Rewatching
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Noria
Gondor

Oct 16 2018, 1:01pm

Post #1 of 106 (14833 views)
Shortcut
Rewatching Can't Post

I just finished rewatching the LotR trilogy after a gap of a few years caused by The Hobbit movies.

It was interesting to find that I still fell the same way I did about them last time I saw them. Overall I loved all three movies, was charmed, moved to tears, thrilled and satisfied. The same elements still irked and bothered me but didn't detract from my appreciation.

They are still, and I suspect always will be, my favourite movies.

Belegdir
Lorien

Oct 16 2018, 2:35pm

Post #2 of 106 (14615 views)
Shortcut
I watch them pretty much annually. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me they have a staying power beyond even the original Star Wars trilogy, which I haven't watched since about 1995.
Star Wars was fun, but LotR has a depth and breadth that keeps me captivated every time.

manofmordor
The Shire

Oct 18 2018, 2:12am

Post #3 of 106 (14467 views)
Shortcut
Rewatching too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Same! While its only been a few months since i first discovered lotr I rewatched them for the first time since seeing the hobbit movies and reading the first book and half of the second book. I find myself taking in a lot more and getting more out of it then i did the first time i watched it. To me the first and the second viewings almost seem like completely different films. Its bizaare yet exciting because i know the more i watch it the more i will enjoy it.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Oct 19 2018, 7:04pm

Post #4 of 106 (14287 views)
Shortcut
I also just rewatched the LOTR Trilogy after about five years. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it would be dated technologicly, and not as exciting as the The Hobbit movies, but I loved them all. They are beautifully made and I do think they will stand the test of time. I still can't get over Legolas jumping aboard a galloping horse and landing perfectly behind Gimli in TTT.

Please, call me Ve.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 20 2018, 6:09pm

Post #5 of 106 (14245 views)
Shortcut
I rewatched both trilogies in September [In reply to] Can't Post

And they were awesome. I don't even laugh at the CGI on Treebeard, which is very outdated. I just can't. I was moved to tears by all three LotR movies, again (BoFA also makes me very sad, and I do cry at that one, but the other Hobbits don't get me as emotional). When Sam gives his speech at the end of TT, I was just weeping. I can't help it. I watched the credits of RotK too, for that beautiful song, and those final goodbyes to each of the characters. The greatest movies ever made, and they always will be.

Belegdir
Lorien

Oct 20 2018, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 106 (14238 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with the Treebeard CGI? [In reply to] Can't Post

I realise I have to wear glasses to see and to read, but I've never noticed any problems with Treebeard.

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 20 2018, 7:29pm

Post #7 of 106 (14238 views)
Shortcut
I've started my rewatch today [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course watching the entire sextet.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 20 2018, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 106 (14223 views)
Shortcut
Agree, for me they are the most satisfying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I enjoy all of the appendices, for both LOTR and The Hobbit as much as the films themselves.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 20 2018, 8:50pm

Post #9 of 106 (14223 views)
Shortcut
The appendices are very fun to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I still haven't watched all the Hobbit behind-the-scenes stuff, as a matter of fact. I need to go do that…

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2018, 11:11pm

Post #10 of 106 (14210 views)
Shortcut
While it’s rare these days for me to re-watch the films in their entirety... [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ll admit, I’m still watching bits and pieces from LotR quite often, whether that means watching some clips on YouTube or popping in the Blu-rays and picking out select scenes to watch.

...and I am constantly listening to Howard Shore’s scores.

My family’s protestations notwithstanding, I am still as in love with these films as I was the first time I saw them.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 20 2018, 11:24pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 21 2018, 2:21pm

Post #11 of 106 (14097 views)
Shortcut
The score! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I'm always listening to that; I own the whole score. My favorite bits, aside from the incredible songs, is The Breaking of the Fellowship, and most of The Grey Havens. Though the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack is pretty good.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Noria
Gondor

Oct 24 2018, 1:52pm

Post #12 of 106 (13796 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think I enjoy all of the appendices, for both LOTR and The Hobbit as much as the films themselves.

I enjoy the appendices almost as much and no rewatch is complete until I've listened to the director's commentary and watched the appendices. Though though nothing can match the movies themselves.

Noria
Gondor

Oct 24 2018, 1:55pm

Post #13 of 106 (13797 views)
Shortcut
The score [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the music and still listen to the scores of both trilogies more often than I watch the movies, especially the Complete Recordings of LotR..

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Oct 26 2018, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 106 (13606 views)
Shortcut
LoTR Score and Appendices. [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit to being stuck on The Fellowship and The Hobbit AUJ soundtracks, they are just incredible! The LoTR and TH soundtracks will go down history as the biggest selling, most popular movie soundtracks of all time. For good reason. I need to listen to the other four soundtracks again, as well as watch the LoTR appendices again. The only one I remember clearly is the one about the horses used in the movies and the people who rode them.

Please, call me Ve.

Aredhel73

Oct 31 2018, 5:18am

Post #15 of 106 (13376 views)
Shortcut
Seen it like over 10 times now. lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought it would be dated technologicly, and not as exciting as the The Hobbit movies, but I loved them all. They are beautifully made and I do think they will stand the test of time. I still can't get over Legolas jumping aboard a galloping horse and landing perfectly behind Gimli in TTT.

To me, the Hobbit movies always looked "fake". Especially the 2nd movie, but even more so the 3rd.

I just re-watched the "An Unexpected Journey" a couple of days ago. That one, I don't mind tbh. But I don't like the rest tbh.

