Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit book future editions with movie elements?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Chen G.
Lorien

Sep 25, 8:38pm

Post #26 of 34 (5734 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I think these films, especially in the extended format, sort of command the audience's attention in a way that not a lot of tentpole blockbusters do. If you think of the number of characters and subplots within each film and the none-linear nature of the plot - its actually quite surprising that one could keep up with the films.

I mean, I recently did a head-count of characters in The Return of the King - It doesn't fall very short of Infinity War. Except the films in this series are also much more none-linear, with framing devices, flashbacks, flash-forwards, voiceovers, etcetra...

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 25, 8:51pm)

Paulo Gabriel
The Shire

Sep 26, 4:46am

Post #27 of 34 (5681 views)
Shortcut
Whoa. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry, I was defending the films, not criticizing them -- unlike a lot of people here, I really like the Hobbit trilogy (in extended format, nonetheless!).

Chen G.
Lorien

Sep 26, 12:31pm

Post #28 of 34 (5582 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't criticising [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that its the way that it is. Its almost avant-garde, in its own way.

Think about the framing device of The Hobbit: We start right before The Shire scenes of The Fellowship of the Ring, but we end in a scene where Bilbo is sitting down, staring at his ring.

Where did that come from? Well, chronologically (i.e. according to the sujet) this scene happens immediately after a scene in Fellowship of the Ring where Bilbo thinks he lost the ring, and searches frentically for it. So, after having an "episode" of sorts, he sits down quietly with the ring.

I think that's really neat.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26, 2:26pm

Post #29 of 34 (5569 views)
Shortcut
Defending the Films [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't worry, I was defending the films, not criticizing them -- unlike a lot of people here, I really like the Hobbit trilogy (in extended format, nonetheless!).

You were? You did? I would have never guessed that from that post! Wink

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Paulo Gabriel
The Shire

Sep 27, 2:45am

Post #30 of 34 (5508 views)
Shortcut
Worded badly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

You were? You did? I would have never guessed that from that post! Wink

I might have expressed myself badly. I said people don't pay the attention to the movies that they DESERVE. Or at least that was my intent.

dreamflower
Lorien

Oct 2, 3:17pm

Post #31 of 34 (4985 views)
Shortcut
Horrible idea [In reply to] Can't Post

The books are the books and the movies are the movies. They exist in two different universes, "book-verse" and "movie-verse".

And movie-verse is fanfiction; expensive, authorized, fanfiction. I love fanfiction.

But I love the books better! Don't go messing with them.

And I think a detailed description of the movie-verse barrel scene would be more boring in a book than you think--what took a few paragraphs in TH as JRRT wrote it would take pages and pages of description to get in every little bit of the action that seems so exciting on the screen.

Of course, I would not object to a comic-book version of the movie. But just so long as it was made clear it was NOT based on the book.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

dreamflower
Lorien

Oct 2, 3:21pm

Post #32 of 34 (4983 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

No. The assignment was for the book Tolkien wrote. When someone substitutes a movie or a "storybook" or any other version they are NOT doing the assignment.

Books are not boring to those who are willing to use their imagination.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

StingingFly
Lorien

Oct 3, 12:26am

Post #33 of 34 (4940 views)
Shortcut
what I am hoping for is a future Movie with Book elements... [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've said before, Mirkwood was the greatest lost opportunity of these films. One of my favorite parts of the book, it includes two very good sequences...
The one is the suspense filled journey, as they wander further into the wild, surrounded by eyes in the dark.
The other is Bilbo's great moment of heroism, where he saves the party and battles the spiders.

There were things I liked, such as the meeting in Bree, which helps make sense of the Quest. The movie needed more thoughtful additions like this and less flying ninja elves, bunny sleds, and Alfrid.

Chen G.
Lorien

Oct 3, 12:47pm

Post #34 of 34 (4903 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood has to go down as one of my favorite setpieces of the entire series. There's nothing overt that's happening: no black squirrels and bats attack the company, and yet you can feel the foreboding.

That's because it: a) has build-up, both in the previous film and this one and b) because it uses the tool-box of cinema to get us into the drowsy headspace of the characters.

For instance, as they go deeper and deeper into the forest the light grows dimmer (an indication of nightfall and therefore passage of time) and more saturation is drawn out of the color palette. The camera gradually starts wandering about the characters, and all manner of in-camera effects such as jump-cuts and reverse-photography are used to disorient the audience.

Its part of why The Desolation of Smaug is so great.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Oct 3, 12:58pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.