Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a beautiful Fall/Spring Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Sep 22, 7:10pm

Post #26 of 29 (174 views)
Shortcut
Too much TV [In reply to] Can't Post

And, depending on how plugged in you are in the world of streaming services, there are always more shows you haven't even heard of. Laugh

The job is for the film side, but they're so new that the show is their only produced thing thus far.

Thank you!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22, 11:54pm

Post #27 of 29 (169 views)
Shortcut
We've been commemorating [In reply to] Can't Post

the 125th anniversary of New Zealand women gaining the vote - a proud part of our history. As well as various functions, there've been lots of new publications, photo ops, etc, including a photograph of our three (so far) female Prime Ministers together. One of the newspapers reproduced a grumpy editorial of the day.

I do feel a personal link, as well as a professional (women's suffrage plays a role in one of my books) one. The signatures of two of my ancestors are on the surviving sheets of the great petition of 1893, and a great-great-aunt was on the first National Council of Women with Kate Sheppard.

After working hard all week, I'm having a pleasantly domestic weekend. Fresh sourdough bread yesterday, and today homemade chocolate. Maybe some gardening this afternoon, before we go on a walk in the countryside. Then back into the writing tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Sep 22, 11:54pm)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 23, 12:57am

Post #28 of 29 (168 views)
Shortcut
That piqued my curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that NZ was the first western nation to give women the vote, in 1893 - about 15 years before the US and the UK, for instance. Why? I asked.

Looking it up, I couldn't find a direct answer. Just virtue, I guess? Because New Zealand was just plain a more progressive and liberal society at the time than any other western country? Yet no woman could enter Parliament until after the Great War, just as in Europe; and women office-holders only became common in our own more modern era.

So "we're just naturally a feminist society" seemed suspect to me. I remembered that the first of the US states to grant female suffrage at the state level were in the mountainous West, sparsely populated and run as virtual colonies of the Eastern monetary interests.

Finally I found a timeline of NZ voting rights. No one at all could vote until 1853, when propertied British men got the franchise. In 1860, miners were given the vote, to prevent the riots and strikes that beset Australia. By the 1870s, all European-ancestry men, propertied or not, could vote. The vote for women and Maoris followed in the early 1890s.

So I wonder: did NZ enfranchise women because it was a remote, colonial, slightly populated, and relatively new addition to the West's democratic states? Was it easier to defy the tradition that women didn't vote, only men did, because all "traditions" in NZ about voting were only thirty or forty years old?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23, 2:00am

Post #29 of 29 (160 views)
Shortcut
A couple of corrections: [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1879 *universal* male suffrage was introduced in New Zealand, not European-only. (In fact Maori men had had the vote since 1867 - itself a complicated story.)

Our women's suffrage came 25 years before Britain's very partial (aged 30+, married/householder/university graduate) one - it was another ten years after that before they extended it. Of course they weren't exactly mad-keen on universal, non-property based male suffrage, either.

Here's an article by a local history professor that attempts a fairly concise answer.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Sep 23, 2:07am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.