Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Documents reveal downfall of Peter Jackson-backed movie museum in Wellington

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 7, 4:48am

Post #1 of 8 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Documents reveal downfall of Peter Jackson-backed movie museum in Wellington Can't Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...museum-in-wellington

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9, 11:51am

Post #2 of 8 (1256 views)
Shortcut
The challenges of a Quest [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminds me of the doom and gloom around the arguments about filming The Hobbit. For years, there were legal and production release problems (sparking a massive fan petition). It was finally green-lit for production when worries surfaced about who will direct it, where would it be filmed, problems with strikes, etc. So many times it seemed doomed. But I'm a firm believer that if Peter Jackson wants to make something happen, it will.

I predict this isn't over yet. He has so many treasures he wants to share (King Kong, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, LotR/Hobbit prop and costume exhibit, etc.), and the only way to do it is in a Museum... somewhere in Wellington. Treasures that shouldn't be locked away.

I predict this isn't over. He's just hit yet another speed bump on one of his dreams/goals. Trust Peter! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 9, 11:53am)

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Oct 9, 10:44pm

Post #3 of 8 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Is this going to be a general kiwi film museum or just a PJ one? [In reply to] Can't Post

It does seem a bit strange to me to have an entire museum on one set of films! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 10, 2:39am

Post #4 of 8 (1200 views)
Shortcut
I've been collecting the articles [In reply to] Can't Post

and still need to read through them (about 20 so far). The building will be a convention centre for Wellington that would house The Movie Museum Limited (TMML). Jackson would pay annual rent for using the space for the museum. There would also be permanent and temporary exhibition spaces, a retail shop, a café, and permanent offices. The letters between the Council and Jackson include his partners Fran Walsh, Richard Taylor, and Tania Rodger.

The articles say the museum would "feature Jackson's extensive collection of movie memorabilia". Jackson has a broad collection of non-Tolkien items. Original King Kong film items; the flying car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Jackson's other films. There is also his Great War exhibit. I wonder if other producers Jackson has collaborated with could have' film-related exhibits/items displayed... i.e. James Cameron and Steven Spielberg?

I know they have/had a wonderful LotR exhibit that toured around the world. I saw it, along with some sibbies, when it was in Indianapolis, Indiana. I've heard there are no plans for that exhibit to travel again; but to know it would be available for viewing in a Museum would be fantastic!

I'll read up on the articles and get back with any info I find... unless someone already has a good background on what's going on who can let us know :)

Anybody? Anybody? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 10, 2:40am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 10, 8:27am

Post #5 of 8 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Please read the latest articles. [In reply to] Can't Post

The proposal to house the movie museum in the convention centre is a dead duck.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 10, 11:30am

Post #6 of 8 (1155 views)
Shortcut
So sad... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even since this proposal didn't work out, I'm thinking Jackson's not done with his plan to have a museum of some kind. One of the articles (2009) has him contemplating putting it in with his production company complex / Park Road Post Production area.

I'll bet Jackson would be even more determined since this collaboration went south. It just made such good sense to have it right there near the Te Papa Museum.

Yeah, I don't think the movie museum is over. ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Oct 11, 6:04am

Post #7 of 8 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Today's update [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...e-awkward-bedfellows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11, 2:21pm

Post #8 of 8 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Maybe now [In reply to] Can't Post

things can cool down. It's understandable why this project has hit the wall; but who knows what will happen? Once both parties investigate alternatives, one of those wild alternatives could be a second look at what almost happened.

I still believe we'll have a Movie Museum a la Jackson someday. Having it within walking distance of other museums, Kitts Park/Oriental Walk, cable car to the Botanic Gardens, Cuba street and the Embassy Theatre would have been delicious! I might even be tempted to come back and check it out ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.