Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Whither Tauriel?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Whither Tauriel?
Tauriel leaves the Woodland Realm to dwell in solitude.
She is forgiven by Thranduil and returns to Mirkwood.
She emigrates to some other Elven community (Rivendell, Mithlond, Lindon, etc.).
She forsakes Middle-earth to sail into the West.
In her grief Tauriel ends her own life.
Other (specify).
View Results (29 votes)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2018, 2:25pm

Post #1 of 32 (9879 views)
Shortcut
Whither Tauriel? Can't Post

So, following the Battle of Five Armies, what fate do you see for Tauriel? Perhaps she wanders with Legolas for a while and sets out on her own. Maybe she returns to the Woodland Realm only to fall to the arrows of the Orcs. She might journey to the East seeking out her Avari kindred. What do you think?

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2018, 2:38pm

Post #2 of 32 (9809 views)
Shortcut
She seeks out Kili's mom [In reply to] Can't Post

and after some initial personality conflicts the two become fast friends and vow vengeance upon all orcs. To the dismay of their respective kinfolk they scour the northern reaches and wreck havoc.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2018, 2:40pm

Post #3 of 32 (9807 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget to vote! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your input, but it doesn't mean much for the poll if you don't vote!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 6 2018, 2:42pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 6 2018, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 32 (9776 views)
Shortcut
Into the West… [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel seems to have been the type of Elf who would seek the ultimate comfort and solace in the Undying Lands. She passed over the Sea before the War of the Ring, alone and sorrowing, forsaking Middle-earth and its petty politics.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2018, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 32 (9767 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel the Eldar? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Tauriel did seem to identify with the Eldar which suggests that one or both of her parents might have been of the Nandor branch of the Teleri rather than East-elves. Alternately, she might have seen herself as Eldar as a result of being raised within the House of Thranduil.

Do we suppose that the Nandor were also subject to the sea-longing that affected Legolas?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 6 2018, 6:44pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 6 2018, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 32 (9762 views)
Shortcut
I always assumed… [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Nandor also felt the sea-longing. I thought it was universal to all Elves.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2018, 7:21pm

Post #7 of 32 (9758 views)
Shortcut
Elves and the Sea-longing [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not think that Avari (East-elves) would be subject to the sea-longing as they did not take part in the Great Journey. That said, the Nandor like the Sindar are Telerin Elves.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 7 2018, 2:19pm

Post #8 of 32 (9734 views)
Shortcut
That's my assumption too [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel warned Legolas that once he heard the sound of sea gulls, he would never be content to rest in the forest again, and he admits it's true after hearing them. I extrapolate from his experience that all Elves have latent sea-longing in their heart, and it awakens eventually. It also seems to be how Tolkien explains the disappearance of Elves from mortal lands in the grand scheme of history: they all go West eventually, except for a very few holdouts who seem to fade away.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 8 2018, 12:44pm

Post #9 of 32 (9652 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was Teleri (Sinda) [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas was of the Sindar Elves; that is why he was subject to the sea-longing. If he had been a Wood-elf of Avari descent he probably would have been fine.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 8 2018, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 32 (9638 views)
Shortcut
she becomes a wasp [In reply to] Can't Post

goading orcs with nasty stings they don't see coming.

Fereth
Rivendell

Oct 9 2018, 1:27am

Post #11 of 32 (9623 views)
Shortcut
I like to think [In reply to] Can't Post

a combination of the first three options, definitely traveling with Legolas before setting out on her own to aide people in need. Just going home to Mirkwood after the Battle of Five Armies would go against her whole "saving the world" outlook on life, even if she is grieving for Kili.

No dying, though, she goes back to Mirkwood after the War of the Ring and she spends the rest of her days getting into endless political arguments with Thranduil.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9 2018, 4:30am

Post #12 of 32 (9602 views)
Shortcut
I should add... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Elves who remained in Middle-earth and never sailed to Valinor were supposed to have eventually diminished and faded as magic faded from the world--not dying but perhaps becoming as spirits. Such Elves would have included all of the Avari (East-elves), perhaps many of the Nandor and any others who chose to remain in Middle-earth.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 9 2018, 3:17pm

Post #13 of 32 (9565 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

She goes with Legolas to seek out the Rangers, then ends up in Rivendell where she becomes one of Arwen's "women" - really, part of her personal guard, so she travels to Minas Tirith for the wedding, then returns to Rivendell with Elrond. After he goes over sea, she stays in Rivendell and eventually hooks up with Figwit - something about his accent reminds her of Kili...

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Oct 9 2018, 11:02pm

Post #14 of 32 (9525 views)
Shortcut
Great ending Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great version to end Tauriel's story. Smile

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 12 2018, 12:15pm

Post #15 of 32 (9439 views)
Shortcut
She becomes .... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the Woodland Realm's Erebor Liaison Officer. Because of her affection for Kili she is accepted there as many Elves would not have been, and accepts the Dwarves and their ways. She is in good standing with Bard as well, and becomes a key player in the good relations that exist between the three communities after the Battle of the Five Armies.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 15 2018, 9:39pm

Post #16 of 32 (9121 views)
Shortcut
What about East? [In reply to] Can't Post

As you know, I wrote a fanfic about her going East and spying for Gandalf. Someday I may revise it, but I've been busy writing original fiction that I'm self-pubbing (and not doing to well, but that's another story). But for your poll, I voted for another woodland realm. Lothlorien was close by, so why not? Some people argued against that idea because she wasn't in either the book or movie version of LoTR, but so what? She's not an original character anyway, and just because we didn't see her onscreen doesn't mean she wasn't there SOMEWHERE!

