm magical [In reply to] Can't Post

Nahhh... my power went out and came back on pretty quick; but my old computer is only running on 1 power thingy of 2 to 4 that keeps a computer running. I'm being very techy... I hope you can keep up ;) Anyway. That computer takes about 30 -45 minutes to reboot, so I grabbed my old laptop... which means I have about 10 more minutes before it dies. *sigh* I hope this doesn't happen next week!!!

Prepare for the cold. Mourn the leaves gone. Everything seems so drab now, doesn't it? But I did go for a walk in this snowfall. No wind and just at freezing temp, so it's perfect. Poor Pickle didn't know what to do about it, though. Puppy kept coming back to me after going out... like he was pleading with me to fix it! What's going on!? He doesn't like his feet to get wet, so he's in for a surprise!

Have a wonderful weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 35 (512 views)
Shortcut
precisely... // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 5:58pm

Post #13 of 35 (517 views)
Shortcut
The Ancient One is awake! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, the old computer just rebooted and got back online in time for the laptop to take a nap. It's so exciting around here :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Nov 9, 5:59pm

Post #14 of 35 (516 views)
Shortcut
for glogg and St. Mary [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in middle school in Ohio and chosen to be Mary for the outdoor church nativity, my Danish great-uncle would make me a steaming pot of glogg to keep me toasty on the inside. Sweet memories.
This week I'm hoping to hire someone for catching up with paperwork so that I can invite people into the house.

I'm also working on scheduling JRRT's shorter works for the Reading Room in January. You'all are welcome to check the listing in Main to buy yourself the (cheap) reading list, mainly The Tolkien Reader.
See everyone at Homecoming next week,
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 6:21pm

Post #15 of 35 (507 views)
Shortcut
**Hangs Out Self-Serve Sign** Remember HOMECOMING FIESTA NEXT WEEK! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 7:03pm

Post #16 of 35 (509 views)
Shortcut
LOL! You need a battery back-up, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

One that gives you maybe 15 minutes of power on the computer, when the electricity goes out. Smile

Thanks for the warm-up, gramma! Poor Pickle, he wants you to open the "door into summer", doesn't he. But I bet he'll discover the joys of bounding about in several inches of soft snow before too long. Laugh

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 9, 11:18pm

Post #17 of 35 (497 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, all - [In reply to] Can't Post

wet and windy here, nothing special, soggy leaves everywhere. No snow in sight in the near future - not here, anyway - we hardly ever have any. Not too cold though; around 11C. Yes, I still cook in pounds and ounces but I've lost track of Fahrenheit! I wish I could send some of that rain to California - how awful, the fires there. I saw heart-breaking pictures on the tv news.

Am faced with making two Harry Potter cloaks (Gryffindor) as my next project, for the grandsons as part of their Christmas. Have cut out the tissue paper patterns and bought the fabric but now I need Mummy to take some stealthy measurements - arm length, back of neck to mid-calf etc - in such a way that they don't get any ideas about what's happening. I'll have to buy the badges online, there's no way I could make those. I'll mention Homecoming to Cheshire Cat.
It will be a solemn Sunday with all the 100th anniversary remembrances happening. I didn't lose any close family in WW1 but my maternal grandfather was a Tommy in the trenches and left his right thumb at Ypres - one of the lucky ones, all things considered. He never said much about it and I was too young and heedless to think of asking him. My great uncle Ernie on my Dad's side was serving in HMS Thunderer at the Battle of Jutland - he was only a slip of a lad, too. I have a photo of him, and his postcard collection he picked up on his travels - mostly pictures of Istanbul, Constantinople as it was then.
Have a good weekend, folks!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 11:40pm

Post #18 of 35 (489 views)
Shortcut
The boys are going to love those cloaks! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fun project! Smile

A century already, time passes too quickly - but we must never forget. I've heard that many of those veterans didn't want to say much about the experience, it was too horrific. Just thinking about the trenches makes me cringe.

