Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Casting for Aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 18, 8:55pm

Post #51 of 61 (4227 views)
Shortcut
Possibly...too good-looking? [In reply to] Can't Post

'I see,' laughed Strider. 'I look foul and feel fair. Is that it?'

Hoult looks like he should screen test for Superman. Seriously!

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 18, 9:00pm)

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Jul 19, 8:45am

Post #52 of 61 (4168 views)
Shortcut
Possibly....too good looking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes he can be a bit of a pretty boy when he is cleaned up and shaven but roughen up the image a bit and he has a strong chin like Viggo, smoky eyes and I think could pull it off as a somewhat naiver, younger version. Don't know how tall he is mind. He does need to be a six footer!! I tried touching up a photo of him but I couldn't upload the damn thing. Imagine your photo with a bit of dirt, long unkempt hair and rough shaven. Hey Presto, we are getting closer. Not perfect, but if they are looking for a reasonable likeness to Viggo.............(not that they'd be listening to me!!!) Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 19, 12:18pm

Post #53 of 61 (4154 views)
Shortcut
Nicholas Hoult is tall. [In reply to] Can't Post

Allegedly, Hoult is 6'3" (1.9m). He's actually several inches taller than Viggo. Viggo's son Henry Mortensen is 30 years old, is 6'2" and also an actor.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 7, 2:03am

Post #54 of 61 (3702 views)
Shortcut
Benidict Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

He is the obvious choice if he would accept it.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

squire
Half-elven

Sep 7, 2:42am

Post #55 of 61 (3700 views)
Shortcut
Too obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

I love his style, but I disagree that he is a good Aragorn. His actorly persona is too knowing, too ironic, to be Aragorn.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 7, 3:57am

Post #56 of 61 (3687 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7, 4:11am

Post #57 of 61 (3692 views)
Shortcut
Not Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

He's too old now to play Aragorn in his period of great journeys and errantries. And I agree with the view that his persona is all wrong.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 7, 4:12am)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Oct 28, 12:40am

Post #58 of 61 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Sebastian Stan is an incredible actor [In reply to] Can't Post

He would be an awesome Aragorn, honestly. Maybe a bit too old, though, I guess.

How about Cody Christian? He's 23. I like him. I've been doing a lot of searching for actors, recently; fan-casting for my own books. Others I've found, who I now want to have a part in Middle-earth, include Yvonne Orji (amazing smile; she's black, early 30s), Luke Mitchell (early 30s), Dylan Sprayberry (20), Katherine McNamara (Arwen possibility?), Lilly Collins (can't wait to see how she'll do as Edith Bratt in the Tolkien biopic), Eleanor Tomlinson (can't remember how old she is right off the bat, 30s I think, Elvish look): and a bunch others. I hope that there's more fan-casting as time goes along. I live for this stuff, and I really haven't seen a lot yet.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28, 1:12pm

Post #59 of 61 (953 views)
Shortcut
Too pretty? [In reply to] Can't Post

'I think one of his spies would--well, seem fairer and feel fouler, if you understand.'

'I see,' laughed Strider. 'I look foul and seem fair. Is that it?'

'A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship. But there, I believe my looks are against me.'

I wonder if Cody Christian (Pretty Little Liars) is too conventionally good-looking for the part of Aragorn? It could be a hard role to cast since the actor might be required to go from young adulthood to near middle-age. It is fortunate that Aragorn ages so slowly that, even at eight-seven years, he appears to be only a fraction of that.

Yvonne Orji might have to wait until Aragorn's travels take him to Umbar or Far Harad.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 28, 1:20pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28, 2:27pm

Post #60 of 61 (934 views)
Shortcut
Luke Mitchell and others. [In reply to] Can't Post

Luke Mitchell seems like a strong candidate.

Dylan Sprayberry (5'5") is a bit short for a Ranger (much less Strider).

Katherine McNamara. I would prefer a taller (and possibly British) actress for Arwen.

Lilly Collins looks more regal, but also short.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Oct 28, 2:55pm

Post #61 of 61 (916 views)
Shortcut
Not Dylan Sprayberry for Strider, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

He is pretty short. I thought actually maybe young Grima (which is not meant as an insult to Mr. Sprayberry).
And as for Arwen, I thought it might be somewhat fitting if the woman playing Tolkien's wife (the inspiration for Arwen) also played Arwen herself. I've seen a lot of people wanting to cast Saoirse Ronan, but I personally think she's too…I don't know, there's something about her eyes that gives off more of an eerie look than enchanting. Maybe she could be Galadriel, though? There are, of course, plenty of opportunities to race-bend some characters, but I feel like purists would absolutely go through the roof if that ever happened – but Harad and Rhun offer opportunities for actors/actresses of many other ethnicities. Tuba Buyukustun, for instance, is a great Turkish actress. Saiyami Kher has a real grace to her, and there's also Omar Borkan al Gala, who lives in Djibouti, I think, very good-looking guy. However, as there aren't really any defined characters from places like Harad, these are just names, and don't really apply to anybody in particular.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.