Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, and Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 3:58pm

Post #1 of 31 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, and Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello, everyone, and welcome to this week's Fiesta Friday celebration!
How has this beautiful Fall (or Spring) week been treating you? Any fun plans for the weekend? The weather is absolutely gorgeous here - perfect for getting outside and doing Fall-ish walks and errands.

Order up a Fall favorite drinkie, and help yourself to the buffet which is stocked today with crock-pot stews and chili, and sweet apple and peach pies.
*puts quarters on juke box* play us a good Autumn-y tune and have a wonderful weekend!
CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Valinor

Oct 5, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 31 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Perfect timing [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I nearly knocked over the barkeep on my way in this morning. Cool

Seems like LA is having a real Fall this year! It's been cool the past month, and some areas even got a little rain on Wednesday. Weird, I know...last year we had a 105 degree day in October. I'll take a hot chocolate in celebration, please!

Hoping for a low-key weekend full of naps and relaxation.

Have a great weekend, all!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 4:09pm

Post #3 of 31 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Sounds wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool days... naps and relaxation. What more could one ask for from a weekend? Laugh
*pours steaming hot chocolate into large mug*

Enjoy low-keying it!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5, 4:43pm

Post #4 of 31 (1162 views)
Shortcut
*runs in* May I have fresh apple cider? [In reply to] Can't Post

In my to-go mug...workshops today, just taking a quick break for lunch.

Looks to be a good weekend for opening the windows wide and doing some fresh-air cleaning! And taking a stroll in the woods.

I've put a leaf-wreath on the front door. Have you put up any Halloween decorations yet, Altaira?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 31 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Pumpkins on the porch [In reply to] Can't Post

An arrangement of a few various-sized pumpkins on the porch is all so far. Sounds like you're busy-busy today, but have a nice productive weekend planned. Isn't it great to open the windows when all the good fall smells are in the air!?
Enjoy! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5, 8:35pm

Post #6 of 31 (1153 views)
Shortcut
mmmm... stew sounds great :D [In reply to] Can't Post

We're nearly at full FALL mode here in Michigan. The trees are lighting up with colour and the temps are taking a dive. The GOOD thing is the mosquitoes do not like cooler weather! :D *happy dance* I'm still working on outside projects, so no mosquitoes is a treat!

Now I'm digging a cistern and 40 ft trench from the house to said cistern. The hole I just finished is 4 ft deep and about 3 ft wide to hold a 50 gallon plastic drum and I'm burying 40 ft+ of 3" pvc pipe from corner of my house where the sump pump is located. This will put gravity to work carrying the water from my sump well to the cistern/barrel during heavy rains... or mid-winter thaws. This should solve my flooding basement problem. IT BETTER!

I'm really getting tired of digging holes in my yard ;) But it's great exercise! And those mosquitoes did need feeding... right?

So a bowl of stew and some warm cafe vienna would really hit the spot!

I'm so glad you're enjoying some wonderful weather and equally wonderful walks. This is the greatest time of the year, imho ;)

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira! Have a great weekend All!

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 31 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous spring weather here! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sight greeted me when I went out on my run yesterday. Crisp and cool, with tendrils of mist. Just lovely. And this is from our front yard: flowering cherries with native forest in the background.

In a spring-cleaning spirit, we made a pass through the larder looking for things too old to be allowed shelf space. I did one not all that long ago, but I must have missed a few, as I found some things there that I think are older than some TORn members! (In my slight defence, we do have quite a large larder - it's an entire room). The compost heap scored some exotic ingredients out of that exercise.

It's been quite a good week. A solid amount of writing done, the garden's looking good, and we're eating our own beans and asparagus (and loquats from the orchard). My seedlings are coming along nicely. Sourdough is rising, and about to go in the oven. Hoping for another productive week ahead!

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 9:01pm

Post #8 of 31 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful sights. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing ground-hogging mist or low clouds in valleys below. Just gorgeous.

I'm about to put out a couple of plants but first I have to de-bug them - the garden centre wasn't quite onto their pest maintenance, evidently. Unimpressed

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 9:05pm

Post #9 of 31 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Something numbing, thank'ee barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my first acupuncture yesterday for this stubborn hip of mine, in an effort to nudge the healing process along - and it HURT. A lot. I can only compare it to the worst of the pain I had with endometriosis. And joy of joys, I've got another session tomorrow morning. This had better be worth it.

On the up-side, the day is sunny and has some warmth to it. :) (Or at least it will when the sun rises a bit higher.) Blossoms are bursting, flowers are blooming and bright-green young leaves are starting to peep out of deciduous trees. I love this time of year. Smile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5, 9:44pm

Post #10 of 31 (1137 views)
Shortcut
The bugs seem to love this time of year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not too cold, not too hot, and not too dry.

