Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Rumor: Amazon's 'Lord of the Rings' series is expected to return to New Zealand
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 18, 8:08pm

Post #1 of 39 (4740 views)
Shortcut
Rumor: Amazon's 'Lord of the Rings' series is expected to return to New Zealand Can't Post

Geeks WorldWide reports:

Omega Underground has a production update concerning Amazons Lord of The Rings series as Amazon are now eyeing a return to New Zealand, which was the production location of all six previous Middle-Earth movies.

Nothing says any deal has been made with Weta Workshop or Peter Jackson, but it does give the impression they understand New Zealand needs to be part of the production.

This makes a certain amount of sense considering the pre-existing locations and sets that could be utilized in New Zealand. It is also possible that the production could film in other locations in addition to New Zealand.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Bwonder
The Shire

Aug 19, 1:55am

Post #2 of 39 (4603 views)
Shortcut
Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

coolSmile

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 19, 10:57am

Post #3 of 39 (4577 views)
Shortcut
I would take this announcement with a grain of salt [In reply to] Can't Post

preferably from the shire

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19, 12:46pm

Post #4 of 39 (4569 views)
Shortcut
Of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that even need to be said at this point? I have reported the story as rumor.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Mari D.
Bree

Aug 19, 12:57pm

Post #5 of 39 (4564 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

what it must feel like to be involved in the project, working at Amazon, and to be aware of how much people are speculating about what you are going to do next ... Smile

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Aug 19, 12:58pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 39 (4542 views)
Shortcut
Read some of uncle Iorlas' posts [In reply to] Can't Post

uncle Iorlas and his brother were slightly involved in early pitches for the show and his posts provide a little insight into the process.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 19, 2:40pm)

cats16
Valinor

Aug 21, 5:10am

Post #7 of 39 (4407 views)
Shortcut
Staffing up [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounding like they're working to staff the writer's room with high level writers at the moment. So folks under the McKay/Payne umbrella. Someone we work with was a name tossed around.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Mari D.
Bree

Aug 21, 5:48pm

Post #8 of 39 (4320 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually read them, but didn't think about them with this question in mind yet ... maybe because the brothers were only applying for the job, and the info that they were involved was not made public ... but the sense I got from his posts is that they were in awe of what their task was, working diligently to produce something excellent, aware of what other people might think but primarily concerned with the work itself. Uncle Iorlas may correct me if I got it wrong. :)

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Aug 22, 3:13pm

Post #9 of 39 (4258 views)
Shortcut
that's fair [In reply to] Can't Post

We never got so far that anybody other than my kids were waiting with bated breath to see how it went. We got awful close, but an inch is as good as a mile. The only expertise I can claim here is that I've been wondering what that hot seat might feel like for a month or two longer than you have. Maybe.

Ataahua
Superuser

Sep 25, 12:34am

Post #10 of 39 (3048 views)
Shortcut
Something more: [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not much, but in a story about how busy it is right now in New Zealand film studios there's a mention about NZ (Aotearoa) being the likely shooting location for Amazon's new show:

An example was the Netflix production of The Letter For The King, being filmed at Auckland Film Studios, and Amazon Studios TV version of Lord of the Rings - tipped to be shot somewhere in Aotearoa.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=12129215

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 25, 3:36am

Post #11 of 39 (3025 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not be surprised, though, if Amazon's series shoots at multiple locations in different parts of the world (including NZ).

Chen G.
Rivendell

Sep 25, 8:48pm

Post #12 of 39 (2921 views)
Shortcut
If the bulk of the location photography is in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Than I don't mind if some of it does take place elshewhere. I would love to see a bit of Irish/Scottish landscape in this series - I think it complements Tolkien's vision, Jackson's inspirations (Braveheart) and the celtic feeling of Tolkien's works well.

Also, if we ever go to Harad within the framework of a TV series, I think a more "Middle Eastern"-looking desert environment (which would also serve as a nice nod to another filmic inspiration - Lawrence of Arabia) and Mesoamerican-looking jungles could enrich the visual palette that is "Middle Earth."

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 25, 8:50pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 25, 9:15pm

Post #13 of 39 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Distant East, Far South [In reply to] Can't Post

So, what locations would you favor for the lands of Rhn beyond Dorwinion? The Mongolian Steppes might logically represent the plains; maybe the Kunlun Mountains could represent the Orocarni. I've wondered if Dorwinion should have a Mediterranean flavor.

