The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Ring soup

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 7 2018, 10:46pm

Post #1 of 21 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Ring soup Can't Post

I've had a change of opinion. I remember that there're 5 gem stones with a bravais lattice. Ruby is one of them. The violet one I can't remember. Caralla and caracella.

The only ring made correctly then is the one, narya, and whatever ring Sauron is trying to make.

Maybe that's why the dwarves need to go back to Moria to look for the violet gemstone that is the secret to Creation!

What if Saruman is the father of Melkor and he's trying to make a ring to save his son?

What do they do to make Sauron angry? That i don't know. It's kind of like, why does he want to conquer everyone? I understand Saruman's duplicity.

Daniel L Newhouse

squire
Half-elven

Sep 8 2018, 1:22am

Post #2 of 21 (3717 views)
Shortcut
I have to say I don't understand a word you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you catch me up on where you're coming from?

Among other things, the idea of Saruman being the father of Melkor is absolutely impossible according to Tolkien's entire mythology. Some might call it nonsense, or (God forbid) trolling. What did you mean by that?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 8 2018, 7:25am

Post #3 of 21 (3669 views)
Shortcut
Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I am bored, I am thinking in a way to make the plot sound more gripping. As if the characters have ulterior schemes. Why does Saruman betray? Power for himself? But he loses and he isn't dumb.

Daniel L Newhouse

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 14 2018, 12:07am

Post #4 of 21 (3526 views)
Shortcut
more ring soup [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Galadriel is hinting that she is wearing a ring that is too powerful for her and is driving her nuts. I think that the ring allows her to read the mind of El the Creator.

I think she needs Narya and her husband needs Nenya. or maybe Gil-Galad who was defeated? And is dead 3000 years.

In preschool I tried on Vilya. I had a sense it was trying to make it so people obeyed me, I resisted this ability and found that it could make it so I could tell who loved who.

I remember handing it to George Thorogood when he asked for it.

This also implies that El and John Eru don't get along so well.

Nenya is the ring that lets a man be a Creator.

Daniel L Newhouse

(This post was edited by dlnewhouse on Sep 14 2018, 12:21am)

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Sep 14 2018, 12:50am

Post #5 of 21 (3516 views)
Shortcut
try the Middle-earth Series discussion thread [In reply to] Can't Post

There's some there, the Morgoths and the Chens, that know all the answers to everything... Good luck Smile

squire
Half-elven

Sep 14 2018, 2:18am

Post #6 of 21 (3506 views)
Shortcut
Again, I'm having trouble following you [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you tell me where in the Lord of the Rings you got the feeling that Galadriel could read the thoughts of the Creator (Eru, not El, right?)

When you handed Vilya to George Throrogood, did you get a receipt? Could you post it so we could see? Otherwise, I at least, will tend to doubt that you possessed Vilya as a pre-schooler and then gave it to George Thorogood.

Who are "El" and "John Eru"? They don't seem to come up when searching the texts of Tolkien works.

Thanks!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 14 2018, 4:19am

Post #7 of 21 (3494 views)
Shortcut
ring souffle [In reply to] Can't Post

John Eru is John Klauder, physics professor at UFL.

El looks like Josh Tinkham's father and he works for ATT. Joshua. As in the back door password in War Games. Josh is the real CEO. According to Tom McMorrow.

Erestor suggests sending the ring over the sea? Gandalf turns him down.

Is Erestor daft? In the LotR video game for DOS, Erestor is the loremaster of Rivendell, Elrond says seek Erestor if you desire lore. He gives references to a paragraph book.

Gandalf says "for good or ill it is a thing of middle earth."

I think Gandalf/John Eru lied! It was made in Valinor by Feanor.

Who else had the skill? Loremaster Erestor is giving a hint! What's it doing in middle earth? I have no idea!

Daniel L Newhouse

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 14 2018, 5:50am

Post #8 of 21 (3483 views)
Shortcut
nenya [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid if Gandalf put on Nenya he would destroy El easily. It really should go on El's favorite wizard. The ring helps you know aramaic.

Daniel L Newhouse

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 14 2018, 1:02pm

Post #9 of 21 (3464 views)
Shortcut
dlnewhouse [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a strange, strange man.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2018, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 21 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Nominated for the best single short post of the TORnyear! [In reply to] Can't Post

dlnewhouse

You are a strange, strange man.

