Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
who has seen netflix's "the house on haunted hill"? (SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 16 2018, 4:18am

Post #1 of 4 (688 views)
Shortcut
who has seen netflix's "the house on haunted hill"? (SPOILER DISCUSSION) Can't Post

i wound up binge watching netflix's "the house on haunted hill" over the weekend. i had various reactions throughout., sometimes conflicting reactions. at various times i found it intriguing, tedious, poignant, moving, dark, disturbing, eloquent, etc. the cinematography was something i did not enjoy too much... needlessly overdark. i thought the costume design was fantastic. and i loved the (extremely) ambitious use of sustained time mixing, both in terms of editing and in terms of within the story itself.

was wondering who might have also seen it, and what were everyone's thoughts?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 16 2018, 9:36pm

Post #2 of 4 (644 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to say that I gave up during the 1st episode [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might have potential, but I couldn't connect with any of the characters hence didn't care what happened to them or what they did. I thought it also pretended to be darker than it was (at least of what I saw).

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 16 2018, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 4 (643 views)
Shortcut
honestly, that was my first reaction as well [In reply to] Can't Post

honestly, that was my first reaction as well.

the first few episodes, i found it extremely difficult to connect with any of the characters, and it was also very hard to discern what was going on with all the time shifts and overlapping times.

i stuck with it, and i was better able to connect with it a few episodes in. but for a 10-episode series, i think that's very problematic.

i do plan to rewatch it, but i completely understand why people threw in the towel after the first episode or so.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

BountyHunter
The Shire

Oct 23 2018, 5:37am

Post #4 of 4 (591 views)
Shortcut
😳 [In reply to] Can't Post

This was one of the best shows I've seen in a while. Not sure why peopl aren't enjoying it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.