Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Any fellow archivists of LotR online material?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2018, 10:45pm

Post #1 of 9 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Any fellow archivists of LotR online material? Can't Post

I need some help, guys. I'm making an effort to start saving up more and more online material from the LotR era. The Wayback Machine is helping with this, but I'm missing some stuff.

Do any of you still have the original "Large" quicktime versions of the first Internet Preview, the LotR "Trilogy" teaser, and/or the final Theatrical Trailer for The Two Towers?

Thanks for any help.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 19 2018, 10:46pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2018, 8:43am

Post #2 of 9 (4140 views)
Shortcut
I do have a lot of this stuff archived [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it’s been a while since I looked at it all, so I don’t know if I have all the hi-res versions of the videos you’re looking for.

The other person I can think of who might have this stuff is Magpie.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2018, 2:11pm

Post #3 of 9 (4127 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it’s certainly not hi-res by today’s standards. Tongue

If you get a chance to look, the large resolution files were “480” in width. (Though some of the trailers had a "Fullscreen" version available, which were "640").

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 20 2018, 2:17pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2018, 1:48am

Post #4 of 9 (3997 views)
Shortcut
Hehe yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember that when I watched them a couple years back they looked rather tiny.

Also, I think they were available in QuickTime format. I’ll have to check, but it will be a couple months until I get home and can do so Unimpressed

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 27 2018, 3:33pm

Post #5 of 9 (3969 views)
Shortcut
A little more info? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Aragorn - not sure what you mean, do you mean files of our own that we saved, or online links?

e.g., there's this one of the trilogy on YouTube:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=quicktime+lotr+trilogy+teaser&qpvt=quicktime+lotr+trilogy+teaser&view=detail&mid=2BD9B2304D8B7E27BB372BD9B2304D8B7E27BB37&&FORM=VRDGAR

Which says it in HD, but do you mean something else?

Let me know and I'll try to look around also.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2018, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 9 (3962 views)
Shortcut
The original Quicktime files... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I know many trailers can be found on YouTube. But I'm looking for the original Quicktime files from back in the day. I was able to use The Wayback Machine to grab some of the trailers from older versions of the official website, but some of the links were still broken. So I'm still missing the ones I mentioned.

I'm hoping someone still has those files saved on their computer.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 27 2018, 11:16pm

Post #7 of 9 (3935 views)
Shortcut
I hope this helps [In reply to] Can't Post

You mentioned using Wayback Machine to find some of them, I'm not sure which URLs you used to find them. However I found several pages on WM by first going to one of Council of Elrond's pages where they have their (old) movie info. Clicking on the links there (which of course were broken because they are so old), I then took those URLs and entered them into WM and clicking on "Browse History", using the 2002 dates, I found several pages of links, which let me download the quicktime files.

This is the Council of Elrond page:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/downloadcats/movie-trailers-interviews-and-previews/

If you click on the trailer links, then enter the URLs into WB, you get several pages. For instance, one of the resulting URLs led to this WM Page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031209154938/https://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=lordoftheringstrilogy

There are many trailers and previews here from all three films, and they're in Quicktime file format. I'm not sure if you have these already or some might be the ones you're missing.

Another one with just TTT trailers:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021212185936/https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/

For instance, using this method, I downloaded the theatrical TTT trailer in 480, but I'm not sure if it's the "final" one you mentioned. I tried to attach it to this post, but it's too large.

I hope this helps. Either post here or feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

It sure is fun watching them again :).

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2018, 1:10am

Post #8 of 9 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Following that Two Towers link, I was able to download the 320 (or 'Medium') version, but the 480 ('Large') link didn't work for me.

If you were able to download that one, would you mind emailing it to me?

Either way, thank you very much for your help. Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 28 2018, 10:37am

Post #9 of 9 (3874 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will PM you with the details!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.