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 14 2018, 11:52pm

Post #11 of 21 (3395 views)
Shortcut
Thanx [In reply to] Can't Post

There just doesn't seem to be much more to say. Angelic

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 15 2018, 12:31am

Post #12 of 21 (3394 views)
Shortcut
The Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Feanor made the ring so that God wouldn't die.

Daniel L Newhouse

squire
Half-elven

Sep 15 2018, 2:19am

Post #13 of 21 (3385 views)
Shortcut
Theri Ng [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Ng Gho Minh, known to his friends as Theri, ate the Ring. To keep it from Billy Bob Thornton.

squire online:

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 15 2018, 2:38am

Post #14 of 21 (3375 views)
Shortcut
Did Vietnam, like North Borneo, have a Tolkien society? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2018, 11:56am

Post #15 of 21 (3331 views)
Shortcut
If God needs bling... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we can probably do without Him.

squire
Half-elven

Sep 15 2018, 12:07pm

Post #16 of 21 (3329 views)
Shortcut
Yes, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

But for some reason the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia did not assign an article on it.

squire online:

dlnewhouse
Bree

Sep 23 2018, 3:17pm

Post #17 of 21 (3266 views)
Shortcut
one ring [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end, when the three are mindspeaking, I think the reason they leave is that they can't save Feanor, who made the one. And for that reason they decide not to stay and try to heal middle earth. The flash of light indicates the three still have power.

Also, there are theoretically 8 Nazgul left. Seven guardians of time. I know this plays into Dr. Who in some ways. The captain of the Nazgul destroyed. Does he have a ghost? Seen the Blair Witch?

Also, Erestor seams to have the attitude that the 9 were supposed to provide true immortality and not send the bearers to hell.

This assumes that the one ring was made last is a fib, this interpretation depends on it being made first.

Daniel L Newhouse

(This post was edited by dlnewhouse on Sep 23 2018, 3:21pm)

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Sep 23 2018, 6:27pm

Post #18 of 21 (3260 views)
Shortcut
Is this just trolling? [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything said here is defied by even a basic knowledge of the text...

"No words were laid on stream or stone
When Durin woke and walked alone."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 23 2018, 7:57pm

Post #19 of 21 (3246 views)
Shortcut
I've known a contrarian or two in my time. [In reply to] Can't Post

One (a member of an anime club I was affiliated with) would always vote 'no' if the prevailing vote was 'yes' just because he felt that such a vote should never be unanimous. dlnewhouse might be such a person.

dlnewhouse
Bree

Oct 19 2018, 5:44am

Post #20 of 21 (2261 views)
Shortcut
ring soup [In reply to] Can't Post

I've ordered some Tolkien side stories. I have this feeling the elves are lying about one thing. Ham and the blacksmith story.

Now that I've read Paradise Lost again and seen the wikipedia page, I realize El is Uriel!

Have you ever had the feeling that Ghandalf the grey and white weren't the same person? First off, Ghandalf the white comes across as a wuss compared to Ghandalf the grey.
I think Ghandalf the grey = Eru/Zoaster
Ghandalf the white = Uriel, one of the wizards who went in the east

Saruman, still the father of Melkor.

I think Tolkien was confused about something, a serpent is not a pteranodon. It's an anaconda.

Daniel L Newhouse

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 19 2018, 10:47am

Post #21 of 21 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Dragons [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think Tolkien was confused about something, a serpent is not a pteranodon. It's an anaconda.

Dragons are sometimes called serpents when they share snake-like qualities; they are not literally snakes. By the way, all anacondas are snakes but not all snakes are anacondas. And it is the winged, fell beasts of the Nazgűl that Tolkien compared to pterosaurs (though he didn't actually use the term).

There are lots of words that are used as synonyms or near-synonyms for 'dragon'. Most of them also have other meanings: Drake; worm; wyrm; wyvern; serpent; lindworm; firedrake; snake; lizard; lóng (Chinese); etc. Dragons in Middle-earth come in several varieties: with wings or wingless; fire-breathers or not.

In Reply To
I have this feeling the elves are lying about one thing. Ham and the blacksmith story.

Neither "Farmer Giles of Ham" nor "Smith of Wootton Major" are tales of Middle-earth. But I expect you already knew that.

The rest of your post is very -- imaginative, but still nonsensical. Evil

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 19 2018, 10:53am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.