Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 21, 3:49am

Post #26 of 41 (636 views)
Shortcut
Some OJ, please! While I sit down by the light to read... [In reply to] Can't Post

I came home this evening with two new books added to my collection: John Howe's "A Middle-earth Traveler" and Ian Nathan's "Anything You Can Imagine: Peter Jackson and the Making of Middle-earth".

I won't lie. The latter book has my heart pounding a bit. I've sampled some bits, and it seems everything I hoped it would be. The notion of getting to once again journey through the making of The Lord of the Rings, in this different manner, gives me goosebumps and makes me incredibly emotional. I'm almost nervous to open the first page, lest I burst into tears of joy.

Stepping into the past is a potent thing, all the moreso when that past concerns one of the seminal experiences of your youth.

In other news, I'm getting more hours in at my work, so I'm thankfully making more money, which is taking some of the pressure I've been feeling for a while off. Smile

It will also allow me to save up and be in a better position for the big change coming, which I told you guys about a couple months ago (hint: L.A.! Tongue). I really don't think my parents want me to go. I get the impression they think I'll be overwhelmed. Which isn't to say that they might not be right. But so be it. *deep breath*

Also, I've been trying to lose some weight the past couple months to get back to the nice slim version of myself that I seem to remember. Wink Lost 21 lbs so far! And my pants and shorts are fitting comfortably again. I think that's a good sign. Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 21, 3:50am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21, 1:10pm

Post #27 of 41 (579 views)
Shortcut
I really hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that some smart entrepreneur opens a new grocery store in that spot. You know there are a buhzillion other people in the area that feel that loss.

*high five on 2 pies & whipped cream* I completely agree! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21, 1:21pm

Post #28 of 41 (582 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Ahhh... the books.... [In reply to] Can't Post

YOU gave me goosebumps describing how you feel about reading Jackson's book. I just got both of those, too... and I've been waiting to get into them until I can have a long, quiet night with no distractions precisely because of what you've just expressed. It's an incredible level of anticipation and excitement... and tearful... just anticipating the chance to go back. I've never had that feeling about anything before... except when I got to return to NZ. Soul-filling.

I'm so glad your plans are moving forward. Getting into shape is huge! I keep losing and gaining the same 6 pounds... and it's not easy to keep at it. I'm so proud of you! Your parents will be fine, especially since they know how serious you are about following this dream. More like fate. You know you belong there and that this is something you have to do, no matter what comes of it. Staying true to yourself will always result in good things happening :)

Hang in there! And now I know if MUST unplug from the world for some quality time with Peter :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 21, 4:28pm

Post #29 of 41 (566 views)
Shortcut
I love Costco [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to set foot into a Walmart (their stuff is junk, they treat their staff badly, and they force their source companies to cut way too many corners so they can offer things on the cheap), but Costco has principles. And their stuff is the real deal. I'm trying to get my brother, who works at Home Depot for pennies, to apply to Costco. I think his salary would nearly triple! But he fears change.

But the massive amounts can be a problem. My father is forgetful, and he worries a lot about running out of things, so . . . right now in the basement we have THREE of the 12-packs of tissues plus enough toilet paper and paper towels to last us for a year.

The other problem, of course, is impulse buying. Did you see the "Modern Family" where Mitchell, who has been a huge snob about where he will shop, discovers Costco and goes off on a huge buying spree? Too true!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 21, 4:32pm

Post #30 of 41 (568 views)
Shortcut
stepping into the past again [In reply to] Can't Post

My niece literally grew up with Harry Potter. She was the age Harry was when the first book came out, and each subsequent book pretty much. Recently she went to see "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" and told me that she burst into tears when Harry walked on stage, because "I have missed him so much!"

We who read The Hobbit and LOTR as kids completely get it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 21, 4:49pm

Post #31 of 41 (570 views)
Shortcut
two days late [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday was the last day of three days up in Elberbeth country: Victoria, British Columbia. As one does, we walked for miles every day to various sites and sights. One day we took a car out west to Sooke, where I honeymooned, and found a couple of treasures. The first was Sooke Potholes Regional Park, where one can walk along a series of small cascades featuring lots of interesting rock formations. At Skipping Rock beach, we spent at least an hour skipping rocks where the river pools. I set a personal best of 7 skips, while my brother managed to get at least twice that and often got his rock all the way to the other shore. It's a hypnotic game, and a very satisfying one. Sis-in-law was happy just to sit in the autumn sun and listen to the burbles and the breeze in the trees.