LOTR has aged very well, and I think it will continue to do so.
It's a great trilogy indeed. Heart

Dipling
Lorien

Nov 1 2018, 10:36pm

Post #16 of 106 (13297 views)
Shortcut
Same for me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To me, the Hobbit movies always looked "fake". Especially the 2nd movie, but even more so the 3rd.
Heart

2 and 3 have a "glow" in every scene. That why it looks "fake". But i still like DOS very much. Bofa is not bad, but it lacks heart and character moments with weight. But that could be solved in unicorne edition with scenes that were cut out.

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 1 2018, 11:17pm

Post #17 of 106 (13297 views)
Shortcut
First day here [In reply to] Can't Post

First post here. I'm a bit of a low tech guy so I hope I get this right. I didn't see any "introduce yourself" threads or would have started there. I just started watching the 6 movies again even though I've seen them many times. Once I figure out how to navigate this place I hope to meet new friends and share my love of LOTR. Thanks to the folks who make this webite possible.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Nov 2 2018, 5:53am

Post #18 of 106 (13265 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to board, now originals or extendeds for rewatching? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello cygnus, hope you like it here. curious about whether you and others like re watching the OG theatrical releases or the extendeds. really think the extendeds start to move ahead in my re watching cause of the wealth of new material, and what they added to pre existing scenes. but the originals still great cause they are what made the impression on you in the first place. food for thought.
The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
((from the scroll rooms of Gondor, stacks of LOTR and Hobbit dvd/blue ray piled to the ceiling))

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 3 2018, 3:48am

Post #19 of 106 (13107 views)
Shortcut
Nice to meet you [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your response. Hopefully you are the first of many friends I make. I'm pretty sure I don't have any extended versions. They don't say that anywhere and I just bought the cheapest ones. I'm planning on watching all six in the next couple weeks. I'm off work until at least mid December from getting tendon surgery on my foot. I just finished Unexpected Journey. Thanks again.

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 3 2018, 10:53am

Post #20 of 106 (13070 views)
Shortcut
If they're not the extended versions, I should recommend you get them [In reply to] Can't Post

The extended versions are the superior cut of the film (outside of the theater).

They are all the more important for a sequential viewing, because each extended edition came out as the edit for the next film was taking shape, so the filmmakers could reshape the film to flow with the next film. Occasionaly, they even revised or retconned elements.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2018, 6:10pm

Post #21 of 106 (13053 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, Cygnus! Don't worry about being "low tech", a lot of members here are. Smile There's actually an introduction thread over on the Off-Topic board, http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum_view_collapsed; But it looks like you've already made a great introduction!

Here's a link to the FAQs on the Welcome Board, http://newboards.theonering.net/.../gforum.cgi?post=50;. That Board is always a good place to start! And of course if you have any questions, you can post them on Feedback, or PM one of us Admins.

And none of us would be here without our four Founders. April 26th is this website's Founders' Day, when it went active, in fact we'll be having our 20th anniversary next year! And if you're familiar with the Valaquenta from the Silmarillion, here's the story of the beginning of this website, written by Alassea Eruvandi and scribed by none other than Daniel Reeve: http://www.theonering.net/...ders-day-valaquenta/.

Whew, that's enough! Laugh So how many times have you seen all 6 movies? And like the others have said, I highly recommend the extended editions - do check to see if those are what you have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 5 2018, 2:21am

Post #22 of 106 (12688 views)
Shortcut
Rewatched FOTR; those silly falling leaves in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

I've rewatched the LOTR movies probably 5-6 times by now, and that's not counting replaying favorite scenes here and there.

It was only this time (watching it on Netflix) that I noticed in Rivendell, in almost every scene there are falling leaves behind the characters. So if it took this many times for me to notice, it's probably not a bad thing, but then I rewound, and they stood out like a sore thumb, and I had trouble *not* picturing PJ himself on a ladder with a bag of leaves, shaking them in every scene, which made it a little humorous. Didn't Rivendell *ever* run out of leaves to fall, or was that some kind of magic, that they fell 365 days a year?

The music remains incredibly majestic and magically woven with the scenery as well as the emotions you feel in each part of the movie--it's beyond brilliant. And favorite scenes remain favorites. I especially appreciated the simplicity of the filming of the flood of the Ford of Bruinen that Arwen calls up against the Black Riders--the way it starts with water rising around regular rocks. The CGI part, well, looks pretty CGI-ish, but to ground the scene in the beginning with something real makes the fake part more palatable.

For some reason, it's still sad when Gandalf dies, or maybe it's the grief of the hobbits that is uncannily contagious.

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 5 2018, 9:58pm

Post #23 of 106 (12570 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks dernwyn, I appreciate the welcome and guidance. I posted an introduction and am excited to look around. This is a pretty big place and a lot of work and love has gone into it. I'm excited to begin my journey on the forums.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 5 2018, 11:51pm

Post #24 of 106 (12557 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Cygnus. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got one quick tip for you: when you take part in a discussion, be sure to click on Reply to This Post on the message you're replying to - not the last post in the discussion thread. That helps those who read these discussions in threaded mode to see who has replied to whom and follow sub-threads easily. (To see what I mean, scroll to the bottom or top of the page and click on View Threaded.)

If you've got any questions about how the discussion boards work, feel free to ask on the Feedback board - someone will be along pretty quickly to help you out. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 5 2018, 11:52pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2018, 3:53am

Post #25 of 106 (12528 views)
Shortcut
The passing of the elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never quite considered before that it might be too many leaves falling Tongue, but even so, it's artistic licence on PJ's part. It signifies the time of the elves coming to an end. I always found it a wondrously beautiful aspect of the Rivendell scenes.

Though that image you conjure up of PJ is hilarious. Laugh

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.