Our holiday is Monday, and school will be open, several years back it was decided to not close for Veterans' Day but to invite all the local veterans and hold special events. So each grade (we have just over 400 students in kindergarten through grade 8) has presentations planned for an all-school rally, and then individual classes will meet with small groups of veterans for Q&A sessions. Both kids and veterans enjoy the day so much - a living history lesson.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 10, 12:34am

Post #19 of 35 (491 views)
Shortcut
Hi, everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to mention how amazed I am that it's the 100th Anniversary of the end of the Great War - my maternal great-grandfather served there, and he's buried in Arlington. I don't know any of the stories of where he fought, though, or what he did - my grandmother, his daughter, died two years ago, and I rarely got to speak to her, and when I was a kid I didn't even think to ask. I wish I had, now. I want to know more about my family's history, especially now with the anniversary approaching.
Anyway, it's cold and rainy up here in Connecticut. I'm planning a Thanksgiving party, and a Christmas party after that. My sister is pregnant - her son is due in March. Hope everyone else is well! Smile

Btw, Greenwood Hobbit, your grandsons will love those cloaks. I've got tickets to see the Harry Potter play in New York in December, and I'm gonna be wearing my Ravenclaw house scarf to go see it. One of my sisters is also a Ravenclaw, another is Hufflepuff. I'm pretty sure my other sister identifies as Gryffindor.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 10, 12:39am

Post #20 of 35 (489 views)
Shortcut
What great gifts! [In reply to] Can't Post

They're going to go nuts! They probably don't wear bathrobes, but maybe hold the bath towel up after they're next bath? They're going to freak out when they see those! Do they have any wands? I'm a Gryffendor, but my g'son is a die-hard Hufflepuff.

100 years. It's incredible when you think of how many lives... day-to-day simple lives... are changed forever from war.

*raises glass* I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear. Take care.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 10, 12:48am

Post #21 of 35 (488 views)
Shortcut
Howdy! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a surprise you never heard any stories. It's quite common for those who we in the war(s) didn't talk about it much. So even if you asked, you probably wouldn't have wiggled much out of them :)

My Dad was a Marine during WWII, and the only story I heard was how he got in trouble for trying to make fudge in his helmet in enemy territory. Like Stone Soup, others would bring any chocolate they had and toss it in the helmet sitting over a small fire... in the tropical heat... and snipers in the trees! Everyone was gathered around the helmet waiting to taste the concoction... making perfect targets!

I hope you have a great weekend... and best wishes for your sister :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10, 1:48am

Post #22 of 35 (485 views)
Shortcut
That's a great idea, GH! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure the boys will love them.

Lots of commemorations here, too. The losses among New Zealanders serving in the Great War were high, and their effects felt long afterwards. Sometimes when we visit tiny little towns and see the long list of names of young men who died, I wonder how the town carried on at all.

Mr Kimi and I each had a great-uncle who served, and I've recently found that they *must* have met each other, as at the very beginning of the war they were in the same company deployed to Samoa, and even in the same band. They were both living in the Wellington region, long before our respective families moved further north. They both came home, but they died before we were born. Mr Kimi also had a cousin (twice removed) from our little town who was among the many New Zealanders who died at Passchendaele. He was twenty years old.

We will remember them.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Nov 10, 2:10am)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 10, 1:57pm

Post #23 of 35 (443 views)
Shortcut
late as usual [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much going on this weekend - the calm before the holiday storm!

My grandfather served in WWI, in the Army - fortunately, was not wounded & made it home again. I will probably attend one or another of the various celebrations.

Cold here, so I'm just going to warm up the steamer thingy and make myself an Angel Mist.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 10, 2:03pm

Post #24 of 35 (440 views)
Shortcut
my dad [In reply to] Can't Post

was the EO on a PT boat, and he likes to tell the story of how an overly excited gunner parted my dad's hair when he was passing just in front (and fortunately, just below) of one of the guns as they were setting up for target practice.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 10, 2:07pm

Post #25 of 35 (439 views)
Shortcut
I believe in saying no to the wrong thing [In reply to] Can't Post

My analogy is that the Universe is rather like a used-car salesman and will test you to see what you are willing to settle for. If you keep saying "no" to the wrong job/person/house/whatever, eventually the Universe will realize there's no point trying to distract you from what you really want and take you around the back and show you the cherry car that's going for an amazing price.

-- Gaston Bachelard

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.