Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
time to shop for new RR thread in January!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2018, 10:40am

Post #1 of 6 (3298 views)
Shortcut
time to shop for new RR thread in January! Can't Post

In January the Reading Room will take up some of JRRT's shorter fiction and verse. The discussion will be entry-level and open to all. Emphasis is on sharing opinions and enjoying something new.
If you don't have these books, you can treat yourself for the winter holidays by planning ahead and giving them to yourself. Each one is available either in print or as an e-book for under USD10.
1. The Tolkien Reader - tentative plan is to discuss Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Leaf by Niggle, and The Homecoming. This book also contains a famous (and long) essay, On Fairy-stories (Tree and Leaf) worth reading but not part of our program.
2. Smith of Wootten Major - novella. Often found paired with Farmer Giles of Ham which will give you two copies of the latter.
I am simply organizing the schedule, not providing in-depth commentary. Your support is needed and welcome.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 9 2018, 8:44pm

Post #2 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for organizing this, Elanor! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 10 2018, 6:25pm

Post #3 of 6 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Stepping out, [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it Elly! And this may be just the nudge I need to finally read these tertiary works. (Use of 'tertiary' open to debate -- GO!)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 10 2018, 6:26pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 10 2018, 7:15pm

Post #4 of 6 (3180 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we've rehashed, reviewed and reassessed Tolkien's main works more than enough over the last decade (and when I say "decade" I am not exaggerating!).

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Nov 10 2018, 7:17pm)

sador
Half-elven

Nov 12 2018, 3:27am

Post #5 of 6 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Elanor! [In reply to] Can't Post

This seems like a great opportunity. Looking forward to following it!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2018, 4:19am

Post #6 of 6 (2603 views)
Shortcut
I love The Tolkien Reader! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to be able to participate.

Where's Frodo?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.