Then we were hungry. We serendipitously found the astounding Shirley Delicious Cafe, 5 miles west of Sooke: a tiny chalet by the side of the road with amazingly tasty food and a surprising variety of options. My veggie hash had a bit of a kick to it from some judicious use of a "hot" ingredient I couldn't identify, as did my brother's upscale variation on a ham-and-cheese sandwich. They offered several gluten-free desserts and my white chocolate/raspberry cheesecake with a chocolate ganache topping had only just enough sweetener to make it delicious but not cloying. Bro, who is diabetic, got the Energy Bite - no "bite," it was a solid dome of raw ground nuts, coconut, berries, and more of the ganache. Nuts do a lovely job of preventing insulin spikes and they told us that they'd actually had people test their insulin levels before and after eating a "bite" and their levels stayed even. So we bought three more to take back for the next day.

I also bought a painting that was hanging above our table, a beautiful raven done with dots that evoked both the local Native American art style and that of Australian aborigines. Turned out the artist is a transplant to BC from Australia.

Then we stopped by the Sooke Harbour House, where my wasband and I had enjoyed a lovely dinner, after which we wandered down the hill to Quimper Park (Spanish Manuel Quimper was the first European to explore this part of the world) and strolled out the mile-long Whiffen Spit, which curves this way and that and forms the protective jetty of Sooke Harbor. Out at the end we watched sea lions hunting salmon in the tide rip, while the smaller harbor seals waited farther in along the bay. Quite the gauntlet for spawning salmon to run! (We have a problem here with the orcas not getting enough salmon to eat . . . one kind of wishes they would eat more sea lions, which would balance things out a bit.)

All in all a beautiful day, and if anyone visits Victoria, I highly recommend making the same tour.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 21, 4:51pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 21, 5:02pm

Post #32 of 41 (560 views)
Shortcut
so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to understand when the person is young still, isn't it? Plus the suddenness, the unexpected loss . . . of course you're still struggling to comprehend it. Take care.

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21, 10:32pm

Post #33 of 41 (540 views)
Shortcut
7 skips! Awesome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you were looking forward to this trip... and I'm SO HAPPY you weren't disappointed :D How cool was it that your brother could enjoy the meal and goodies. My sister has massive dietary allergies, so we're always delighted to find something she can enjoy.

That painting must have captured your imagination as soon as you saw it. I'm so glad you got it! That would have been one of those things you would have always regretted passing by. What a perfect time of year for such an adventure :D

Wasband? Wasband :D I like that! I get along real well with mine, and that certainly fits better than my-ex.

Thanks for this... So very cool!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 1:46am

Post #34 of 41 (524 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

on the weight loss and increased job hours! Oh, and those books, also...Angelic

So have you read the first page yet? Or, as a certain author once wrote, it's a dangerous business, opening your book...Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 1:51am

Post #35 of 41 (524 views)
Shortcut
Wow, what a pleasant trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds so fun and restful! And that painting is fascinating, it must have "spoken" to you. Cool

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 22, 2:39am

Post #36 of 41 (521 views)
Shortcut
Hehe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So have you read the first page yet? Or, as a certain author once wrote, it's a dangerous business, opening your book...Wink

Couldn't have put it better myself. Wink

I have looked at the first page. But it's almost as if I'm waiting for some perfect moment to start reading, lol. Cool I need to prepare myself for the flood of emotions that will ensue. Heart

I do dearly love the opening words of Andy's foreword:

"It feels like there was life before and life after."

That really sums up the entire Tolkien experience, doesn't it? I don't think I could imagine better words with which to open this book.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 22, 2:40am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 2:14pm

Post #37 of 41 (468 views)
Shortcut
I wish I had the space [In reply to] Can't Post

to store some of the big items - especially the paper goods like paper towels, etc. But alas.
I also like to shop at Costco because they treat their employees well, and their quality his high. They make their own pies in the store, and here in Illinois they use pumpkins from local farms.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 22, 4:00pm

Post #38 of 41 (465 views)
Shortcut
yes it did [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the third time I have bought a piece of art off the walls of a cafe! I do so only after not being able to drag my eyes away from it for the entire time I'm in the cafe. Twice, the artist was actually IN the room when I went up to the counter and said "I want to buy that!" This time she wasn't, but after looking at her website today I realized that I have come across her stuff online before and was instantly captivated and thought 'some day I'll buy one of hers."

Here's a link to her stuff. I got "Raven Bringing in the Light." The story of Raven stealing the Sun to bring light to the people is my favorite story from local native mythology.
https://www.elspethmclean.com/public-portfolio/

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 22, 4:02pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 4:22pm

Post #39 of 41 (456 views)
Shortcut
Those are stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the link, I've been going through her portfolio. I love how vibrant and textured her paintings are.

When my kids start asking what would I like for Christmas, I think I'm going to drop a hint...! Smile

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 22, 6:42pm

Post #40 of 41 (445 views)
Shortcut
is there a way to find the price? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Oct 22, 6:42pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 9:00pm

Post #41 of 41 (432 views)
Shortcut
On the website [In reply to] Can't Post

Select "Shop", then down to "Prints". A few are available there, for $35; clicking on one will give you its details. If you go to "Original Paintings", well, those cost a bit more! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.