Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys and unlocks doors* Come on in! Fiesta Friday is here!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 4:10pm

Post #1 of 41 (420 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys and unlocks doors* Come on in! Fiesta Friday is here! Can't Post

Hello, everyone! Welcome to another Fiesta Friday!

This was my last week of mostly-no-work, so I spent the week fitting in more errands, projects and appointments. The time flew by way too fast, but I crossed lots of 'non-work' items off the list, so I feel a sense of accomplishment. Luckily, the weather was gorgeous too, and two days involved lunches, so it was a good week!
How about you? Did your week go well? Any fun plans for the weekend? We're featuring both blended cold drinks and a full compliment of hot drinks, so order up a favorite and don't forget to fill your plate at the buffet!
*puts quarters on juke box* play us a good eating, drinking and/or visiting tune!
Have a fantastic weekend! LaughHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7, 4:39pm

Post #2 of 41 (369 views)
Shortcut
*gets plate for buffet* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just snag one of these mini-pepperoni-pizzas, and a fresh peach - 'tis the season for them! Could you pop this in the blender for me for a peach smoothie, please, Altaira?

Daughter and her boyfriend did a lot while here, including the Mystic Aquarium, Mystic Seaport (I didn't realize he loooved old ships!), and the Book Barn (largest reseller of books in New England, I believe, and it's actually several "barns", with a petting zoo and cats galore).

And daughter went through the rest of the stuff in her room. So now I've got a pile of things too heavy/big for the train, to pack up and mail back to them! Laugh

The weather's finally turning cooler, I wonder if any leaves will start their colorful displays this weekend...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 41 (363 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I started to read that as you wanted me to put the peaches *and* the slice of pizza in the blender to make a smoothie. LaughLaugh
Sounds like you had an awesome visit with your daughter and the boyfriend, and what a good mom you are for coordinating after the clean-out. Does she live in a house (as opposed to a dorm) so she has room for everything?
Leaves are probably changing in the mountains by now, but it still looks like summer here.
Enjoy the wonderful Fall weather! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 7, 6:46pm

Post #4 of 41 (366 views)
Shortcut
Chiming in with my first post in 3 years [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello TORNers! I doubt anyone remembers me but it's good to be back. It's election day here in Sweden on Sunday and our divided nation is preparing for a historical election. Hope you're all doing fine in your corner of the world!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 41 (357 views)
Shortcut
Holey moley! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there, stranger! Of course we remember you! So good to see you back - and hope life has been treating you exceptionally well.

FYI, while you were gone, we had to institute a 'no politics' rule for discussions due to the incivility that exists on other parts of the web seeping into TORn. Just mentioning that it's election day is okay though, as long as it doesn't evolve into a discussion of politics.

I hope we see more of you around - your input is missed here! Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 7, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 41 (357 views)
Shortcut
No politics policy [In reply to] Can't Post

Fine by me! It's probably the first time I've ever written about politics here actually, at least from what I can recall. I imagine the rule was set due to some heated discussion here in the past... from which I can surely understand. Few things divide and break up relationships and friendships as much as political discussions, so it's probably best kept away on other platforms.
So good to see you back - and hope life has been treating you exceptionally well.

Thanks! It has been like for everyone else I guess. Some very low points and some high points too. Life is a rollercoaster and so forth. Are all the old regs still here? Magpie, Kangi Ska, Gramma, etc?

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 7, 7:38pm

Post #7 of 41 (355 views)
Shortcut
Btw [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you remember the Days of Yore when we were eagerly checking in every day to see if The Hobbit movies had gotten that elusive Green Light or not? Ahh. Feels like an eternity. I still remember that day 8 years ago waking up and checking this site the first thing in the morning seeing that Guillermo del Toro had left the director's chair and got an uh-oh, these movies are never going to be made feeling. And getting triggered by TORN's April Joke that The Hobbit movies were greenlit... many were quite angry! Those were the days

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 7:48pm

Post #8 of 41 (348 views)
Shortcut
I predict [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma will be by with one of her patented 'flying tackle hugs' shortly. Smile Magpie and Kangi are rare sightings these days, but drop by occasionally. It takes Fiesta a while to get going these days, but if you drop by again in a day or two, and/or scroll down the board, you'll see there are many regulars still around.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 7:52pm

