Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Rumor: Amazon's 'Lord of the Rings' series is expected to return to New Zealand
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 10:08pm

Post #26 of 39 (5148 views)
Shortcut
How much is too much? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While a Television show is on a different medium alltogether, and some inconsistencies are bound to present themselves, overall some sense of continuity - including in landscape - is to be desired.

Yes, but how much consistency do you expect to see throughout an entire continent (or two, including Harad)? Aragorn eventually journeys far into Rhn and deep enough into Far Harad to be able to see the southern constellations. I'm not sure how much of Aragorn's backstory we might get in the series, but it could conceivably cover this period.

Now, what I should have said earlier is that we should have a mixture of familiar lands and places and ones that are entirely new to the viewership--if still derived from or at least inspired by Tolkien and his writings.

In Reply To
As for Forochel

In Reply To
I can imagine Aragorn the Ranger getting up there at some point in his travels' Forochel isn't really that far from the Hills of Evendim. Cool

That would also require portraying Lossoth. I don't know why, but I've always thought of them as the Northern version of the Druedain.

Not me; I originally though of them as connected to the Inuit. However, the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that the Lossoth should be the forefathers of the Sami folk of Scandinavia.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 26, 10:14pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Sep 29, 11:15pm

Post #27 of 39 (4821 views)
Shortcut
Sooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

The SW series is already building sets and up and going - What's with the snails pace of this project..?

Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30, 12:48am

Post #28 of 39 (4813 views)
Shortcut
Don't ask me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am far from being an insider in the entertainment industry. But the show needs a staff and prep time before production can begin.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
The Shire

Oct 6, 7:37pm

Post #29 of 39 (3894 views)
Shortcut
I wonder why it's taking so long [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole thing is moving so slowly, I'm really getting frustrated waiting for any news.

Chen G.
Rivendell

Oct 6, 8:51pm

Post #30 of 39 (3881 views)
Shortcut
Its a huge undertaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is a much more antiquated world than, say, Games of Thrones' is; and its got a source material which - regarding the period they want to adapt - is not nearly as fully-drawn, calling for screenwriters to work overtime to craft an actual series.

Wainrider
Bree

Oct 17, 1:12am

Post #31 of 39 (1859 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh, how boring and predictable. They can't find any other places to portray as Middle earth?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17, 1:05pm

Post #32 of 39 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Unconfirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

So far this rumor has not been confirmed. Also, even if the production does film in New Zealand, there could be other locations as well.

Lindele
Gondor

Fri, 1:48pm

Post #33 of 39 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Ugh I know [In reply to] Can't Post

The locations on LOTR/The Hobbit were so ugly and predictable!

I really hope they get some good locations like the Marvel movies.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Fri, 2:11pm

Post #34 of 39 (1065 views)
Shortcut
The Nature of the Beast (well, Place) [In reply to] Can't Post

A location such as the Shire is supposed to be predictable (and I certainly didn't find it ugly). Other locations such as Mordor and the Desolation of Smaug were meant to be unpleasant. Granted, the depiction of Rohan was not entirely accurate to Tolkien's description; it was a bit too rocky where it ought to have been more of a grassy plain. But locations such as Beorn's house and its surroundings were quite picturesque.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
The Shire

Fri, 11:13pm

Post #35 of 39 (949 views)
Shortcut
Which Marvel movie are you referencing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Which of the Marvel movies features landscapes more breathtaking than those of New Zealand? Wakanda is quite beautiful, but it's mainly CGI, and I can't really think of another incredible location that's not a modern city in the MCU. Kamar-Taj perhaps, but that's also not an actual location, really. New Zealand is incredibly varied and unpredictable, in my opinion: Mount Ruapehu, for instance, is absolutely breathtaking, and Matamata is as essentially Hobbit-like as I think you can get.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sat, 3:40am

Post #36 of 39 (905 views)
Shortcut
It was obviously sarcasm [In reply to] Can't Post

How could anyone take that post seriously?

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
The Shire

Sat, 2:13pm

Post #37 of 39 (779 views)
Shortcut
Well, I could [In reply to] Can't Post

Because with hard-core purists who absolutely despise New Zealand and Peter Jackson, you never can tell. I've read complaints before from people who hated the locations, and wanted all of Middle-earth to be filmed in England.

Wainrider
Bree

Sat, 4:36pm

Post #38 of 39 (745 views)
Shortcut
location [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many places they could film it. My home state of Washington here in the US, Canada, Romania, Poland, Scananavia, etc.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
The Shire

Sat, 4:51pm

Post #39 of 39 (741 views)
Shortcut
Good choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Even where I live, in the north-east (of the US) I pass places that look Middle-earthy; we've got plenty of farmland around here, the quiet fields and little rivers that one would associate with the Shire. And Scandinavia is incredible.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.