I still love The Hobbit!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jeffrodo
Bree

Oct 22 2018, 2:50am

Post #1 of 40 (17957 views)
Shortcut
I still love The Hobbit! Can't Post

Almost 6 years ago the trilogy debuted. So much has been said of it, so much criticism and comparison to LOTR. Yet after 6 years I find I still LOVE The Hobbit trilogy. These are entertaining films that take me away to Middle Earth once again. Yes there are things I’d change but overall the movies are so good. I also find them very rewatchable.

I hope we see some of the dwarves in the new tv series!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2018, 4:10am

Post #2 of 40 (17836 views)
Shortcut
My own thoughts are complicated, but your love makes my heart glad. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way around it. My reaction to each of the films was one of initial disappointment, followed by an acceptance of what they weren't, and a cherishing of the elements which I did love.

But it fills me with so much happiness that there are those who unabashedly love them - who have a special place in their hearts for each and every frame (just as I do with the LotR trilogy).

One thing I will say about my own experience with the Hobbit is that I wouldn't trade that build up to An Unexpected Journey for anything in the world. The film didn't ultimately live up to my expectations, but the journey (pun intended Tongue) to get there was one of the most joyous experiences of my life (matching the joy I felt during the heyday of LotR).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 22 2018, 4:10am)

Belegdir
Lorien

Oct 22 2018, 1:37pm

Post #3 of 40 (17784 views)
Shortcut
I may not love it as much as LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I do enjoy the films for what they are and have no problems watching them. Sure there are elements I wish were changed, or not included, but I think everyone involved did a marvellous job. Especially Freeman. I though his portrayal of Bilbo was excellent.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 24 2018, 7:22pm

Post #4 of 40 (17695 views)
Shortcut
So do I! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it so much, I spent 3 years saving money for my own trip to Middle-earth! (Now I am in love with New Zealand & hope to return somedayHeartEvil) There's actually very little I would change in the Hobbit films, and what I don't care for is so minor that I usually just let it play. Yes, I loved the original trilogy as well, drove my family insane watching them so much. But if it's possible, I may love the Hobbit films more! I confess, my crush on Thorin might have SOMETHING to do with it, but really, all of the actors were perfect for their parts, even if I didn't much care for the characters. And then of course there's New Zealand's breathtaking landscapes. Okay, that's it, I gotta go THERE AND BACK AGAIN!!!Wink

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies - this is me!

from The Greatest Showman

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 24 2018, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 40 (17691 views)
Shortcut
I'll join the sentiment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I loved the original trilogy as well.

To me, this idea of an "original" trilogy is artificial. Its a unified sextet (or hexalogy). If there's a difference between the two trilogies, its all within the reasonable and desirable boundaries of variation, much like you'd expect between individual films in a trilogy: you can't have six films all be the exact same, after all.

In Reply To
But if it's possible, I may love the Hobbit films more!

They're certainly more accesible from a packaging standpoint: being significantly shorter. As a result, I ended up watching them in recent years much more frequently than The Lord of the Rings, purely for "logistical" reasons.

Thematically, these kinds of archetypal stories get a lot of flack for their supposed simplicity, and while that's untrue and overlooks several complex character stories injected into the narrative (issues of loyalty in Return of the King, for instance), never in this series have they been as front-and-center as Thorin's is.

This character is so wonderfully nuanced, flawed and at times morally ambigious - its gripping stuff.

Noria
Gondor

Oct 26 2018, 12:52pm

Post #6 of 40 (17528 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I mentioned on the LotR movie forum, I recently watched those movies for the first time in several years, and found that the same things thrilled me and the same things irked me that always had. My immense love of these movies overall has not diminished.

Now I’ve started rewatching The Hobbit and have just finished AUJ. I still love it though the same things still annoy me, like the Goblin King. As with the books, TH movies will always be second in my heart to the LotR films, but that is still a lot of love.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 26 2018, 4:41pm

Post #7 of 40 (17518 views)
Shortcut
My basic problems [In reply to] Can't Post

with AUJ and definitely the strongest ones of the whole trilogy are the troll sequence and the whole Radagast/Wargs/Dwarves/Elves sequence.These 2 lengthy scenes ruin the pace and the overall cohesion of this movie,that's why it is my least favourite of all six!

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Oct 26 2018, 6:39pm

Post #8 of 40 (17501 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, call me Ve.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2018, 10:18pm

Post #9 of 40 (17458 views)
Shortcut
Following up on my earlier reply... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this thread has made me realize that I never have actually watched all three parts in a single sitting, as one long film. I'm actually rather shocked that I haven't done this.

