Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the under-the-weather reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 4, 3:09pm

Post #1 of 10 (382 views)
Shortcut
It's the under-the-weather reading thread! Can't Post

The actual weather is quite nice here, with rain and cooler temperatures. I'm the one who's under the weather, as in, ill, with an inner ear infection. If this vertigo and nausea is what y'all who are prone to sea-sickness feel, then you have my sympathy! And I'll value my sea-legs even more.

So talk among yourselves, please---what have you been reading?---and I'll get us back to our regularly scheduled program next week.

UnsureCrazyFrown

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 5:43am

Post #2 of 10 (287 views)
Shortcut
Chasing Embers by James Bennett. [In reply to] Can't Post

The last dragon awake is in human form and living in the US. I can't tell you much about the story because I gave up part-way through the third chapter - there was just too much explaining going on: lots of back-story, not much opening the world for the reader to fall into. The book was recommended by a friend so I feel a bit bad at stopping so early but I just couldn't plough on.

So I opened a really old favourite instead: Restoree by Anne McCaffrey. Anne wrote this in response to how women were benig portrayed in SF/F in the '60s and I adore it as much now as I did when I first read it as a teenager. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7, 1:19pm

Post #3 of 10 (271 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to give it a go [In reply to] Can't Post

a friend of mine liked it, so I'll make the attempt. I'm a little cautious now, given your reaction, but I'm fine with not finishing the book.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 8, 2:53pm

Post #4 of 10 (246 views)
Shortcut
Our Towns by James & Deborah Fallows [In reply to] Can't Post

they spent a few years flying around the country in a tiny plane and staying for days or weeks in various towns to see what's really going on. If you get discouraged by the discourse happening at the national level, read this book. What is REALLY going on in the country is far more heartening. Even people who voted the other way in national elections - even those in staunchly "red" states - are making sure their own communities are welcoming, "green," using innovative technology, and supportive of the arts.

My nonfiction book club just chose our books for the next year, and I'm looking forward to "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World" by Hans Rosling. Like Steven Pinker, he takes most of our fears about the way the world is going and debunks them. (The exception: Climate change IS a real problem.)

I had an inner ear infection once and was just fine as long as I lay flat on my back and didn't move. I had to crawl to the bathroom with my eyes shut. Fortunately mine only lasted 24 hours. Not fun! Get better quick!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 8, 5:37pm

Post #5 of 10 (238 views)
Shortcut
and I'm about to download [In reply to] Can't Post

the first of "A Series of Unfortunate Events." I remember when these books came out, but something about the descriptions made me think they weren't for me. Now I've been watching the Netflix series and I'm all "this series is amazing! And it's all about language and story! How did I not know this?"

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 11, 3:05pm

Post #6 of 10 (187 views)
Shortcut
It's the middle-of-September reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

First a moment of silence because today's date is September 11.

Second a small cheer because today is also the birthday of a very good friend.

Third, the news that while my dratted ear is still stopped up---we've had so much rain here I think it's growing fungus---a course of antibiotics has wiped out the vertigo, and thank goodness for that!

(Annael, I'm horrified at your description of vertigo!)

Fourth and finally, what I've been reading. Which would be mostly odds and ends of magazines, but also a short British cozy mystery from the 90s, Exhaustive Enquiries by Betty Rowlands. Which was entertaining, but not so much so my inner critic didn't pipe up repeatedly when Rowlands telegraphed every plot point well in advance.

But then, I'm a picky reader, as I'm sure y'all have noticed.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through the audio book of The Three Musketeers, to parts of the story that are rarely dramatized and so are new to me. It's still over-the-top and great fun, even as the melodrama is laid on with a palette knife.

So what have you been reading?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 11, 11:19pm

Post #7 of 10 (171 views)
Shortcut
"The Falling Man". [In reply to] Can't Post

Harrowing long article about "the most photographed and videotaped day in the history of the world", i.e. seventeen years ago today, and about what is the proper response of journalists, historians, and artists to tragedy. It may remind you, as it did me, that a number of people were outraged at Schindler's List because they felt it commercialized the Holocaust. It may remind you a bit of Citizen Kane in its attempt to solve a famous mystery. Above all it is simply, deeply moving.

Be warned: there are disturbing images.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Fri, 5:54am

Post #8 of 10 (138 views)
Shortcut
Also dogs doing philosophy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plato, Rene, Maimonides, Spinoza, Aquinas, Aurelius, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Bertrand, Leviathan

By the way, did you know that Tolkien and Wittgenstein had mutual friends of friends?

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 3:00pm

Post #9 of 10 (86 views)
Shortcut
The Shining Company [In reply to] Can't Post

an historical fiction by Rosemary Sutcliff, based on the bard Aneirin's Y Gododdin. I enjoyed her depiction of the north of Britain in the 600's.

How's the ear doing, Lily? Glad to know the vertigo is no longer a problem!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sun, 8:10pm

Post #10 of 10 (43 views)
Shortcut
Almost completely healed, thank you.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.