The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Couple of TLoTR movie questions

CMackintosh
Rivendell

Oct 21 2018, 7:55am

Post #1 of 7 (4735 views)
Shortcut
Couple of TLoTR movie questions Can't Post

We know the action in the books took at least a year from the time Gandalf tells Frodo about the Ring up to and including Frodo leaving the Shire and going on his Quest. The movie seems to compress the timeline quite drastically; from Bilbo's Party to the destruction of the Ring it seems to be less than three months if even that. Has anybody calculated the rate of compression of the timeline in the movies?
And secondly, does anyone know if there is any book of the scripts - theatre and extended - being released any time soon? I would like to get my grubby little paws on it/them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2018, 8:43am

Post #2 of 7 (4705 views)
Shortcut
17:1 [In reply to] Can't Post

The events that play out over a period of seventeen years in the book, from Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday to the Council of Elrond, take place over about one year in the movie. We know it cannot be less than a year; much too much happens to fit into a single month.

The book (using "the Tale of Years"):

3001 - Bilbo's farewell feast. Gandalf suspects his ring to be the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled. Gandalf seeks for news of Gollum and calls on the help of Aragorn.

3004 - Gandalf visits Frodo in the Shire; and does so at intervals during the next four years.

3008 - In the autumn Gandalf pays his last visit to Frodo.

3009 - Gandalf and Aragorn renew their hunt for Gollum at intervals during the next eight years... At some time during these years Gollum himself ventured near Mordor, and was captured by Sauron.

3017 - Gollum is released from Mordor. He is taken by Aragorn in the Dead Marches, and brought to Thranduil in Mirkwood. Gandalf visits Minas Tirith and reads the scroll of Isildur.

3018 - Gandalf reaches Hobbiton on April 12. He advises Frodo to make arrangements to secretly leave the Shire and take the Ring to Rivendell. The Council of Elrond is held on October 25.

The movie:

3000 - Bilbo's farewell feast on September 22 (yes, Peter either deliberately altered the year or got it wrong). Gandalf leaves to seek out Gollum and to research the One Ring.

3001 - Gandalf returns to Hobbiton in late-summer or early autumn. He leaves to consult with Saruman while Frodo and Samwise depart for Rivendell. The Council of Elrond is held on October 25.

What I've been curious about is how the rest of the events of the films play out compared to the timeline of the books. Does the Fellowship depart from Rivendell on December 25? When do the Three Hunters and Gandalf the White reach Edoras? Is it still in March, after Aragorn's date of birth? It matters because in the books Strider was eighty-seven years old when he first met Frodo in Bree; it was on his eighty-eighth birthday that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli first encountered Gandalf the White. In the films, Aragorn tells Éowyn that he is eighty-seven years old; so this is either before the beginning of March or PJ messed up again.

As far as I know, no shooting scripts have been officially released and there are no plans to do so.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 21 2018, 8:57am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2018, 9:40am

Post #3 of 7 (4690 views)
Shortcut
The Rest of the Story [In reply to] Can't Post

In Tolkien's Lord of the Rings the Ring-bearers depart Middle-earth on September 29 of the year 3021, twenty years and some days after Bilbo's birthday party. In the films, Bilbo and the others depart from the Grey Havens four years after Frodo is wounded by the Witch-king at Weathertop--we can guess that the movie ends in the year 3005 (T.A.). That gives us a total rate of compression of 20:5 or 4:1.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 21 2018, 9:41am)

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 23 2018, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 7 (4600 views)
Shortcut
The time spent in Rivendell interests me [In reply to] Can't Post

because The Two Towers sees Denethor, having already recieved summons from Elrond to come to the council, sending out Boromir, whose travels in the book were about a year-long.

That said, temporally-wonky or not, I really like those none-linear touches. If you lay the sextet's running time out, the sujet (chronological progress of the story) is all over the place. Very few film franchises went this route.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Oct 23 2018, 8:32pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 23 2018, 9:10pm

Post #5 of 7 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's travels [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but my Tale of Years says that Boromir set out from Minas Tirith, July 4th, 3018, and arriving in Rivendell on the night of October 24th, that same year. That's only a few months.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 24 2018, 12:51pm

Post #6 of 7 (4521 views)
Shortcut
Oakey is Correct [In reply to] Can't Post

It 'only' took Boromir 3 2/3 months to travel from Minas Tirith to Rivendell--and that long because he lost his horse at the crossing at Tharbad and then had to actually find Imladris. Of course in the book, the only summons was a divine one, sent to Faramir in a dream (even though Boromir was the one chosen to answer it).

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 24 2018, 6:01pm

Post #7 of 7 (4469 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Nevertheless, that would mean that quite some time had passed during the early Rivendell scenes, if the films' sense of chronology is to be considered robust (which it isn't, but never mind).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.