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 16 2018, 12:26am

Post #17 of 32 (9103 views)
Shortcut
That's a cool idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spying for Gandalf in the east; I love that! Tauriel was a great character, despite what some people think. But her potential was just wasted in a pathetic love triangle, or whatever it was that was going on with her, Legolas, and Kili. I don't think it was real, whatever Thranduil said. Or if it was, then it wasn't the triangle everybody thought it was; in reality, Legolas was jealous of Tauriel, and then decided to go off and find himself his own Dwarven boyfriend. Like, why is that so hard to explain to people??? (I'm not joking, either…)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2018, 3:08am

Post #18 of 32 (9079 views)
Shortcut
Lothlórien? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel journeying to Lothlórien is possible, though that would be to the South, not East. Supposedly the Elves of Lórien haven't had contact with their cousins in the Woodland Realm for many years, but we know that they sent agents such as Haldir out to keep track of events in the wider world.

If Tauriel did travel East, she might have found Avari Elves in the woods on the northern coast of the Sea of Rhûn, though she might have had to go farther in to the East, assuming the East-elves hadn't been scattered or destroyed by Sauron's followers.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 16 2018, 11:45pm

Post #19 of 32 (8968 views)
Shortcut
East, maybe… [In reply to] Can't Post

But not to Lothlorien, because of what Celeborn says, that the Galadhrim have had no contact with Thranduil's people for a very long time; it would have to be much longer than sixty years to be a relevant length of time to an Elf. But into the East, yes, that sounds possible. I could imagine her going to live out there, beyond the edge of the world. Maybe she became like a Ranger, and then for the Amazon series we could have her journey cross paths with Aragorn's in Harad or Rhun, somewhere (because who doesn't love Evangeline Lilly, and honestly, wouldn't we all want to see her come back as Tauriel?) Heart

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Oct 18 2018, 10:34am

Post #20 of 32 (8705 views)
Shortcut
Well, not quite "all". [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(because who doesn't love Evangeline Lilly, and honestly, wouldn't we all want to see her come back as Tauriel?) Heart

I think you're going to find some differences of opinion here. There are definitely numerous people like yourself that do enjoy having her character in the movies. But I have to respectfully disagree about the idea of "all" of us wanting to see the character return. Personally when I re-watch The Hobbit I prefer to skip the parts with her character. That's great that you enjoy her character, but the character doesn't appeal to me. I would much rather see them work to add in characters that were left out of the movies such as Tom Bombadil, Glorfindel, and at least mention the Rangers for who they really were (a group of dedicated, unselfish, skilled protectors who worked long and hard to protect the Shire etc. as mentioned in "The Passing of the Grey Company" in RoTK. As much as I loved the LOTR movies because they brought me to the book and author I now so dearly love, it made me cringe when the only mention of the Rangers I recall in LOTR was Elrond telling Aragorn something like he should "put aside the Ranger and become who you really are"). Judging by what I've read here the last couple years, I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't need to see her character again.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 18 2018, 4:17pm

Post #21 of 32 (8662 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just expressing my own opinion: I should have made that clear. I can perfectly understand not liking Tauriel, or even Evangeline Lilly. And I would love, love, love to see the Rangers in this new series, and I've already said that I want to see Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel onscreen for the first time.I should have worded that statement differently. Sorry! Blush

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Oct 19 2018, 6:18am

Post #22 of 32 (8554 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing to apologize for. [In reply to] Can't Post

We are a varied group with differing opinions and that's totally ok. I admire your enthusiasm. Smile

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Oct 19 2018, 7:30pm

Post #23 of 32 (8440 views)
Shortcut
I do like Tauriel's character in the movies but you make some good points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked more Ancient History included: speculation as to the origins of the Hobbits, the connection between Galadriel and Lord Elrond, Bullroar Took, how Oropher and his people came to settle in The Greenwood and how the Silvan elves were living at that time, what happened to all of the Elvish wives, etc. Not complaining tho, love the movies. Three additional movies could be made just on 1st and 2nd age history.

P.S., I did vote.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 19 2018, 11:05pm

Post #24 of 32 (8401 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little too enthusiastic, perhaps! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when it comes to Evangeline Lilly, who I love. Top 3 favorite actresses: Cate Blanchett, Gal Gadot, Evangeline Lilly.

Now technically, there was a reference to the Bullroarer in Unexpected Journey; and I think, I might be wrong, that PJ and his team weren't really allowed to use Unfinished Tales material in their movies, which is why Oropher and the fact that the Wood Elves originally settled Dol Guldur (somebody remind me what its ancient Elvish name was) doesn't show up in the movies. If the Oropher stuff had been in there, I would have been very happy. I love the history of the Wood Elves. As for where all the Elvish wives went, I don't quite understand: Thranduil's wife was killed by Gundabad orcs, and Elrond's wife went into the West, yes, but were there really any other Elven wives who had mysteriously disappeared in the movies? I can't remember any. I think there should have been much more history; hopefully we'll get all that from Amazon.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Oct 22 2018, 3:29am

Post #25 of 32 (7936 views)
Shortcut
It's good to be enthusiastic. [In reply to] Can't Post

My copy of the Silmarillion says Dol Guldur was also known as the 'Hill of Sorcery.' If there's also a version of that in Elvish, I'm not finding it in the resources I have.

That's an interesting question about the wives. At first I thought you mistakenly were referring to the entwives but then realized what you meant. There wasn't much mention of Elven wives other than those of Thranduil and Elrond. The other widely-talked about elves were unattached?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.