The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I still love The Hobbit!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Oct 29 2018, 6:14pm

Post #26 of 40 (10844 views)
Shortcut
I haven’t seen the Frodo scene in its original context... [In reply to] Can't Post

...probably since 2012. Grinds the film to a complete halt.

Noria
Gondor

Nov 1 2018, 1:07pm

Post #27 of 40 (10631 views)
Shortcut
Opening scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow, I love that scene: it gives you such a charming little snapshot, as it were, of a Frodo completely untouched by fear and hurt. I love the "Good Morning" scene too, of course, but I love Frodo even more.

I agree with this. I enjoyed seeing Frodo again.

But more, I think that Frodo's presence was for the benefit of the members of the general audience who might or might not have read The Hobbit as a child and really liked the LotR movies but may not have remembered them that well. The prologue ensures that those people understand that they are not seeing the earlier adventures of Frodo but the story of Bilbo from long before Frodo was born. Of course all that's unnecessary for book fans bu we were a small percentage of the movie audience.

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 1 2018, 2:11pm

Post #28 of 40 (10621 views)
Shortcut
Oh, absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

That's Jackson's primary reason for the framing device: to ensure that everyone knows this is a prequel. Especially those who have seen The Lord of the Rings but haven't read either it, or The Hobbit.

That's perfectly valid: one of the main tenets of adaptation is to make the film work for people who have never - and will never - read the book.

I also think old Bilbo is also beneficial for completely new audiences: whenever you're introducting a world so unlike our own to a new audience, you want them to have a strong anchor, and what better anchor than the instantly-sympathetic old grandpa character? Its the same function of old Rose in Titanic.

I just think it should have been much, much shorter for the theatrical cut: basically after the bulk of the prologue, cut to that shot of Frodo going outside, and than Bilbo goes outside, Frodo hangs the "no admittance" sign and leaves, Bilbo sits down and flashback to the narrative of The Hobbit.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 1 2018, 2:12pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Nov 2 2018, 1:17am

Post #29 of 40 (10594 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.

Noria
Gondor

Nov 2 2018, 12:06pm

Post #30 of 40 (10543 views)
Shortcut
Agree to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the Bilbo and Frodo sequence in its entirety.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Nov 2 2018, 2:05pm

Post #31 of 40 (10539 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy watching the three minute sequence as a stand-alone piece on YouTube.

As a second prologue to AUJ, I find that, like a whiff of Smaug’s flame, it reduces the film’s pace to ash.

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 2 2018, 6:14pm

Post #32 of 40 (10458 views)
Shortcut
As do I [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like the Bilbo and Frodo sequence in its entirety.

I'm speaking strictly the theatrical cut. I think, because this film isn't only the first of this trilogy, but of the whole sextet, a concise theatrical presentation, meant to draw new audiences into the series, was all the more important. Once people are "hooked" they can go back for the extended cut.

My idea: abridge the framing device after the bulk of the prologue, add the battle of Azanulbizar to the prologue and abridge Trollshaws. Keep the extended cut (and the next films) as-is.

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 2 2018, 6:38pm

Post #33 of 40 (10455 views)
Shortcut
I did the math [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a reduction of 10-20 minutes. Doesn't sound like much, but it can make the film feel 40 minutes shorter.

It isn't possible strictly as a fan-edit, though. It requires several reaction shots and bits of dialogue that don't exist.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 2 2018, 6:42pm)

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 7 2018, 5:53am

Post #34 of 40 (10187 views)
Shortcut
I miss the days [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss the hype for AUJ and the other Hobbit movies.

Such a great and humble time.

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Nov 7 2018, 5:01pm

Post #35 of 40 (10133 views)
Shortcut
Despite the outcome, the build-up was epic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you. The anticipation for these movies was amazing. Granted, it may have been too epic and contributed overall to some people's disappointment, but it was a truly exciting time to be sure.