Given that I've long held onto my misgivings about the decision to split the story into three movies, I wonder how my feelings about the adaptation might (or might not) be altered by such a viewing.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 27 2018, 9:36am

Post #10 of 40 (17404 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
with AUJ and definitely the strongest ones of the whole trilogy are the troll sequence and the whole Radagast/Wargs/Dwarves/Elves sequence.These 2 lengthy scenes ruin the pace and the overall cohesion of this movie,that's why it is my least favourite of all six!

Same, although the Warg chase at least sets-up the idea that the company is being hunted and does move them to Rivendell.

That's the funny thing: if the theatrical cut would have been shorter, we'd all accept the extended cut, as it is, without a quibble, I think.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 27 2018, 2:27pm

Post #11 of 40 (17378 views)
Shortcut
I love the Warg chase [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I love the contrast between the Brown Wizard on his rabbit-sled, or whatever that contraption is, and the orcs. Such a beautiful intertwining of elements from Middle-earth.
I don't love AUJ as much as the other two Hobbit films; I've never been fond of the Troll sequence, and I thought it moved a little slower - though the battle at the end is quite incredible, and Riddles in the Dark, and Rivendell of course. I do love the Hobbit movies, overall, though: they don't get me as emotional as the Lord of the Rings, and they don't fill me with that same inspiration, but they are beautiful films, and the acting is superb, I can forgive little things like Bard's annoying kids, or some of the more out-there Dwarves (looking at you, Ori!). I loved everything in DoS except for the fact that it didn't really work well as a film. BoFA was awesome, and Thorin's death is a touching scene, straight out of the book. I wish some things were different, but I can't ever hate or even dislike the Hobbit movies.
And I'm also still in love with Tauriel and Galadriel, so there's that, too…

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 27 2018, 7:15pm

Post #12 of 40 (17375 views)
Shortcut
If you get a chance to try that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell us how it goes. I'd be interested to hear what perspectives it changes or confirms to see them all together. These days the best I can manage is consecutive days, which still maintains the separation too much to feel truly continuous.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Oct 27 2018, 8:00pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2018, 7:48pm

Post #13 of 40 (17366 views)
Shortcut
It's so much harder as you get older, lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

The only time I was able to do a full viewing of LotR was shortly after the Theatrical Cut of RotK came out on DVD in Summer '04 (so it wasn't even the full Extended viewing). I had the benefit of being on summer vacation from college and a tolerant mother (and a dad at work Wink).

Nowadays, the option only exists on the weekend, and having an empty house for an entire day seems nearly impossible. Still, when an opportunity arises, I will pounce on it. Cool

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 27 2018, 8:08pm

Post #14 of 40 (17362 views)
Shortcut
Too true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did Trilogy Tuesday for LOTR, which was a great experience, but I never replicated that at home. And now I just don't have the stamina to sit and watch for so many hours straight anymore. Maybe I could manage AUJ one day and the other two the next, if I found a clear day.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 27 2018, 11:16pm

Post #15 of 40 (17355 views)
Shortcut
The full experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the chance to watch all 6 back in September, back-to-back, and I always have the stamina. Cool My sister does the same thing, annually. These movies never grow old.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 28 2018, 12:27am

Post #16 of 40 (17354 views)
Shortcut
The movies may not grow old... [In reply to] Can't Post

but we do. 17 years of water under the bridge can make a difference.
But I'm glad you and your sister can do it. Enjoy! Smile

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 28 2018, 12:46am

Post #17 of 40 (17348 views)
Shortcut
17 years from now I'll probably be saying the same thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

But for now I'm gonna savor every moment I've got Smile haha

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 28 2018, 7:34pm

Post #18 of 40 (17228 views)
Shortcut
That's one change from the book I really appreciated [In reply to] Can't Post

Overall the Dwarves in the book aren't terribly well-developed, even Thorin. I love that PJ tried to give each Dwarf a personality and a purpose within the Company (Gloin the banker, Oin the medic, Dwalin the bodyguard, etc). It is sad that he couldn't keep that up throughout the trilogy, but 13 is a really big ensemble. But Thorin, yeah, I think Richard really owned the part. You could just see the problems developing into full-blown madness, which made his change of heart and sacrifice all the more tragic. And the friendship that developed between him and Bilbo, well, I don't think that was anywhere in the book; granted, maybe I'm just not that observant, but I think the movies really emphasized the long-term effect it had on Bilbo.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 28 2018, 7:44pm

