Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lord of the Rings and X-men and Legend

dlnewhouse
The Shire

Oct 3, 8:15am

Post #1 of 8 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings and X-men and Legend Can't Post

Sauron as portrayed in X-men is I believe the same character as Lord of the Rings, and the father of Darkness in Legend. The voice actors name in X-men is Karl Lykos. MTV news once stated on broadcast from Kurt Loader the name of the father of Darkness from Legend. I don't remember it.

Daniel L Newhouse

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 3, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 8 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Nope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Marvel Comics' Sauron was born as a human named Karl Lykos (not a voice actor). The character is an energy vampire who resembles a humanoid pterosaur. He may share the same name as Tolkien's Dark Lord of Mordor but they are completely different characters.

There's nothing in Legend to connect it to Tolkien's Middle-earth, so Sauron as the Father of Darkness seems unlikely. Tim Curry played Darkness, but his father never appeared in the film, not even as a disembodied voice.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

noWizardme
Valinor

Oct 3, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 8 (1304 views)
Shortcut
If Marvel had copied Tolkien's Sauron in any detail, the Tolkien Foundation lawyers would surely have acted... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 3, 10:13pm

Post #4 of 8 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The lawyers for the Tolkien Estate would certainly have taken action. Roy Thomas might have used the name as an intentional homage or he may have just liked the sound of it.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 3, 10:21pm

Post #5 of 8 (1283 views)
Shortcut
I remember him. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time fans wrote in protesting he wasn't evil enough to be "worthy" of the name of Sauron. Thomas pointed out that the guy had named himself so it was a sign of his egoism.

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in
thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond
all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled
mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!"
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 3, 10:22pm)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 3, 10:48pm

Post #6 of 8 (1276 views)
Shortcut
In the comic where 'Sauron' first appears, it's made clear the guy is a Tolkien fan. [In reply to] Can't Post

In an early frame of the comic, the guy is seen reading 'Lord of the Rings'. The title was hand-lettered on an otherwise featureless book in the shadowy foreground in his apartment - the idea was just to establish his fandom. And when he takes form as the flying thingie (like a pterosaur) he names himself 'Sauron' in homage to the super-villain in his favorite book: bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! and all.

Other than that, as noted, his character, powers, and action have nothing to do with Tolkien's Dark Lord.

God only knows why I remember this, given it was probably about 45 years ago. I guess as a really dedicated Tolkien and Marvel fan I was really struck by the whole new idea that 'cross over' was possible from one world to another!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 3, 11:03pm

Post #7 of 8 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've ever seen the first appearance of (Marvel's) Sauron, though I do recall a memorable story with him when Spider-Man visited the Savage Land.

Dunadan of North Arnor
The Shire

Oct 4, 1:07pm

Post #8 of 8 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Marvelís would win on differing root derivations/pronunciations (Greek v Quenya) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.