Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
*** Birthday Quiz: “And you can quote me, I think.”

squire
Half-elven

Sep 22, 11:50am

Post #1 of 7 (957 views)
Shortcut
*** Birthday Quiz: “And you can quote me, I think.” Can't Post

I’ve heard criticism that one of Tolkien’s literary weaknesses is that he doesn’t do the ‘inner dialogue’. That is, he presents his stories externally, without much interest in exploring what goes on in his characters’ heads.

“Is this true?” he thought.

I wonder, he meditated, if anyone out there can possibly tell the difference between speech and thought in Tolkien’s fiction. “For the ten quotes below”, he told himself, “see if they can both identify the speaker/thinker and whether he or she is a speaker or a thinker”.

Oh, and give the source, if you can. Or they, I mean. I threw in a couple from The Hobbit or the Sil, just for kicks.
  1. “This shall be my own kingdom; and I name it unto myself!”

2. “I wish I could slip off back to the guardroom unnoticed! What did we come for? We are not wanted.”

3. “I haven’t been down that way for an age and an age; but I will soon alter that!”

4. “Poor Pippin, shut up in the great city of stone, lonely and afraid.”

5. “I reckon we crossed half the distance before we stopped. One more day will do it.”

6. “Unhappy Men, children of little lords and brief kings, shall such as these lay hands on you, and yet live?”

7. “What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not? What did she see? What woke in your heart then?”

8. “He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.”

9. “Well, as he is not here, I hope he’ll find an easier end. But now I must do my best.”

10. “I wonder if I shall ever look down into that valley again.”

Answers:
“Cheaters”, he thought. But he said, “Gee, give it at least a try before looking here, eh?”

1. Melkor, spoken to the other Valar. Silmarillion, ‘Ainulindale’
2. Pippin, muttered speech. LotR III.10
3. Smaug, smiling thought to himself. Hobbit XII
4. Merry, unquoted thought. LotR V.5
5. Sam, quoted speech that stands for thought. LotR VI.3
6. Thingol, thinking about his daughter Luthien. Silmarillion 19
7. Faramir, spoken soliloquy. LotR IV.5
8. Gandalf, quoted thought. LotR II.1
9. Pippin, quoted thought. LotR V.10
10. Frodo, quiet speech. LotR I.3

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 22, 4:24pm

Post #2 of 7 (913 views)
Shortcut
He who attempts shall not be chastened (I hope) [In reply to] Can't Post

All my answers are to be ‘thought’ of as ending in a ?

Aragorn-NO! Selfish greed abides…. Maybe a thought of Morgoth.

2. “I wish I could slip off back to the guardroom unnoticed! What did we come for? We are not wanted.”
Bilbo- thought before meeting Gollum

3. “I haven’t been down that way for an age and an age; but I will soon alter that!”
Beorn- spoken

Merry- thought on way to M. Tirith

5. “I reckon we crossed half the distance before we stopped. One more day will do it.”
Sam, thought on way to Orodruin…

6. “Unhappy Men, children of little lords and brief kings, shall such as these lay hands on you, and yet live?”
Elrond speaking to Arwen

7. “What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not? What did she see? What woke in your heart then?”
Boromir? Speaking of Galadriel

8. “He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.”
? speaking of Earendil

9. “Well, as he is not here, I hope he’ll find an easier end. But now I must do my best.”
Pippin thinking of Merry

Bilbo thought… leaving the Shire

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 22, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 7 (890 views)
Shortcut
Applause and Admiration [In reply to] Can't Post

to you Squire -- I recognize about 6 for sure.... not certain if thought or speech but know whose words they are.... as for the others... two I would guess at are Sil based and I'm not familiar enough with that and then there's the other two.... unfortunately no time to really work them out. Hectic weekend.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24, 3:26am

Post #4 of 7 (750 views)
Shortcut
I think I got a few right... [In reply to] Can't Post

*but probably not-thinks to herself* ;)

GREAT GAME! Thanks so much!

:(

Pippin thought to himself in Isengard.

oooo... Smaug thinks this to himself as he debated with Bilbo in Erebor

Merry was thinking as he rode with the Rohirrim to Minas Tirith and aid Gondor

Sam thinking to himself after Frodo and he escaped the orcs and they crossed Mordor for Mt. Doom

:(

Faramir wondered about Boromir as he listened to Frodo's story

Gandalf thought this to himself as he sat next to a recently revived Frodo in Rivendell.

Pippin thinking to himself about wishing Merry was with him outside the Black Gate so they could die together

Frodo says to himself as Sam, Pippin and he leave for Crickhollow.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Sep 24, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 7 (727 views)
Shortcut
My guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

1 Melkor speaking
2 Merry or Pippin at Orthanc. Without looking I will guess Merry as he did have his point of view at that time thinking
3 Smaug speaking
4 Merry again thinking
5 Sam thinking
6 I think that is Thingol, not Elrond and I think he is speaking!
7 Faramir, speaking
8 Gandalf, thinking
9 Pippin, thinking (You do like you're Merry and Pippin in this quiz!)
10 Frodo, thinking

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 30, 2:02am

Post #6 of 7 (607 views)
Shortcut
Good ones! My attempts to answer without looking. [In reply to] Can't Post

“This shall be my own kingdom; and I name it unto myself!”
This is from The Sil. Spoken out loud, but by whom?

“I wish I could slip off back to the guardroom unnoticed! What did we come for? We are not wanted.” Either Pippin or Merry, internally.

“I haven’t been down that way for an age and an age; but I will soon alter that!”
Thorin Oakenshield? Out loud?

“Poor Pippin, shut up in the great city of stone, lonely and afraid.”
Merry, internally.

“I reckon we crossed half the distance before we stopped. One more day will do it.”
Frodo, out loud.

“Unhappy Men, children of little lords and brief kings, shall such as these lay hands on you, and yet live?”
Galadriel, out loud?

“What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not? What did she see? What woke in your heart then?”
Boromir, out loud.

“He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.”
Gandalf, out loud.

“Well, as he is not here, I hope he’ll find an easier end. But now I must do my best.”
Bilbo, out loud.

“I wonder if I shall ever look down into that valley again.”
Frodo, out loud, but quietly.

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 30, 2:05am

Post #7 of 7 (602 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...I did not do very well// [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Frodo?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.