Post #9 of 41 (354 views)
Shortcut
Fun times, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was some nail-biting and grey hair accumulation during that time, for sure. You do know Amazon has purchased the rights for a TV adaptation of LOTR material not yet covered in the books. Rumor has it the first season will concentrate on a young Aragorn. To get more up-to-speed, we even have a new board to discuss it, so exciting times are still ahead of us! Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 7, 8:34pm

Post #10 of 41 (345 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Macfalk [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember you, and I hope you’re not an election junkie like me who stays up all night to watch the returns, and is then a zombie the next day. :)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 10:40pm

Post #11 of 41 (338 views)
Shortcut
Ah, memories. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I Need a Greenlight
(Based on ‘I Need a Hero’ by Bonnie Tyler)

Where have all the hobbits gone and where are all the dwarves?
Where’s the cryptic map of old to find the dragon’s hoard?
Isn’t there a wizard to help them on their feet?
When I’m online I fret at the news and I dream of what we need!

We need greenlight!
We’re holding out for a greenlight so the filming starts now!
We’re holding our breaths, we’re all turning blue
And we need to see a light shining out.
We need a greenlight!
The seasons are turning, we need to get moving,
So the Shire isn’t covered in snow.
(Covered in snow.)

Doo doo doo doooo,
doo doo doo doooo,
doo doo doo doooo
Aaahhh, aaahhh

Somewhere after midnight, in my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There's a Hobbit ticket waiting for me.
Racing on the thunder of a fandom’s racing hearts
Will it take a miracle to get this film to start?

We need greenlight!
We need a greenlight!
The fandom is ageing, the anticipation
Is hastening the stress lines and groans.
(Stress lines and groans.)

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear that Potter’s fandom is laughing at me.
As they tick off all the days ‘til they see
Their two films on the screen
I can feel our waiting like a chill in the blood.

We need greenlight!
We need a greenlight!
We’re drowning in vampires, and kids’ animation,
But the dragon and the dwarves are our own.
We need greenlight!
Welcome back to the boards, macfalk. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 8, 1:05am

Post #12 of 41 (324 views)
Shortcut
Now... [In reply to] Can't Post

...what folks are eagerly (or trepidatiously) searching for is news of Amazon's Middle-earth series.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

squire
Half-elven

Sep 8, 1:32am

Post #13 of 41 (332 views)
Shortcut
"LOTR material not yet covered in the books" [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense, but something about that phrase rubs me the wrong way, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think I understand where Amazon is coming from, and I don't think my opinion means very much in the face of a billion dollar commercial media juggernaut. Whatever that series will be, will be. But if it's not in the books, it's not Lord of the Rings. It's "based on" Lord of the Rings, or "inspired by", or whatever the current phrase is. It's just not right to suggest, even in quick webspeak shorthand, that the LotR book, published in the 1950s, somehow hasn't "yet" presented the plotlines, characters, and settings that this spinoff series will be inventing over the next few years.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 8, 2:08am

Post #14 of 41 (328 views)
Shortcut
I'd imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all the stuff from the movies that got left out of the novelization.
It's like that Tolkien guy didn't even bother watching the films!

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!"
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 8, 2:08am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8, 2:56am

Post #15 of 41 (317 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Macfalk! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very nice to see you again.

I actually visited Sweden two years ago, and thought of you then. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 8, 4:03am

Post #16 of 41 (310 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Take off your shoes and stay a while!Smile

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!"
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 8, 4:55am

Post #17 of 41 (313 views)
Shortcut
I meant: material not yet covered *that's in* the books [In reply to] Can't Post

..or material not yet covered *from* the books - as in the Appendices, etc. That's assuming the rights Amazon has are still limited to things written, alluded to, or described between the covers of LOTR which I think is the case.

