The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
TORn going to Los Angeles Comic Con next week

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 21 2018, 3:25am

Post #1 of 9 (20463 views)
Shortcut
TORn going to Los Angeles Comic Con next week Can't Post

The last big comic con of 2018 takes place in Los Angeles next weekend and TheOneRing.net will be there with not one, but two panels. Both panels take place on Sunday, October 28 in Room 306. The first will take place at 11am and is called "I am no Man: The Women of Middle-earth", and you guessed it, the panel will focus on some of the amazing, heroic women who inhabit the deeper legendarium created by Professor Tolkien. The second panel will be at 2pm and is entitled "Dispatches from Middle-earth: New Tolkien projects on the Horizon" and will be a comprehensive update of both the Tolkien Biopic and the new Amazon Studios Lord of the Rings production.

Tickets are still on sale for the full weekend or each day individually, you can find details on their Website. Do note that on Sunday, October 28 the Rock and Roll Marathon will be going on along Figueroa and at LA Live in the morning, so plan accordingly for traffic and parking delays.

We can't wait to see you and have two panels to discuss all things Middle-earth, bring your questions and your costumes, this is going to be a fun weekend. And remember, LA Comic Con hosts a the largest indoor Trick or Treat on Sunday from Noon till 2pm, talk about a family friendly weekend.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 22 2018, 1:58pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2018, 1:37pm

Post #2 of 9 (20437 views)
Shortcut
I know that I won't be able to attend. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping for comprehensive con-reports for both panels! And for some real and exciting news about Amazon's Middle-earth series.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 22 2018, 12:00am

Post #3 of 9 (20433 views)
Shortcut
Dear spymaster, [In reply to] Can't Post

Will the TORn panels be on video to view later here for those of us unable to attend? Who will be on the panels?
Have fun,
Liss

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2018, 2:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (20377 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there will be video. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only Comic Con in San Diego seems to have video available. Not sure who will be on the panel, but hopefully some of the panel members will respond.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 23 2018, 9:25pm

Post #5 of 9 (20258 views)
Shortcut
If only I could be there… [In reply to] Can't Post

Both panels sound like they'll be really extraordinary, and a lot of fun. Is this gonna be big updates on Amazon's series? I've got my fingers crossed, of course.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 26 2018, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 9 (19900 views)
Shortcut
TORN: Who, what, where, when from the LA program [In reply to] Can't Post

EVENT DETAIL

I am no Man: The Women of Middle-earth
Monday, Oct 29
11:00 AM

Join TheOneRing.net staffers Kristi Fojtik (founder of Tolkien Forever), Nicole Roberts (public outreach coordinator for TORn), Nancy Steinman (graphic artist), and Cathy Udovch (TORn special events coordinator). At first glance, Lord of the Rings seems to be a 'Males only club', but then we meet Galadriel, one of the most powerful characters in Middle-earth, quickly followed by Eowyn, the human heroine that gave readers around the World one of their first real female role model characters. Once you look beyond the film adaptations you will find that Tolkien's deeper legendarium is full of strong, capable women that illustrate Tolkien's abiding respect for the female as an equal. We will take a deep dive into Middle-earth to discuss the wide array of female characters who give such depth to Tolkien's work.

Dispatches from Middle-earth: New Tolkien projects on the horizon
Monday, Oct 29
2:00 PM

Join TheOneRing.net staffers Clifford Broadway, Michael Urban, Kristi Fojtik, Justin Sewell, Nicole Roberts and Josh Rubinstein as we discuss new Tolkien projects coming this year. First we will update you on the Tolkien Biopic, starring Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins. Then we will dig into fact, fiction and rumors for the new Middle-earth stories coming from Amazon Studios. We will also update you on any other Tolkien related events or projects to look out for in 2019 and beyond, including the 20th Anniversary of TheOneRing.net.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 27 2018, 12:56am

Post #7 of 9 (19835 views)
Shortcut
Monday? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the convention only ran from Friday, October 26, to Sunday, October 28? Those are the dates given on the convention site. The OP stated that the panels were on the 28th.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 27 2018, 12:57am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 27 2018, 4:39am

Post #8 of 9 (19809 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, very strange. Thanks Otaku-sempai. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.comicconla.com/programming-schedule/

I went to the website, found Programming Schedule. The dates in the schedule are off and I did not notice, just copied and pasted.
At the top left of the page it does say Oct 26-Oct 28. Then I went to the scroll down list of topics, asked for them by name in alphabetical order, and both panels show up on Monday Oct 29. So bugs are running the program, obviously. Let's hope all our TORNfolk find their way to the correct time slot.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 29 2018, 5:54pm

Post #9 of 9 (19486 views)
Shortcut
Con Reports? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, who attended the panels and would care to report on them?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.