We bought a kakabeak this week, which I'm quite excited about. I've had a few failed attempts in the past, then we got two established nicely and a neighbour's cow got in and ate them both :( This one will be watched closely (and the cow has long since gone into the neighbours' freezer).

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 5, 9:55pm

Post #11 of 31 (1137 views)
Shortcut
I had a kakabeak for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

and it flowered spectacularly. Unfortunately it died after I pruned it so my recommendation is to leave it alone as much as you can. And have good fences. Tongue

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5, 10:13pm

Post #12 of 31 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the advice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not pruning it sounds a good idea. With natives, leaving them alone often seems to be the best policy - they're inclined to take offence at being fertilised, for instance, as they've evolved for our soils.

We do have good fences, but unfortunately at the time the neighbouring property didn't! The cow got out of its paddock and into their patch of bush, which links up with ours (the sections of bush aren't fenced off from one another - it shouldn't be necessary, as there shouldn't be browsing animals in there at all).

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5, 10:16pm

Post #13 of 31 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it wasn't supposed to hurt! Or at least not *that* much. Fingers crossed that it works, after putting yourself through all that.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 6, 12:04am

Post #14 of 31 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I talked with my physio about it yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

He says in Chinese acupuncture some of the treatments are pretty painless, for instance when it's used for relaxation or to promote the body's healing processes; but when it's used to unlock stuck muscles, like with me, there is pain. I've booked my next session for first thing in the morning so I can get it over and done with.

BTW thanks for that tip about not fertilising natives - I hadn't known that.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6, 10:19am

Post #15 of 31 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great weekend :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool outside, rain to help the lands, and a quiet couple of days. Ahhhhhh... sounds great to me!

Have a great one! :D

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6, 10:21am

Post #16 of 31 (1073 views)
Shortcut
zooommmm! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of THOSE days, eh? I hope you can enjoy your new room this weekend and sip some more cider :) Sounds perfect!

CHEERS!

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6, 10:25am

Post #17 of 31 (1071 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* A wonderful week :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez, Kimi... what a gorgeous world you do live in :) And this is one of those weeks that make you sigh and enjoy the season. Great weather, crops are growin, some purging of the shelves, and satisfying progress on your writing. Fantastic!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!! :D

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6, 10:28am

Post #18 of 31 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Spring is doing a good job! [In reply to] Can't Post

But the acupuncture sounds... challenging. I guess acupuncture works because the pain of IT helps you ignore your hip. I hope this session is better. Your hip is the target for relief, not to add to your discomfort... and stress!

*massive hug* Hang in there!

TIME Google Calendar

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 6, 1:35pm

Post #19 of 31 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Ground-hogging mist... [In reply to] Can't Post

My kids call that "zombie fog". Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Oct 6, 2:39pm

Post #20 of 31 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear - skimming over these posts [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression a kakabeak was some sort of exotic bird pet, until I reached the bit where a cow ate them! Googled and found a gorgeous-looking plant. You learn something every day...

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Oct 6, 2:44pm

Post #21 of 31 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Just taken my grandsons home [In reply to] Can't Post

after a sleepover, and am about to flop with the weekend newspaper and a cup of tea. Lovely boys, but tiring! A grey drizzly morning has blossomed into a fresh sunny day with the autumn colours starting to glow. In the car park of our local supermarket there's some kind of fancy sorbus that has amazing burgundy autumn colour - very striking against a pale blue sky. Too large to be considered for my little garden, sadly.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6, 6:46pm

Post #22 of 31 (1017 views)
Shortcut
We have a similar issue [In reply to] Can't Post

when hearing kiwifruit spoken of as "kiwi", with people putting them in fruit salads! To us kiwi are birds (or people).

Kaka are one of our native parrots, and the plant's named after the bird. But I expect you know that from your googling :). Yes, a gorgeous plant, and one Ive wanted for ages. Fingers crossed that we rear the new one successfully.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 6, 7:41pm

Post #23 of 31 (1006 views)
Shortcut
I had a lovely white kakabeak [In reply to] Can't Post

It is also now deceased. Before ceasing to exist it grew through my fence and bits of it still remain. Crazy

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Oct 6, 8:56pm

Post #24 of 31 (957 views)
Shortcut
Haha - yes of course! Oh dear... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't thought of that. What would you call the fruit?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6, 9:31pm

Post #25 of 31 (949 views)
Shortcut
Kiwifruit :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.