I obviously hit a nerve! If you interpreted it as *me* faulting Tolkien or LOTR, that's would be the very *last* thing I would ever do or say. If it's frustration at the fact Amazon will have to invent things to fill in the very big gaps in material from the Appendices, or material only alluded to in The Lord of the Rings proper (such as the life of a younger Aragorn), then I suspect I share your feelings wholeheartedly, if not as passionately. Sincere apologies though, if what my brain knew I meant didn't come across and caused you any angst.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 8, 7:36am

Post #18 of 41 (280 views)
Shortcut
Totally love this parody... *applauds* [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 8, 7:55am

Post #19 of 41 (271 views)
Shortcut
'Morning All! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm viewing this over breakfast, so tea's my drink of choice at present. I did chuckle at the brief visioin of a pizza and peach smoothie! Urgh... Am being all domestic this weekend; I have two old (I use the term advisably, we've been friends for 54 years - argh!) schoolfriends coming to visit next week, so need to get the place tidy. Our long hot summer has fizzled out into changeable weather with a day of rain forecast (just starting as I type) so it's a good day for housework! Apples on my tree are ripe, though many have been interfered with by the codling moth so need to be approached with caution. My daughter's garden (they moved in last winter) has a Bramley apple tree (cooking) and the sweetest little Duchess's Favourite - an old variety - with small red apples that have a tinge of pink in the flesh when you bite into them; they are utterly delicious. Autumn is upon us - season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, as Keats put it.
Did any of our Eastern US Tornsibs see the Viking longship Draken Harald Harfagre recently? She has been visiting 14 ports from Maine to S Carolina. I was lucky enough to visit her during her first major voyage, after she lost her mast and had to wait to have a new one made; she spent some time moored not far from where I live on Merseyside a few years ago. The thought of such a craft crossing the Atlantic is awe-inspiring.
Have a good weekend, however you spend it!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 8, 8:42am

Post #20 of 41 (265 views)
Shortcut
Hey Darkstar [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember your deadpan writing style and that you used to have a knight at a tourney as an avatar.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 8, 8:43am

Post #21 of 41 (264 views)
Shortcut
How cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Which city did you go to?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8, 9:16am

Post #22 of 41 (261 views)
Shortcut
Ystad. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was an amazing exhibition on prehistoric music that moved around various venues in Europe over a two-year period, and its first six months were in Ystad. Since we were going to Europe anyway, we slipped in a few days in Ystad to see the exhibition and have a look around the area. We had a great time there.

I hadn't been to Sweden for many years (my great-grandfather came from Tjörn, and I visited his home village), so it was lovely to return. Part of my heart will always dwell there :).

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 8, 9:29am

Post #23 of 41 (260 views)
Shortcut
As far south as south goes [In reply to] Can't Post

Never been there. I live in Stockholm. The exhibition sounds cool! Must be quite daunting travelling to Europe from NZ, right? Those flight times are murder.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Sep 8, 9:29am)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 8, 12:03pm

Post #24 of 41 (251 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, that is very much clearer [In reply to] Can't Post

And I see how what you wrote made sense to you and to the situation we believe Amazon has bought into. I apologize for jumping down your throat!

But yes, I am rather sensitive to the whole idea of giving entire stories, dialogue, and characters, as likely as not based on half a paragraph or less in the appendices, to a film-oriented public and calling it all "Tolkien". I'm glad to hear you share my misgivings. Again, my apologies for over-reacting.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8, 1:58pm

Post #25 of 41 (235 views)
Shortcut
*gets own cup of tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a cuppa with you! I love when the summer's heat and humidity finally leave, and the cool crispness of autumn begins. I hadn't known of the Duchess's Favourite apples, how lovely that your daughter has apple trees in her garden!

My youngest and her boyfriend visited us this past week, so this morning I'm cleaning up from that - she has a large number of items for me to pack and mail to her, things she couldn't take back on the train (without getting another seat ticket, LOL).

The Longship was in my area, at the Mystic Seaport, for a few months, but I never did get over to see her! Daughter and boyfriend did get over there to see the Viking exhibit, but he didn't need to see the longship: he had already rowed it! Apparently he's in some ship-loving organization, and when it was in Chicago, he had the opportunity to help row it on Lake Michigan. He was gushing about its seaworthiness. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.