site Not Secure notice?

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 19 2018, 4:51am

Post #1 of 15 (4620 views)
Shortcut
site Not Secure notice? Can't Post

Hi, all ye mods,
When I log in to the site, I get the " 'i' in a circle Not Secure" notice from Chrome. I'm told to change to https://, but the same thing happens. Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Liss

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 19 2018, 11:00am

Post #2 of 15 (4566 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like Sauron hacked us...again. // [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2018, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 15 (4478 views)
Shortcut
You might need to add [In reply to] Can't Post

newboards.theonering.net as a safe site in your browser settings. Browsers are getting stricter about secure sites and the message board software is over 10 years old. We might not have the security markers that Chrome is looking for.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 20 2018, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 15 (4457 views)
Shortcut
I have the same thing showing using Chrome [In reply to] Can't Post

But being very computer UNsavy I’m wondering what difference it makes. Does being a ‘Not secure’ site mean that a hacker can read my TORn posts, or steal my TORn password, or…? Well, indulge yourself. Or does it mean that my entire computer is vulnerable while I’m on TORn?

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20 2018, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 15 (4442 views)
Shortcut
Without getting overly technical [In reply to] Can't Post

The only vulnerable data is anything you post to tOR.N. The most concerning piece is your tOR.N password, but if you only use it for tOR.N then it's less of a big deal. Don't use your tOR.N password for your bank account. =)
tOR.N doesn't use SSL (secure socket layer-- what the s in https represents), I assume because the certificates to do so are fairly expensive. Browsers like Chrome and Firefox have started including warning when you submit login information to 'unsecure' sites (all this means is they don't use SSL). What it boils down to is anything you send without SSL is sent in plain text over the internet and anyone who's network you go through to get to tOR.N (your ISP, tOR.N's ISP, any intermediary telecos, etc.) could see what you're sending or receiving if they bothered to look (or if they got hacked, and a hacker looked). SSL encrypts everything while it's in transit between your computer and the computer that is hosting the website so it can't be read.
But an unsecure website doesn't mean that some mysterious hacker in Russia or someplace can suddenly read every file on your computer, nor does it mean that the site is full of viruses and malware.
Hope that's clear.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 20 2018, 9:06pm

Post #6 of 15 (4437 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, someone else mentioned this too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah well, probably not fatal. If anyone knows otherwise (about the fatal part), BG and I would appreciate hearing about it, hey, Bracegirdle?Wink
Thanks, Maiden of the Ents.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 20 2018, 9:43pm

Post #7 of 15 (4436 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, Inferno. Thanks to you, too, for stopping by. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, that was helpful.
(phew!) My TORn password is not my bank password - are you paying attention, hackers from whatever nether regions you inhabit?! But if you wish, you are most welcome to read my thoughts on Viggo vs Nicholas, the occasional fascinating news item from New Zealand, and screencap drabble on LOTR and The Hobbit. The stuff written about here might just make you kinder, gentler human beings. (Well, it might!)

Cheers, Tornfolk.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 20 2018, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 15 (4432 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a bunch Inferno [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel ok now with things as they are. My TORn password isn't even close to any other password I use. So if I understand correctly I'm pretty safe on this site - as is. If anyone is interested (get a life :)) in what I send or receive on this site, well, have a Jolly Roger time.

Thanks again,
BG

Gandalf to Denethor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 20 2018, 10:48pm

Post #9 of 15 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Don't say "Fatal" to an old person [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ah well, probably not fatal If anyone knows otherwise (about the fatal part), BG and I would appreciate hearing about it, hey, Bracegirdle?Wink

And yes, knowledge is power. Wish I had more knowledge, more I say Tongue

Cheers Lissuin

Gandalf to Denethor

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 21 2018, 5:45am

Post #10 of 15 (4407 views)
Shortcut
A blast from the past [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out this post from almost a year ago.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=935105;#935105

Apparently, browsers other than Firefox have added a similar warning, but it's nothing to worry about here at TORn, as the message is geared towards sites that process financial payments, which TORn doesn't do. Still, common sense, everyday precautions, outlined in the linked post, always apply.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 21 2018, 5:49am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 21 2018, 4:22pm

Post #11 of 15 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the internet threats, viruses, malware, phishing, etc. the computer neophyte (that’s me) shakes in terror before clicking a key. We are told to change our passwords every eight minutes, and to use 2 symbols, 3 numbers, 2 caps, and 5 small letters, with the left eye shut and … oh, my. And if we don’t follow these simple rules we may as well tattoo our SS numbers on our foreheads. Then there’s that sneaky camera-eye on the computer, watching and taking notes. I cover it with the Universal Tool – Duct Tape.
Seriously, I don’t do any banking or financial transactions over the internet. Even though with every bank or financial statement they make it clear that they wish one to go the internet route (to save paper or whatever). I’ll go down kicking and screaming before I’ll allow such information to float free in the ether. It’s paper for me, although the shredding gets to be a pain. I do feel fairly safe on TORn as there is no personal info available that I cherish. I have used the ‘remember me’ feature since day one, and have never logged off since (I don’t think).
Sorry,
Paranoid Rant over…

Gandalf to Denethor

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 21 2018, 4:45pm

Post #12 of 15 (4351 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

Even better are the places that remember your last 100 passwords and won't let you use them, or anything similar, ever again. Laugh
I trust that our home network is as safe as any home network can be because I'm lucky enough to have a computer expert in the house who set it up for us. Heart And, while I may surf the internet on occasions when I have my computer or phone out of the house (other than work), I only log into sites like my bank from home.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 21 2018, 8:07pm

Post #13 of 15 (4332 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the review, Altaira, from another paranoid neophyte. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Paranoid". That's a good thing in regards to computers, right?Laugh
So, is it better to:
1) Change your TORn password often (which, I assume, would potentially open a temporary crack for the cockroaches to sneak in when one does that)
or
4) use the 'remember me' feature when you log into TORn which creates a cookie so you never have to log in unless you log out first (which means if the cockroaches have been sneaking in (("Sneaking?! Sneaking?! Oh, very nice, precious! Very nice!")) , they squeak "Second breakfast!" and just scuttle in behind as one opens the door again.)?

Aaaaaaargh! (sigh)

Husband suggested - with a vicious little twinkle in his eye Evil - that perhaps I should simply limit the time I spend on the website. Pffffff! (guffaw) There's a party this weekend and all!

I think I should just assume I am not a person of interest to hackers of sites dedicated to elves and hobbits and leave it at that and let Chrome and firewalls and devilishly clever passwords do their jobs. A sunspot will erupt one day and fry it all anyway, so why sweat the small stuff, eh? Cool

Cheers, Mods!

Now, what shall I wear to this party....? Ah, yes......

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2018, 10:28pm

Post #14 of 15 (4317 views)
Shortcut
I want to know what your secret options 2 and 3 are. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 21 2018, 10:53pm

Post #15 of 15 (4315 views)
Shortcut
See options 2 and 3 in link to Altaira's Axioms re passwords, wifi, and questionable cafes and libraries. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=935105#935105

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.