Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Interesting idea for dealing with trolls on an online forum

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 27, 7:35pm

Post #1 of 4 (320 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea for dealing with trolls on an online forum Can't Post

Thanks to our diligent mods, TORn is kept safe from serious trolling. But it takes a lot of work. Here's another way:

https://ideas.ted.com/...d=email&msg=fail

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28, 5:10pm

Post #2 of 4 (265 views)
Shortcut
Praise our Admins with GREAT Praise! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 29, 12:29am

Post #3 of 4 (271 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

And doubtless necessary.

In one other forum where I participate, a news site, which is too lightly moderated and mainly by an automated system that mostly just blocks a large and apparently growing list of banned words, often in a way that prevents non-troll users from expressing ideas or forces one to use ridiculous circumlocution--so, for a simple instance, if I want to refer to a situation where one person has killed another, I have to say "took his life", because "kill" is on the banned list--the trollish participants, almost all of whom share the same general viewpoints (opposed to mine, which doesn't mean I'm right, only that it's mostly one side who uses these techniques), have found various sneaky ways to continue rather vicious trolling. Two of these are to take a user name very like that of a normal poster's, with which they express horrible sentiments; and to take a user name which either includes a banned word (so that if you try to quote them, you have to remember to delete their user name or your own post gets blocked) or itself expresses a nasty message.

So for instance... I have a different user name there, but suppose it was N.E. Brigand, as it is here. Troll trick number one would be to post awful, disgusting (but not quite forbidden) things under the name "N.E. Birgand". Troll trick number two--and I'm not making this one up: it's happening right now--is to post under the name "N.E. Brigand touched my son".

I have complained to the site's owners from time to time. Sometimes they say they'll look into it. I don't think they will. It's just not important enough to them. But I don't want to give in to the trolls and abandon the discussions, which I think touch on important issues, dreary as it is to have to keep seeing that sort of thing.

All of which is to say that yes, TORN's administrators are fantastic. I have chafed a little from time to time at the limitations here, but they are far better than the alternative.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 29, 10:38am

Post #4 of 4 (227 views)
Shortcut
That's very ingenious! [In reply to] Can't Post

We sometimes fail to appreciate how much goes on behind the scenes to keep TORn the safe and admirable place it is. Thank you, Admins!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.