Beyond the deserts of Near Harad there should be savannas, rain forests, jungles and mountains.

Chen G.
Rivendell

Sep 25, 9:36pm

Post #14 of 39 (2904 views)
Shortcut
If one wants to keep close to NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

than Australia could supply a lot of the desert vistas. As for more exotic, jungle environments - whatever WETA used as a basis for Skull Island in Peter Jackson's King Kong would work like gangbusters.

New Zealand also has sovernity over part of Antartica - so if they ever want to do something in Forochel - there's that.

In Reply To
I've wondered if Dorwinion should have a Mediterranean flavor.

That would be more fitting of Near Harad. Also, in terms of inhabitants, I seem to recall Dorwinion being a Dwarvish country, so in terms of habitated areas it should be consistent with Erebor and Moria.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 25, 9:40pm)

Ataahua
Superuser

Sep 25, 9:41pm

Post #15 of 39 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Forochel [In reply to] Can't Post

It'd be easier use NZ mountains in winter to represent Forochel, such as the Southern Alps - check out the views from the Cardrona skifield: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 2:47am

Post #16 of 39 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Dorwinion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, in terms of inhabitants, I seem to recall Dorwinion being a Dwarvish country, so in terms of habitated areas it should be consistent with Erebor and Moria.

I'm not sure where that is coming from; I would have to ask you to back up that claim. I've only ever seen Dorwinion associated with either Men or Elves (and wine of course). That said, I have speculated about the possibility of a Dwarven colony in the mountainous region to the south of Dorwinion--a settlement of Eastern Dwarves founded after the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Likewise, I have mentally placed Avari in the woodlands on the north coast of the Sea of Rhn.

The Sea of Rhn puts me in mind of such exotic legends as the adventures of SInbad, though that more realistically describe Umbar when it was still controlled by Gondor. The peoples of the Inland Sea would probably tend to be more wild and less technically developed than the Arabia of legend, and less Middle-eastern in nature. Mongols but with ships?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 26, 2:54am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 2:51am

Post #17 of 39 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Re: Forochel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It'd be easier use NZ mountains in winter to represent Forochel, such as the Southern Alps - check out the views from the Cardrona skifield: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/.

Terrific! And what for the Ice Bay of Forochel? Where in New Zealand would be a fine substitute for coastal Scandinavia?

Ataahua
Superuser

Sep 26, 3:21am

Post #18 of 39 (2848 views)
Shortcut
Probably green screen, to be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or a ticket to Scandinavia. Wink

Ataahua's stories

Chen G.
Rivendell

Sep 26, 12:03pm

Post #19 of 39 (2775 views)
Shortcut
Dorwinion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure where that is coming from; I would have to ask you to back up that claim. I've only ever seen Dorwinion associated with either Men or Elves (and wine of course). That said, I have speculated about the possibility of a Dwarven colony in the mountainous region to the south of Dorwinion--a settlement of Eastern Dwarves founded after the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Likewise, I have mentally placed Avari in the woodlands on the north coast of the Sea of Rhn.

Its really just from memory. Ultimately, Tolkien doesn't write who the inhabitants of Dorwinion were (at least, in the Third Age). I think the tendency to think of it as an Elvish land is predicated upon the Elvish name, but than, Erebor nearby is an Elvish name; Esgaroth is a name fashion in the likeness of Elvish and was probably the name of the first, bigger Laketown, whose ruins Bilbo saw. The names of the Lords of Dale seemed to have been Elvish, if Girion is any indication, so it appears the older Realms of Rhovanion use Elvish names, regardless of their race.

Now, to determine the realm's actual race I dabbled in a bit of deduction, so one may call my process flawed.

But one must keep in mind that Tolkien eventually came to loosely base his setting of The Hobbit largely on what would-become Beleriand: Mirkwood is Taur-nu-Fuin, Menegroth is the Woodland Realm (and the Elvenking is Thingol) and the Arkenstone is Nimphelos. Even Thorin and company being Longbeards is an idea taken from the early forms of Tolkien's mythology: In earlier iterations, the Dwarves of Beleriand were Longbeards (Indrafangs) rather than Firebeards and Longbeams, although Bombur clearly belongs to the latter.

