Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Wake up!"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 8, 3:48am

Post #1 of 19 (539 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "Wake up!" Can't Post

The big watch this past week was "The Walking Dead". I won't go into details for anyone who hasn't watched yet, but suffice to say I'm very excited about the future of the show and the franchise at large. I wasn't sure I would still want to watch after Andrew Lincoln's departure from the show, but the way they handled it ensured that this won't be a problem for me. I'm very happy about that. Smile

Also watching my new Blu-ray set of Batman: The Animated Series, which I think is still the best version of Batman ever put to screen. Watching the episodes remastered in high definition is a dream come true. Years ago, I didn't think it was even possible, but the show just looks utterly fantastic.

I also received Blu-ray copies of The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures this week (the latter I had to buy on Ebay, as it's out of print). I've seen The Frighteners before, but not Heavenly Creatures - so I'm very much looking forward to diving into it. It's rather shocking that I've haven't watched it before now, given how much I love PJ as a filmmaker. Better late than never, though. Tongue

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 8, 3:49am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 8:45am

Post #2 of 19 (468 views)
Shortcut
Bohemian Rhapsody [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen very mixed reviews (and I see there's a thread on it below this one), but the Mr and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The "Live Aid" segment in particular was amazing. We've been listening to Queen fairly constantly ever since :-)

Real life is untidier than fiction, and there's some alteration of timelines and incidents for a smoother narrative, but I did find it a moving evocation of a period that I do actually remember.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 8, 2:31pm

Post #3 of 19 (467 views)
Shortcut
Haven and Poldark [In reply to] Can't Post

A guy watching Poldark? Well, I decided to give it a try. I liked Aidan Turner as the angsty vampire in Being Human who wanted to be good and not kill people despite his instincts. Poldark has great cinematography of the Cornish landscape and seascape, and the characters are believable as individuals. My favorite (still on Season 1) is his cousin, Verity, who's both sweet and sensible. The show is a little too much like a soap opera, but then again, the historic aspect is appealing as it was in Downton Abbey, and any show that can make mining exciting is doing something right.

I'm also giving Haven a try, and I'm enjoying its light-hearted approached to the supernatural. A lot of supernatural shows are intense and gothic, but this one is pretty fun. (But not as goofy as Supernatural.)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 8, 3:26pm

Post #4 of 19 (454 views)
Shortcut
Poldark - Eleanor Tomlinson is in that, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like her. Well, anyway, I saw The Nutcracker & The Four Realms - I liked it, I know a lot of people didn't, but it was pretty cool. I've not got high hopes for Grinch, but I'll see it nonetheless, and then Fantastic Beasts looks it'll be amazing.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9, 1:46am

Post #5 of 19 (428 views)
Shortcut
Two guys: Old Man and the Gun, and First Man [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice to see Robert Redford again in a movie, and Sissy Spacek is charming. But the movie moves slowly; I did find myself dozing off, twice.

First Man is a good point-of-view movie. Similar to The Right Stuff, but trying to add realism with a lot of hand-held camera work and enough shaking inside the spacecraft that you wonder how they ever read the instruments. Enjoyable, as long as you don't get motion-sickness!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 9, 3:24am

Post #6 of 19 (426 views)
Shortcut
Colette [In reply to] Can't Post

movie about the author, starring Keira Knightley and Luke Evans as her first husband Willy, who got her started writing and then took all the credit for her work . . but their relationship was far more complicated than that, and I thought the movie did a good job of showing that.

But it's not nearly as much fun as "Impromptu," about the relationship between George Sand and Chopin, which I was reminded of.

I've been watching mostly baking shows otherwise. They didn't have political ads.

I've also been rewatching the first season of "Star Trek:Discovery" in preparation for the new season coming in January. Very much looking forward to Captain Christopher Pike!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Nov 10, 12:06am

Post #7 of 19 (378 views)
Shortcut
Re: Batman [In reply to] Can't Post

That was, in my opinion, the golden age of western animated television. At the same time or thereabouts, we also had the best seasons of The Simpsons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain (before it jumped the shark by adding Elmyra) and - sanctum sanctorum - Gargoyles. I don't think we'll see the likes again soon.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Nov 10, 12:08am

Post #8 of 19 (374 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you're not alone, Curious! [In reply to] Can't Post

My Dad watches Poldark as avidly as Mom and I. He is ardently awaiting George's downfall.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 2:47pm

Post #9 of 19 (346 views)
Shortcut
omg the ANIMATED Batman??? [In reply to] Can't Post

The one that had a sort of 40s vibe to the technology and look?

That was fabulous!

