Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Favorite Chapter In The Two Towers?

manofmordor
The Shire

Oct 24, 4:17am

Post #1 of 9 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Chapter In The Two Towers? Can't Post

Hey guys after recently reading the two towers for the first time after seeing the movies i fell in love with the last two chapters "Shelob's Lair" and "The Choices Of Samwise". (I changed my profile icon to fan art of this scene lol) Anyway i love it because the entire book leads up to this amazing climax and this epic battle with shelob followed by having terrible grief and sorrow yet still knowing that somehow the difficult task must be done, Tolkien even describes that Samwise didnt want this he didn't want to face the task alone. He wanted his master. And I especially love the hesitation in retrieving the ring from the body of frodo. he didn't know if he should but he kept telling himself that Frodo, Gandalf and the others will understand. Anybody else would've taken it immidiately with no hesitation. But not Samwise Gamgee, While he did end up retrieving the ring he had to 100% know that it was the right thing to do. And it was, And destroying the ring because he is the only member left is the only way samwise would take a hold of it. And i love that. I really do appreciate Tolkien's ability to create such a character as Samwise Gamgee.

So I was wondering, what are some of your favorite chapters from the second book and what chapters really empowered you while reading this for the first time?

"There's some good in this world Mr. Frodo. And that good is worth fighting for." - Samwise Gamgee

(This post was edited by manofmordor on Oct 24, 4:18am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 24, 4:36am

Post #2 of 9 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Certainly, [In reply to] Can't Post

on my first reading of TTT (which is my favourite book of the three), when I read, 'Frodo was alive but taken by the Enemy', I hurriedly turned the page and literally cried out "Noooo!" - because we were back with Gandalf and I knew it'd be half a book before I found out what happened to Frodo.

But... I think my favourite chapter might be Flotsam and Jetsam, when Aragorn and Co meet up with Merry and Pippin in the ruins of Isengard. The gang were starting to get back together, and they scored a decisive win against one big enemy. (And there were talking trees! Who were totally not to be messed with! what's not to love?) Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

manofmordor
The Shire

Oct 24, 4:52am

Post #3 of 9 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha thats funny! Dang it Gandalf back with you again? Wink Laugh

Anyway Nice! I enjoyed that chapter too!

(This post was edited by manofmordor on Oct 24, 4:54am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 24, 8:23am

Post #4 of 9 (1242 views)
Shortcut
I only get one favorite? lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked "Helm's Deep," as the first big battle, and such an exciting one.

Then I liked "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit," partly because they were in a wholesome land eating wholesome food after all that time in desolate, accursed places, and partly because of Faramir appearing here, and the way he and Frodo had a duel of wits with each other.

But I like "Shelob's Lair" too, and two of my favorite passages are from there, plus the Phial makes a grand appearance:

They walked as it were in a black vapour wrought of veritable darkness itself that, as it was breathed, brought blindness not only to the eyes but to the mind, so that even the memory of colours and of forms and of any light faded out of thought. Night always had been, and always would be, and night was all.

Then holding the star aloft and the bright sword advanced, Frodo, hobbit of the Shire, walked steadily down to meet the eyes.

noWizardme
Valinor

Oct 25, 6:21pm

Post #5 of 9 (1166 views)
Shortcut
The poor readers who were reading LOTR as it was published... [In reply to] Can't Post

Had to wait some months in suspense before ROTK came out. Nooooo!

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

noWizardme
Valinor

Oct 25, 6:37pm

Post #6 of 9 (1165 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on it being a great ending! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once upon a time I used to prefer Book III, with all the battles and rushing around. Book IV seems a bit like a super-sized Flight To The Ford - in both sections, we plod along waiting for evil to strike. But I came really to like it during our last LOTR read-through. And the ending just keeps escalating, with Tolkien cruelly (brilliantly) denying us the pay-off until Book VI, in which what seems like Sam's all-too-human decision to abandon the Quest to save Frodo turns out to be (arguably) the only way the quest could have succeeded.

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

sador
Half-elven

Oct 28, 3:20am

Post #7 of 9 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Difficult to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

It varies from reading to reading.
Perhaps I would chose "The Black Gate is Closed", as it is the first chapter I led a discussion of in the Reading Room.
As a rule, whenever we had organised discussions I would try and pick a chapter I like less than the others, and end up learning to appreciate it greatly.

I wonder which chapters you'll like best next time?

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Oct 28, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (1125 views)
Shortcut
"King of the Golden Hall" [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I love Rohan. And King Theoden is such an amazing character, and I just love the part when Gandalf conquers over Wormtongue, singing of the beauty of Lorien and the power of Galadriel, bringing her magic into play; the way she is so omnipresent is just great.
I do agree that Samwise is one of the best characters in the book; so innocent, yet strong, so caring, determined, loving, loyal. "Choices of Master Samwise" would have to be my second-favorite chapter; and it also features a brief appearance by the Lady of Lorien! I love her. And you know, I've never thought about this, but she was born in Valinor, so in a way she was getting revenge on Ungoliant, who poisoned her land, by providing the weapons to slay Ungoliant's dreadful daughter…anybody here ever realized that? This is Silmarillion stuff, I know, unrelated to Two Towers, so I'll close on this note: every chapter in TT is just incredible. RotK is my favorite of the trilogy, but TT has this beauty to it, something I don't know how to put into words…it's a great book. I can't remember what chapter most empowered me on my first reading, but (Embarrassing Confession Alert!) as a kid I was terrified of "The Taming of Smeagol" because of Gollum, and at night I would always put another, heavier book over the Two Towers to prevent Gollum ever escaping from the pages…Blush

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

elostirion74
Rohan

Oct 30, 9:51am

Post #9 of 9 (918 views)
Shortcut
great choice - mine is a little different [In reply to] Can't Post

The last two chapters are both very exciting and highly emotional as well as providing us with an added focus on Sam´s character. Chapter 10 contains one of my favourite lines "The world changed, and a single moment in time was filled with an hour of thought".

Still I like chapter 7 Journey to the Cross-roads even more, although I don´t think it was my favourite chapter on my first readings. There are so many intriguing and beautiful details in this chapter. I love the quiet description of the growing tension and how Tolkien uses impressions of sound to show especially Frodo´s fear and uncertainty. I love how the landscape and light changes as they approach the mountains, the atmospheric descriptions of walking through areas of woodland flowers, and the focus on the various small hiding places where the hobbits sleep or rest. My favourite line from the chapter: "The land dreams in a false peace".

In terms of character portrayal my favourite is the dialogue between Frodo and Faramir in chapter 4 and 5. Such an interesting way of being introduced to a new character, the tension between wanting to trust someone and not quite daring to do so. I´m also fascinated by how they handle the difficult position they are both in and the considerable respect they show each other.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.