Post #19 of 40 (17237 views)
Shortcut
I've done it [In reply to] Can't Post

but you'd have to stay up all night to watch all six movies together. I've watched the LoTR trilogy in one day (took over 12 hrs), and the Hobbit trilogy in one day (which takes nearly as long). But another thing I've done is watch DoS, BOT5A and Fellowship in one day. The reason being you have Thorin's promise to the people of Laketown (all will share in the gold), Smaug's attack & death (which is great uninterrupted), and Thorin giving Bilbo the shirt, which is mentioned by Gandalf in Fellowship. It's kind of a mini-marathon, and an interesting perspective.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 28 2018, 11:13pm

Post #20 of 40 (17208 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting way to do it... [In reply to] Can't Post

To get the transition from one to the next. Did you find it at all distracting or jarring to jump straight from the Bilbo/Frodo bookend to the opening of FOTR with Ian Holm and the younger Elijah Wood?

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2018, 4:02am

Post #21 of 40 (17178 views)
Shortcut
I don't imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I, personally, would find the Hobbit-LotR marathon fulfilling. I understand the inclination to do it, but the two trilogies (or films, since we're speaking of single-sitting marathons) are such separate entities for me, that I prefer to keep them that way.

I am still keen to find a way to do the Hobbit in one go, however. Since that won't happen for some time, I've taken another route to give me a single-Hobbit experience. I've made a playlist of all three of Howard's scores, excising certain tracks (the first two songs and some bonus tracks) to create a cohesive, non-stop score presentation.

I'm actually listening to it now (I past from AUJ into DoS about 20 minutes ago). It's an extremely pleasurable listening experience, I must say.

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 29 2018, 4:02am)

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 29 2018, 9:53am

Post #22 of 40 (17152 views)
Shortcut
a Six-part marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but you'd have to stay up all night to watch all six movies together. I've watched the LoTR trilogy in one day (took over 12 hrs), and the Hobbit trilogy in one day (which takes nearly as long). But another thing I've done is watch DoS, BOT5A and Fellowship in one day. The reason being you have Thorin's promise to the people of Laketown (all will share in the gold), Smaug's attack & death (which is great uninterrupted), and Thorin giving Bilbo the shirt, which is mentioned by Gandalf in Fellowship. It's kind of a mini-marathon, and an interesting perspective.

I tried watching all six. I gave up quite early into the Two Towers, where I was just so exhausted it turned into a chore more than a delight. This isn't like, say, a Star Wars marathon: these movies are much more serious and weighty, and therefore deplete the audience (in a good way) much more quickly.

And yes, everything between The Desolation of Smaug to The Fellowship of the Ring (or even The Two Towers) forms a nice continuous flow. Inevitably, due to the cliffhanger ending of The Desolation of Smaug and the in medias res opening of The Battle of the Five Armies. Because the latter ends on a somewhat depressing note, I always finish watching it with a desire to watch The Fellowship of the Ring.

In Reply To
Did you find it at all distracting or jarring to jump straight from the Bilbo/Frodo bookend to the opening of FOTR with Ian Holm and the younger Elijah Wood?

There are almost nine hours of cinema between the two bookends of the framework device, so it doesn't tend to register in one's mind like that. I'm sure we'll also get a revised edition that makes the transition all the smoother.

I've come to really appreciate this framing device, recently. When you watch the final scene of The Battle of the Five Armies a second time you realize the reason Bilbo is staring at the Ring the way he does is that he just had his tantrum after not finding it (which we see in The Fellowship of the Ring). Nice non-linear touch!

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Oct 29 2018, 10:07am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 29 2018, 3:39pm

Post #23 of 40 (17089 views)
Shortcut
Not really [In reply to] Can't Post

They did a pretty good job making Elijah look the same as he did in Fellowship. But to be honest, I often skip that scene with Elijah in AUJ because it really doesn't add anything to the story. I get that it ties AUJ to FoTR, but I'd rather get to that "Good morning" scene.Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 29 2018, 3:43pm

Post #24 of 40 (17084 views)
Shortcut
Six-part marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really do too well, either. I fell asleep in the middle of FoTR, & ended up watching TTT and RoTK the next day.Blush But I'm sure I'll cover all six movies over Thanksgiving, giving myself 2 or 3 days to space them out! I'll save the Star Wars marathon for Christmas!Cool

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 29 2018, 3:55pm

Post #25 of 40 (17085 views)
Shortcut
You skip the scene with Frodo??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I love that scene: it gives you such a charming little snapshot, as it were, of a Frodo completely untouched by fear and hurt. I love the "Good Morning" scene too, of course, but I love Frodo even more.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.