The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Could Amazon adapt War of the North?

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 1 2018, 10:47pm

Post #1 of 9 (3164 views)
Shortcut
Could Amazon adapt War of the North? Can't Post

Or does WB still have some right of Middle-Earth to a potential movie?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 2 2018, 12:01am

Post #2 of 9 (3137 views)
Shortcut
Potential Spin-off [In reply to] Can't Post

In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory.

Add to this the assaults on Lórien from Dol Guldur as well as the Siege of Erebor by Easterlings. Theoretically Amazon has access to this material; perhaps it could be used as the basis for a spin-off series.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 2 2018, 12:07am

Post #3 of 9 (3129 views)
Shortcut
Recasting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could they use the same actors from the movies or do you think they will recast?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 2 2018, 1:06am

Post #4 of 9 (3117 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a little of both? [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be possible for some of the actors from Peter Jackson's films to reprise their roles, though these could be new iterations of some of the same characters.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 2 2018, 6:20pm

Post #5 of 9 (2967 views)
Shortcut
This should be part of the films [In reply to] Can't Post

For my money, this is the kind of stuff that can be stitched into a a boxset version of the films: flashbacks to Balin's colony during the Mazarbul sequence; cutaways to war preparations in Erebor and the Woodland Realm in Fellowship of the Ring and/or The Two Towers, and to their triumph in film 3.

Its not the kind of thing that required much screentime: like a little short-film stitched into the existing films.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 2 2018, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 9 (2966 views)
Shortcut
My 6-film format [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually has all that: plus Gollum's escape from the Woodland Realm in the first film.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 2 2018, 6:49pm

Post #7 of 9 (2959 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just about to say its unneeded, but it can serve as a nice segue to the war preparations in The Woodland Realm. I do think there's a value - for new audiences - in not seeing Gollum. We meet him in An Unexpected Journey, but that's 60 years prior, so for new audiences there'll still be the "well, what does he look like now?" bit of tension going on. But you can still make a sequence that cuts around that.

Cutting to the Woodland Realm and Erebor in Fellowship of the Ring will also make the beginning of that film feel more like a respite than a new beginning, and give the film the scale of the others, while also providing reason for Legolas and Gimli showing up in Rivendell.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 2 2018, 6:51pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 2 2018, 8:54pm

Post #8 of 9 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Gollum remains unseen [In reply to] Can't Post

Except in very quick flashes. Gandalf interrogates him, and all you see is his hands poking through the bars. When he escapes, it's dark so you can't really see him at all.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 4 2018, 8:39pm

Post #9 of 9 (2603 views)
Shortcut
Better as movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if War of the North should be a tv-series. Would like it to be one or two big movies.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.