Waiting for any set photos, production videos, and then of course when trailers were released. I remember being disappointed even before TBOFA came out that once I saw it, I'd only have the extended edition to wait for, and then....what?! The illusive director's edition of LOTR with the deleted scenes finally released?!

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 10 2018, 5:16pm

Post #36 of 40 (9886 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

but he's so cute! and it's so nice to see him before the ring gets to himHeart

"Forever and ever my brother,
hail and farewell" - Will Herondale

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 26 2018, 12:22am

Post #37 of 40 (6636 views)
Shortcut
Agree, except I'm not sure humble is the right word [In reply to] Can't Post

I still suffer flashbacks from some of the more passionate discussions.

I'm sure if the series is good then that electricity will return. We're just catching our breaths for the time being. Laugh

Time sure flies though, doesn't it?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Nov 26 2018, 12:25am)

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Dec 4 2018, 7:59pm

Post #38 of 40 (6019 views)
Shortcut
I still do too [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved them every since they were released. Are they perfect? no, but I don't think they were suppose to be. You want perfection? then there's the LOTR trilogy!

And that's what always have been bother me since 2012... Audience pretending The Hobbit movies to be equal or maybe even better than LOTR! They are not nor should ever be! The Hobbit trilogy must felt less of every great thing in LOTR, because chronologically it should increase the experience. The more you approach to the end, the better it gets; scale, urgency, stakes, epicness, score, emotions, drama, realism. That's why I still love them as they are.

The only thing still bothers me is not having the option to see a "Martin Freeman in Prologue" version of FOTR, that and the fact that when Bilbo shows his book to Frodo in Rivendell, the illustrations doesn't fit with the ones seen in The Hobbit.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Ilmatar
Rohan

Dec 26 2018, 9:54pm

Post #39 of 40 (5270 views)
Shortcut
I love it too [In reply to] Can't Post

- and knowing myself I will probably never stop. For me, these movies are simply too good not to love. Like many of us, I also have a few little things in mind I would change or leave out, but on the whole they remain some of my favorite movies of all time.

It may also be partly because I never "overdosed" on them. Even at the height of the Hobbit fever, when the movies were just coming out one by one and there were new enthusiastic threads posted here every day *wistful sigh* - and considering that, to my regret, I properly "awoke" to being a fan of the films & found the board only after BO5A had come to theaters *another wistful sigh* - despite all that I never watched them nearly as many times as many other fans did. (Judging by the impression I got when reading posts here & elsewhere, that is.) Of course I did watch them and bought the EEs, but I spent more time reading the board, posting a bit, looking at official movie art and fan art, reading (Tolkien's books and others), reading some fan fiction here and there, etc. Then I started posting about my country's mythology in Off Topic, and had other stuff to do, and in the end had no time to watch the films as much as I would have liked... The films remain "fresh" for me in the sense that I cannot cite (nor would I want to) most of the dialogue like some can, I have not noticed every single detail of every frame, and there are even some Appendices I STILL have not watched! ShockedTongue (And one or two that I maybe never will, for wanting to maintain a little bit of mystery for some scenes.) But then I never overdosed on the LotR trilogy either, much as I love that too. There's just too much to do, too little time, so I prefer to watch my favorites less often but with full concentration, without interruptions, making it "a special movie night" every time. Letting the films transport me to Middle-earth, letting myself get immersed in their beauty and magic.

So, yeah. I still love The Hobbit. HeartHeartHeart

DigificWriter
Lorien

Feb 7 2019, 3:54pm

Post #40 of 40 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Gotta rejoin the community [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta rejoin the community as a whole and join in this Hobbit love-fest.

I'm most likely in a minority, but I hold both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogies in equal standing in terms of quality and my fandom, loving both equally and being able to appreciate them for what they are without comparing/contrasting them either against their source material or each other.

I'm also likely one of the few people who lists Battle of the Five Armies as their favorite film in the Hobbit trilogy, but I'm okay with that. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.