Similarly, Dor-winion existed in Tolkien's earlier writings, where I seem to recall it being a Dwarvish realm, but I can't check at the moment. True, its not Dorwinion of Rhovanion (at least in its conception) but there's no reason to assume Tolkien would change the race of its inhabitants.

It even makes geographical sense: it forms a nice triangulation with the Iron Hills and Erebor (and the Grey Mountains). Isn't it said that the Dwarves in the First Age considered all the territory between the Iron Hills and Moria to be their own?

In Reply To
The Sea of Rhn puts me in mind of such exotic legends as the adventures of SInbad, though that more realistically describe Umbar when it was still controlled by Gondor. The peoples of the Inland Sea would probably tend to be more wild and less technically developed than the Arabia of legend, and less Middle-eastern in nature. Mongols but with ships?

I'd say that does more realistically refer to Umbar. Tolkien once equated his Middle Earth geography to that of Europe by positioning Pelargir at the equivalent of the latitude of ancient Troy (Hisarlik in Northern Turkey) and one annotated map of his suggest Camels being prevalent in Near Harad, so the Middle East comparison is more apt with those parts of Middle Earth.

At any rate, no part of Middle Earth is a one-to-one parallel of any part of our earth, certainly when it comes to onscreen adaptations.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 26, 12:05pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 2:04pm

Post #20 of 39 (2756 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves in Dorwinion (or not) [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest problem with your premise is that Dorwinion is not shown as a a mountainous region, though mountains are present along the south-western shores of the Sea of Rhn. At best, the mountains shown border Dorwinion in the south and are not part of the region as such. Also, Dwarves are generally associated with producing beers, ales and the like--not growing grapes or making wine.

Even Tolkien's earlier conception of Dor-Winion as a region in the south of Beleriand ("The Lay of the Children of Hrin") speaks of it as a land of potent wines. It might be that those wines were well-loved by the Dwarves of Nogrod and Menegroth and that might be the connection that you remember.

Yet a third version of Dorwinion appears at the end of the mid-1930s Quenta Silmarillion as a land seemingly located in Tol Eressa.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 26, 2:05pm)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 26, 4:40pm

Post #21 of 39 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Coastal Scandinavia in New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean Norwegian fjords, how about NZ fiordland? South Island west coast, Milford and Doubtful Sounds - plus some green screen, like she said.Wink Or some army base in Greenland?

https://www.google.co.nz/...biw=1155&bih=636

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Sep 26, 4:44pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 8:00pm

Post #22 of 39 (2689 views)
Shortcut
Ice Bay of Forochel [In reply to] Can't Post

Those all sound viable. And I can imagine Aragorn the Ranger getting up there at some point in his travels' Forochel isn't really that far from the Hills of Evendim. Cool

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 26, 8:04pm)

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 26, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 39 (2678 views)
Shortcut
It is also important to have new vistas as they don't want to have the familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

landscape that was seen in so many Westerns where the same hills and rock formations were seen over and over.

Would love to see various areas...Balkans, northern Europe - be it Scandinavia, UK, Ireland, Iceland etc. Near East depending on "safety issues". Spain and Italy have some great landscape too.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 26, 8:42pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 8:52pm

Post #24 of 39 (2667 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is exactly what I was thinking when I made the original post. We want to see new places and new characters who haven't appeared in the films.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 26, 8:56pm)

Chen G.
Rivendell

Sep 26, 10:00pm

Post #25 of 39 (2649 views)
Shortcut
But we want a general sense of consistency [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the strong points of this series: that it was hitherto the creation of one producer/writer/director and one production team and therefore felt more unified than other series do.

While a Television show is on a different medium alltogether, and some inconsistencies are bound to present themselves, overall some sense of continuity - including in landscape - is to be desired.

New Zealand can still supply the bulk of the vistas, but I'm fine with "augmenting" it with other countries on occasion. As for Middle East - I live there, so it can't be too bad. Wink

As for Forochel

In Reply To
I can imagine Aragorn the Ranger getting up there at some point in his travels' Forochel isn't really that far from the Hills of Evendim. Cool

That would also require portraying Lossoth. I don't know why, but I've always thought of them as the Northern version of the Druedain.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 26, 10:02pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.