Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Colbert connects Chance the Rapper and Childish Gambino with the Lay of Eärendil

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 4 2018, 7:03pm

Post #1 of 10 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Colbert connects Chance the Rapper and Childish Gambino with the Lay of Eärendil Can't Post

This is very cool. Colbert really does get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmr_CtN1K3g

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 4 2018, 7:25pm

Post #2 of 10 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Well that's a subject line I didn't expect to see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved that! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 4 2018, 7:29pm

Post #3 of 10 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Colbert is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...such a magnificent geek! Cool

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

irasel
The Shire

Sep 5 2018, 1:00am

Post #4 of 10 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Colbert confusing poems? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Colbert is confusing 'The Song of Eärendil' from the Lord of the Rings with the poem 'The Voyage of Éarendel the Evening Star' (aka Éalá Éarendel Engla Beorhtast) from The Book of the Lost Tales II and also with 'The Lay of Eärendil' from The Lays of Beleriand. I think he is mixing them all. The lyrics he sings are from the 'The Song of Eärendil'. The poem considered the origin of all the mithology is the much earlier 'The Voyage of Éarendel the Evening Star' though. Confusingly, he apparently refers to it as 'The Lay of Eärendil', which is a different poem. Or am I the one confused?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 5 2018, 4:43am

Post #5 of 10 (2415 views)
Shortcut
I think you are overthinking it [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's song is both the most complete and by far the best well known verse about Earendil. It is the direct descendent of the earlier poems and connects the origin of Tolkien's mythology to his best known work, The Lord of the Rings. That is what Colbert is saying, while also connecting the unusual meter of the verse with that of the rap song.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

irasel
The Shire

Sep 5 2018, 9:37am

Post #6 of 10 (2386 views)
Shortcut
I get your point [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess my love for accuracy sees Colbert's explanation as an imprecise oversimplification. CoolWink

(This post was edited by irasel on Sep 5 2018, 9:38am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 5 2018, 2:32pm

Post #7 of 10 (2370 views)
Shortcut
A love of accuracy is no bad thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Says the person who spent hundreds of hours trying to trace the source of every line in The Silmarillion.)

The Hall of Fire

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 5 2018, 3:32pm

Post #8 of 10 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 7 2018, 2:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Colbert makes geekdom cool. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2018, 11:21am

Post #10 of 10 (1738 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops... spreads to geeky handclapping* Only Colbert! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a wealth of passion and creativity when it comes to Tolkien! Colbert is AWESOME! I'm SO happy to have someone with is platform and geekiness out there feeding us these treasures!

THANKS STEPHEN... and Thank You, VtF :D This is fantastic!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.