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 3:19pm

Post #10 of 19 (343 views)
Shortcut
Poldark and Woman in White and Doctor Who [In reply to] Can't Post

I got stuck on Poldark last year (I have no idea what season PBS is on now)...

I hate soap operas but like historic stuff, so: cliff stare, pretty horses, pretty hero, nice red hair, cliff stare, ohgawd really??? don't tell me you guys are fighting again, somebody please destroy the Evil Vicar, starcrossed lovers, cliff stare, pretty horses...

Good character development and interesting that many of the social issues of the (what century is this again?) are still relevant.

Woman in White follows Poldark on Sunday nights here in PA, and I took a look, then got sucked in. Apparently one of the very first myysteries and set the mold for modern mysteries. Dark haired sister is cool and relatable. Women's lives in that (what century is this again???) period sucked raw ostrich eggs...too dependent on the whims of men.

The new Doctor Who is fabulous; THIS IS THE SHOW I WANTED WHEN I WAS TWELVE!!!

I like Jodi Whittaker's "fizzy energy", her well channeled ADD brainstyle, her awesome costume, her new tardis (all goddess cave and crystals), her new companions, er, friends, and the leaner lines of the stories (not the convoluted whattheheck is going on now of the Moffat years, tho I liked those a lot too).

I understand is it harkening back to the Hartnell years a bit with the 3 companions, the emphasis on history, and some other bits. I like that the real monsters have not been the creepy looking things but the dark side of human nature.

Over on

https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/

the Doctor Who forum, there has been much discussion, as there always is when a new Doctor arrives. Proof that we all have different tastes... I personally hate pepperoni pizza and Picasso. Fine if you like them.

WinkWinkWinkWink

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 3:21pm

Post #11 of 19 (340 views)
Shortcut
is it a spoiler... [In reply to] Can't Post

to cheer for runaway horses?

oh wait, that wasn't George...

WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

George ...sigh... what's funny is how his wife is content, and kind of loves him... so he's complicated and not all horrible. He just needs to be placed on a very short leash. Perhaps have some experience that causes him to understand what it's like to be in an underprivileged state.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 4:05pm

Post #12 of 19 (340 views)
Shortcut
also... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Lost Episodes" of Doctor Who (Hartnell) on DVD borrowed from library.

Weird, some of them only have the audio. Still interesting.

Jumanji (with Jack Black and Dwayne Johnson and Gamora's Sister... Who Was Also a Companion... hilarious, and shows off the capabilities of the actors as they play, not only their gaming avatar grownup heroes, but the geeky teens playing the game... The Rock shifts from geek to hero in merre seconds in some scenes, and is fabulous.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 4:10pm

Post #13 of 19 (339 views)
Shortcut
Dear BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

There are other breeds of horse besides Friesians...

SlySlySlySlySlySly

Every

single

epic

scene

requiring equines... big black bendy curvy pretty fluffy footed horses with Way Too Much Mane To Groom.

Now my favorite color of horse is black. I like Friesians a lot, they are very beautiful and curvy and elegant and have a lovely floating round set of gaits...

but come on! Where are the Shetland ponies?????? The Appaloosas? The Chincoteague Ponies? The Marsh Tackies? Maybe a Marwari or two (you had your chance and blew it Doctor Who).

It's like watching American westerns where everything is Quarter Horses.

Diversity folks, diversity.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 17, 5:59pm

Post #14 of 19 (255 views)
Shortcut
I watch Poldark and [In reply to] Can't Post

Woman in White. I read WiW as a teenager and dont remember much about it. Men controlling women is frightening and still goes on today.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 19, 6:22pm

Post #15 of 19 (240 views)
Shortcut
WiW and Poldark [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the season finale for both, and while women in terrifying positions of powerlessness are themes in both, at least it worked out in these stories and the villains got their comuppance...

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20, 1:05am

Post #16 of 19 (234 views)
Shortcut
I really liked Haven [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt like the protagonists were all keen on helping people. There was drama and antagonists, but the story of the week was always about helping.

And Duke Crocker tics all my boxes for attractiveness in men. :-)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 20, 1:21am

Post #17 of 19 (234 views)
Shortcut
That guy takes his shirt off more than Sawyer did in "Lost" [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from that, you make a good point about the show. I've finished season 1 now, and I was thinking about the "helping people" aspect of it, and how it seems 1) sincere and 2) not overly mushy. It certainly ennobles the main characters that they're trying to do the right thing without being too preachy about it, more like it's their instinct than their mission.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 20, 2:31am

Post #18 of 19 (231 views)
Shortcut
*zooms in* Your subject line is relevant to my interests. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 20, 3:15am

Post #19 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
LOL. Here I was complaining about him, & instead I wind up advertising for him. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.