Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So, about the new Dr Who series...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7, 7:54pm

Post #1 of 13 (369 views)
Shortcut
So, about the new Dr Who series... Can't Post

Is anyone else a tiny bit bored? I've been waiting for the storylines to get some spark to them but five episodes in and it all seems a bit mundane.

What are your thoughts?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 7, 10:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (334 views)
Shortcut
I've watched them all [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am really enjoying Jodie Whittaker's take on the role. However there is a bit of too-obvious 'preachiness'in evidence that in the past was done a bit more deftly; also the characters are inclined to stop in the middle of really serious moments for a bit of dialogue to debate some point or other, while I'm hopping up and down on my chair going, 'Stop whittering, you two - you've only got four minutes!' etc. I was quite relieved to see a genuinely alien environment and a wacky little 'monster' in the most recent one. A few more space-time stories would be good, but the next episode is set in India in 1947 and a recent one was set in the segregation days of the US. It's running the risk of being too much like a historical documentary if it does too many things like that, excellent and educational though they might be. No Christmas special this year, either! *sigh*

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 7, 10:38pm

Post #3 of 13 (332 views)
Shortcut
I thought I would be bored, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Jodie Whittaker is so awesome, and she is a perfect Doctor. That accent! And she's got that way about her, that she combines all the previous Doctors.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 7, 10:43pm

Post #4 of 13 (332 views)
Shortcut
I've just peeked at DigitalSpy [In reply to] Can't Post

and an upcoming episode sounds like fun - with a bit of a dig at Amazon, I fancy!
"'Delivery for the Doctor!' A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy's largest retailer: Kerblam!"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7, 10:52pm

Post #5 of 13 (331 views)
Shortcut
I really like Jodie as the Doctor too [In reply to] Can't Post

but I feel that her potential has been limited by the scripts so far. She's great, but for me the writing is lacking the usual imaginative punch.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 8, 2:14am)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Nov 8, 1:04am

Post #6 of 13 (322 views)
Shortcut
I get what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't as fond of the Rosa Parks episode, it felt a tad dull, but the one with the spiders was very good. I watch for Jodie. I also like her supporting cast, though.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 8, 1:19am

Post #7 of 13 (320 views)
Shortcut
Perfunctory aliens [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the new Doctor, but the aliens I've seen in the first 3 episodes were nothing new or special, just bad guys from outer space the Doctor needed to defeat, very generic bad guys.

Did the writers think that having a woman was a big risk, so they needed to stay conservative on plots? Or are they just running out of ideas? Hard to say. I hope things get more interesting; I haven't seen the spider one yet.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 8, 2:29pm

Post #8 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
Just don't [In reply to] Can't Post

watch it with anyone who is scared of spiders!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 8, 3:57pm

Post #9 of 13 (306 views)
Shortcut
That would be me [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately the title and the preview tipped me off to the contents of the story---spiders!---so I let my husband watch it on his own. He says it's definitely not for me.

I agree with what others have said, that the new doctor and the new companions are very good but the scripts are lacking, with the emphasis on virtue-signaling rather than on creative science fiction. Not that I at all disagree with the virtues being signaled! I just wish they weren't doing it so heavy-handedly.

I don't care for the new design of the Tardis. I much preferred the "old library" look of Capaldi's Tardis. This one is---disturbing. But I suppose they were going for a truly alien look, since otherwise the doctor doesn't seem particularly alien at all.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 9, 12:06pm

Post #10 of 13 (284 views)
Shortcut
It's been pretty mediocre so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Jodie Whitaker is fine as the Doctor, but Bradley Walsh has stolen the show so far.
None of the stories this series have been outstanding so far. I was hoping for more with Chibnall in charge.

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 11, 1:07pm

Post #11 of 13 (239 views)
Shortcut
"All day long." [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bradley Walsh has stolen the show so far."
Sorry, you won't get the reference unless you watch The Chase.

Belegdir
Lorien

Nov 11, 2:28pm

Post #12 of 13 (235 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I was disappointed to hear Walsh was going to be on Doctor Who because I don't like The Chase.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 14, 2:41pm

Post #13 of 13 (214 views)
Shortcut
THE ONE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE I WAS 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

(oh gee, caps lock stuck) Wink

I have to frame this with the fact that I've been aware of Doctor Who since I found fandom back in the 80s. I own a ginormous authentic scarf someone knitted for me. I found "sonic sunglasses" at the dollar store and a hoodie trench coat at the thrift shop. I named my second blue kayak the TARDIS (it travels through watery space and time).

I've only been able to watch the series consistently with Capaldi's Doctor, though I've seen earlier episodes at friends' houses over the years, sporadically. Enough to know I like TENnant and Ma11 Smith very much.

There's a fabulous Who forum over here:

https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/

...and they've been saying pretty much the same things you all are.

but I think this is how it is with each new regernation. Now we have a new actor/showrunner/writers/everything... "it's not my doctor" virus runs rampant.

Until most get used to the new version.

But this is the beauty of Doctor Who, it regenerates, it may not be YOUR tea and biscuits but it is fresh.

I understand the series is harking back to the original Hartnell episodes a bit: 3 companions, (some are complaining about companion overload, but, Fellowship anyone?), more historical pieces (I happen to love those so far), less convoluted plots, and a nice place to jump on board if you haven't seen the series before. (you don't have to have the Whovipedia in your brain).

I like the "fizzy energy" Jodie Whittaker brings to the role, sort of super well channeled ADD brainstyle.

I like the organic, mysterious "goddess cave" of the tardis with crystals and blues and golds And the steampunk dashboard with its dials and levers and fiddly bits...

And I adore the costume... though why the T-shirt keeps changing colors is beyond me...

I like that so far the real villains of each tale have been the dark side of human nature, not the "monsters". The truly villainous aliens (Rosa) have been all too familiarly human. Perhaps this is a reflection of our world right now: we are so xenophobic in so many places... this is not the time for Scary Monsters From Outer Space, but to examine our own inner darkness.

This is the show I wish I'd had when I was twelve (well, I did have Star Trek); adventure, history brought to life (I did go on to do a lot of living history), spacethefinalfrontier, girl heroes, cool guys, and a quirky funny exuberant brilliant do-it-yourself (how many times has the sonic blown up so far?) hero with two hearts and a screwdriver to fix things.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mżl 'lain nallol, I sŻl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.