Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
***Birthday mini-sagas - tell me a tale, but briefly, mind!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 23 2018, 9:15am

Post #1 of 9 (2847 views)
Shortcut
***Birthday mini-sagas - tell me a tale, but briefly, mind! Can't Post

Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo! Here's a game of writing mini-sagas, and so I had better explain what a mini-saga is:

Mini-sagas are pieces of writing exactly fifty words long. They must have a Tolkien theme, and must include at least one chapter name from The Hobbit, The Lord Of The Rings, or The Silmarillion. At least one chapter name must be given exactly (e.g. There Is Company, not 'Three's Company' to save a word.) The mini-saga can have a title, which can be the Tolkien chapter name. The mini-saga’s title (whatever it is) does not count as part of the fifty words.
Here are some Mini-saga examples (but not with a Tolkien theme, necessarily): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-in-fifty-words.html

Here is an example, including our hose rules about theme and incorporating at least one chapter name exactly:

The Unexpected Shadow of Three Is Company

“Just like old times!” Thane Pippin, Mayor Gamgee and Master Meriadoc take a holiday hike through the Shire to a fondly-remembered pub. Thirsty, tired and Middle-aged hobbits! They’re disappointed by the sign on the pub door when they finally get there: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, The Black Gate is Closed.”

Getting to exactly fifty words takes some patience and skill, and that’s part of the fun of the form. But if that won’t work for your idea, please feel free to write a Drabble instead. A Drabble has 100 words or less, rather than 50 exactly.

Have fun!

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 23 2018, 9:17am

Post #2 of 9 (2827 views)
Shortcut
For handy reference - lists of chapter names [In reply to] Can't Post

For handy reference, here are the chapter names (remember, you must use at least one of them in your piece):

The Hobbit:

An Unexpected Party
Roast Mutton
A Short Rest
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
Queer Lodgings
Flies and Spiders
Barrels Out of Bond
A Warm Welcome
On the Doorstep
Inside Information
Not at Home
Fire and Water
The Gathering of the Clouds
A Thief in the Night
The Clouds Burst
The Return Journey
The Last Stage

LOTR - see: http://catdir.loc.gov/...0519/2005026697.html

Silmarillion:

Ainulindalë
Valaquenta

Quenta Silmarillion:

Of the Beginning of Days
Of Aulë and Yavanna
Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Of Thingol and Melian
Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
Of the Darkening of Valinor
Of the Flight of the Noldor
Of the Sindar
Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
Of Men
Of the Return of the Noldor
Of Beleriand and its Realms
Of the Noldor in Beleriand
Of Maeglin
Of the Coming of Men into the West
Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
Of Beren and Lúthien
Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
Of Túrin Turambar
Of the Ruin of Doriath
Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

Akallabêth

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 23 2018, 12:42pm

Post #3 of 9 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Eavesdropping [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I adhered to the rules. Here's my go at it:

'With a drone bearing a palantir hovering over Rivendell, Saruman and Sauron spied on The Council of Elrond. “What’s a hobbit?” “Nasty little rodents that eat all the time; had them in heaven when we were kids, but Eru exterminated them. But listen, Gandalf just revealed your treachery, you fool!”'

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 23 2018, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 9 (2814 views)
Shortcut
A Mini-saga it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Clouds Burst
It was a dark and rainy night when old Hamfast strolled out to check his taters. Suddenly the clouds burst! Oh my no umbrella. Well, wouldn’t you know along came sweet Lobelia, and of course she had an umbrella. And Hamfast uttered those renowned words, “All’s well as ends driest.”

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 23 2018, 3:35pm

Post #5 of 9 (2811 views)
Shortcut
And here we thought Lobelia was just mean to everyone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for showing there's 2 sides to every story.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 23 2018, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 9 (2812 views)
Shortcut
The butt of my own joke... [In reply to] Can't Post

“What’s with these new fancy casks?” asked a woodland elf “This one has a radio, and this one can be reassembled into a motorbike. Why are the Lake Town men sending us kegs equipped with spy gadgets?”

“Ah well you see,” said the storekeeper “these are Barrels Out Of Bond.

~~~~~~

squire
Half-elven

Sep 24 2018, 12:02am

Post #7 of 9 (2797 views)
Shortcut
Frodo's journey to the Grey Havens, with a few stops along the way. [In reply to] Can't Post

There’s barely room to tell this. Suffice to say that after a long-expected party, Frodo received a ring. A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad ring. So he got rid of it, naturally – not as easy as it sounds. Believe me, it was no mini-saga, it was a real saga.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2018, 1:56am

Post #8 of 9 (2785 views)
Shortcut
*groan*! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2018, 2:10am

Post #9 of 9 (2793 views)
Shortcut
This was fun! :D I visited old Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Lord of the Rings: Book I: Chapter 7

The rain fell just enough to hold them as Tom told stories of all things living under the sun outside the Shire.
Each hobbit heard and learned what they would carry with them.
Armed with unlived experience, they would bring their own courage, wit and will.
Then, the rain stopped.

In the House of Tom Bombadil... again :)

Laughing, Tom tossed the Ring in the air and made fun of its menacing reputation.
Frodo's dismay turned to shock as he saw the Ring sitting on Tom's finger exposed and powerless.
Shock turned into suspicion then annoyance for Frodo... or was it the Ring's?
A lesson, or a portent?

Great Party Favour, noWizardme! THANKS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 24 2018, 2:20am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.