First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Chen G.
Gondor

Nov 19 2018, 4:39pm

Post #26 of 28 (3203 views)
Shortcut
It is an anachronism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe somebody else can remind me how old the game of gold really is (I think it's pretty old) and whether it's an anachronism like the sound of an "express train" that Bilbo's dragon firework makes in LotR?

Its not particularly old: it dates back to the eighteenth century. But I'm fine with some anachronisms because The Shire is kind of anachronistic to the rest of Middle Earth: its very much an English village from early modern times.

I've always said that The Lord of the Rings is a travel through time: we begin at a place set in times not too removed to our own (The Shire), but as we set off we get to the late Middle Ages (Bree), Dark Ages (Rohan), Classic antinquity (Gondor) and even glimpses of prehistory (the Druedain).

An early version of the golf gag also included a reference to the invention of chess. But it was much too cerebral to fit in a children's book: Chess being derived from the persian name "Shah Maht" (the king is dead). Also, in that version, Golfimbul is Fingolfin, if you can believe it.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Nov 19 2018, 4:39pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 19 2018, 4:51pm

Post #27 of 28 (3199 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, chess would have made more sense, perhaps, but I love the name King Golfimbul. I'm surprised they didn't use him as the Goblin-King in the movie, actually, and have Bilbo avenge Bullroarer Took - who actually was killled by said Golfimbul - by cutting off his head with Sting and sending it flying down through the caverns. Would have been stereo-typically Peter Jacksonish.(Just kidding: I love PJ!)

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Cygnus
Lorien

Nov 19 2018, 5:24pm

Post #28 of 28 (3189 views)
Shortcut
Age of golf [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't really bother me that much but it always make my brain temporarily blink to a modern golf course with modern players. Anything that distracts me from the fantasy isn't something I welcome. I really can't think of any other scene in all 6 movies that cause my silly brain to blink.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.